DMDs

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
if DMDs can only be used if there is a local rule in place. can you put a local rule in place saying that mobile phones can be used as a dmd. and if any dmd is used you have to if asked for distances provide them

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
if DMDs can only be used if there is a local rule in place. can you put a local rule in place saying that mobile phones can be used as a dmd. and if any dmd is used you have to if asked for distances provide them

you seem to be asking 3 questions,

1. DMD's can only be used if a LR is in place - yes
2. can you put a LR in place that mobiles can be used as DMDs? not really; without the LR in 1 in place no DMD's can be used, with it in place all DMD's that comply with the rules can be used. You cannot restrict which can be used.
3. can you require a player to share information from a DMD with a FC or opponent? - No; it's up to the player to provide it if they wish. There is no penalty on the other player for asking though.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
you seem to be asking 3 questions,

1. DMD's can only be used if a LR is in place - yes
2. can you put a LR in place that mobiles can be used as DMDs? not really; without the LR in 1 in place no DMD's can be used, with it in place all DMD's that comply with the rules can be used. You cannot restrict which can be used.
3. can you require a player to share information from a DMD with a FC or opponent? - No; it's up to the player to provide it if they wish. There is no penalty on the other player for asking though.

thanks im in the process of putting a local rule in place

just had another thought on number 3. if we made it part of the clubs rules and conditions of membership (or im i having a breakdown here)

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

just had another thought on number 3. if we made it part of the clubs rules and conditions of membership (or im i having a breakdown here)

it would just cause confusion IMO. You could only have non-golf penalties associated with it eg fines etc. You would be better making a soft recommendation that people share, possibly via advice that the rules permit sharing this information as it is not advice but factual information.

all, and any, LRs should use the exact wording in the Rules Appendix Draft local rules.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Am intrigued to learn why you want a rule compelling players to share distance information?

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Am intrigued to learn why you want a rule compelling players to share distance information?

good question i dont but some on the committee do, because other clubs have a rule or agreement in place. spent half an hour at monthly meeting discussing it tonite and still not any further forward.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
good question i dont but some on the committee do, because other clubs have a rule or agreement in place. spent half an hour at monthly meeting discussing it tonite and still not any further forward.

So, the pedant in me asks... Any thoughts as to why have the other clubs got it? I cant think of a decent reason for it being there?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why should someone have to share information from their DMD. I am happy to do it and have no problem with it. But making someone share it just because someone else does not have one seems unfair. What next, I carry a lob wedge so someone who does not have needs one he can borrow mine as long as he does not have 14 clubs in his bag already?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I dont get the sharing information bit at all.

So player A spends £200 + on a DMD and the 3 playing with him are within their rights to demand that he gives them any distances that they require? Sorry, I generally do give a yardage if asked, but compelled to, no chance, and would I have to walk to my 3 playing partners ball in turn on every shot to help them beat me?

Quite honestly, this is the daftest thing that I've read for ages and you really must tell your committee they would be better of making a rule that players are compelled to share their brollies if its raining and their playing partners are too tight to buy one!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So one guy spends £200 on a dmd, and another spends the same on a scotty Cameron. It's personal choice.

What ever your local rule about Dmd says, you still can't make use of an iPhone legal.

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I dont get this either. Why should you share a DMD distance with anyone???? I totally agree that if you want to spend £200 for a DMD and the other 3 in your group dont then thats up to them and you shouldnt have to give them any distances. If they ask on a par 3 or something then thats up to you to give them any info but to say you are 'forced' to by a local rule is mind boggling.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm happy to share an occasional yardage, or 3, with anyone in my group. But I'll always prefix it with 'I've got' or 'It say's' to 'protect' myself from accidentally giving wrong information. I also don't have a problem being asked what the reading is on Par 3s or what reading I got from Laser at the point I measured it.

However, if there were multiple requests for readings for others, I'd consider suggesting a payment - the cost of a Strokesaver springs to mind.

Compulsion is ridiculous, though I've also seen instances of secrecy - which is just as bad. It seems likely, to me, that it's that refusal that the committee is trying to 'manage'. I believe there are better ways of achieving that balance without it being another case of Committee-itis.

BTW. Does the club have a Local Rule allowing DMDs yet? If so, what prompted the perceived need for this addition?

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm happy to share an occasional yardage, or 3, with anyone in my group. But I'll always prefix it with 'I've got' or 'It say's' to 'protect' myself from accidentally giving wrong information. I also don't have a problem being asked what the reading is on Par 3s or what reading I got from Laser at the point I measured it.

However, if there were multiple requests for readings for others, I'd consider suggesting a payment - the cost of a Strokesaver springs to mind.

Compulsion is ridiculous, though I've also seen instances of secrecy - which is just as bad. It seems likely, to me, that it's that refusal that the committee is trying to 'manage'. I believe there are better ways of achieving that balance without it being another case of Committee-itis.

BTW. Does the club have a Local Rule allowing DMDs yet? If so, what prompted the perceived need for this addition?

see post 4 and 5