do any amateur + golfers on here play on a tour?

itsamomentintime

Medal Winner
Visit site
reading some of the threads on here, it seems that there are some very good amateur golfers about - i'm talking + handicaps.

I was wondering if anyone has played on a tour, for instance the Europro Tour? I believe the entry handicap required is 2, plus a £295 fee.

I understand that the pros on such tours are very good however has anyone pitted their wits against them and if so, how was it?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
one of the scratch golfers at our club has played regularly on the jamega tour this year, he wasnt overly competitve but said he learnt a lot from getting to play regularly with better players, think it was run in conjunction with the SFG. Pretty sure an amateur won one of them at the Shire

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I thought that there wasn't a handicap requirement for events, just for becoming a teaching pro / something like that? Could be wrong but would like to know if I am.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I thought that there wasn't a handicap requirement for events, just for becoming a teaching pro / something like that? Could be wrong but would like to know if I am.

hes talking about playing as an amateur in a pro event rather than turning pro, they set handicap limits for those amateurs

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Amateurs can only enter europro tour school, to have a card they need to turn pro.

Amateurs who enter Qualifying School and retain their Amateur Status during the event will have the option to either keep their respective category and become a Professional or retain their Amateur Status and forfeit their PGA EuroPro Tour Membership (for which there will be no refund). An amateur who relinquishes their Membership category at this time may regain it retrospectively at any time on the PGA EuroPro Tour schedule at no extra cost.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Amateurs can only enter europro tour school, to have a card they need to turn pro.

Amateurs who enter Qualifying School and retain their Amateur Status during the event will have the option to either keep their respective category and become a Professional or retain their Amateur Status and forfeit their PGA EuroPro Tour Membership (for which there will be no refund). An amateur who relinquishes their Membership category at this time may regain it retrospectively at any time on the PGA EuroPro Tour schedule at no extra cost.

they do allow local amateur entries in some of the tournies though dont they sam

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
they do allow local amateur entries in some of the tournies though dont they sam

Sponsors invites i think. not really sure how it works. quite a few amateurs get their europro cards so that if they turn pro later in the year they have events they can get straight into.

Marco Penge for example, as soon as he wasnt in running any longer for walker cup, turned pro and played europro.

D

Deleted member 1147

I know a couple of Lads from Derbyshire who played 1836Tour events as amateurs, but they were both +4 handicappers!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
one of the scratch golfers at our club has played regularly on the jamega tour this year, he wasnt overly competitve but said he learnt a lot from getting to play regularly with better players, think it was run in conjunction with the SFG. Pretty sure an amateur won one of them at the Shire

We had the Jamega tour twice with a lot of wannabee amateurs sponsored by bank of mum and dad and you could see that even at that level they were out of their depth. I hope they also learned something from it. Looking at the attitudes of some I doubt it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had the Jamega tour twice with a lot of wannabee amateurs sponsored by bank of mum and dad and you could see that even at that level they were out of their depth. I hope they also learned something from it. Looking at the attitudes of some I doubt it

I played a corporate pro am a couple of years ago with a young bloke from Yorkshire as my pro. I think he was on the Euro pro. He was hugely scathing of predominantly home counties wannabe pro's who were bankrolled by mum and dad whilst clearly not good enough. What particularly griped him was seeing them turn up week after week in new Range Rovers, staying in nice hotels whilst he scraped by in bog standard accommodation and a dodgy old car.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

guy from our place shot 70/71 round yours i think, came about 40th, winner shot 62 on one of the days, tough to be too competitive against that as an amateur holding down a full time job!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played a corporate pro am a couple of years ago with a young bloke from Yorkshire as my pro. I think he was on the Euro pro. He was hugely scathing of predominantly home counties wannabe pro's who were bankrolled by mum and dad whilst clearly not good enough. What particularly griped him was seeing them turn up week after week in new Range Rovers, staying in nice hotels whilst he scraped by in bog standard accommodation and a dodgy old car.

was a great article written a few years ago from a guy who called it a day talking about that attitude. Pro ive played in the pro ams with has won several times on the Euro pro, got the impression he didnt think there were too many in each field who could actually win over 3 rounds

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Why does he care so much? just sounds of jealousy.

If he was good enough he would move onto challenge tour or european tour and leave them behind

True sticks don't notice all the noise around them at comps ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
guy from our place shot 70/71 round yours i think, came about 40th, winner shot 62 on one of the days, tough to be too competitive against that as an amateur holding down a full time job!

Think there were a couple of 62's over the two days, a 63 and some 64's so definitely a good scoring couple of days. The guy that won at Ascot won the Jamega order of merit so wasn't a flash in the pan but I agree that coming up against pros capable of shooting that low makes life very hard for the amateurs. Mind you it is a developmental tour so you have to hope that they can learn, build and come back if they turn pro a better player for the experience

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

If he was good enough he would move onto challenge tour or european tour and leave them behind

End of a long season. He was tired, grumpy and he wasn't breaking through as he hoped. No complaints about his own level of play, he accepted his lot, although wanted to improve.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
What is with the guys that qualify for the open an the masters? They seem to be amateurs that then move up to the tours. Bryson Dechaump springs to mind because he stood out with his single length irons and his silly hat.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
What is with the guys that qualify for the open an the masters? They seem to be amateurs that then move up to the tours. Bryson Dechaump springs to mind because he stood out with his single length irons and his silly hat.

He qualified for winning the US amateur. There is quite a few amateur events that lead to an invite to some of the majors.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

More frustration that jealousy I think. It's a tough road to becoming a Tour Pro and getting financial backing is one of them. You get someone being bankrolled by bank of mum and dad, they have access to top coaching, not having to work between comps to make ends meet, so plenty of time to practice. Staying at on course accommodation, so not having to stay in a holiday inn an hour away because of cost.

I can see how frustration would come out. When you are still beating these guys without access to what they have, it makes you wonder how good you would be if you did. From articles I've read and talking with failed EuroPro players, I have come to notice one thing, it's a long tough lonely road to becoming a Tour Pro when you don't really have the money to afford it.