Distance markers at the driving range

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got myself a Bushnell DMD yesterday and while at the driving range I thought I'd check out the distance markers. There were discrepancies, surprise surprise, the 175yd marker was actually 148yds and the 250yds marker at the back of the range was 225yds.

So just when you thought those little yellow range balls were flying out to prodigeous distances, they're not, chances are the range is marked wrong.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got myself a Bushnell DMD yesterday and while at the driving range I thought I'd check out the distance markers. There were discrepancies, surprise surprise, the 175yd marker was actually 148yds and the 250yds marker at the back of the range was 225yds.

So just when you thought those little yellow range balls were flying out to prodigeous distances, they're not, chances are the range is marked wrong.

And the range balls will not have the same characteristics as game ball. my local range has 80% balls.. and their markers are closer than they advertise too, i GPS'd it when i was the only one there!

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Really good ranges have proper balls and distance markers at the real distance.
Good ranges well looked after have reduced compression balls and markers at an appropriately reduced distance.
Bad ranges have rubbish balls and randomly placed distance markers.

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I never really trust the distance markers at the range-at the one I use most I use the distance markers to mark out imaginary fairways or greens then just find the best club for hitting to them if that makes sense!?

G

guest100718

Ah yes the dissapointed look when I tell the bloke whos going on about how far is driver is going that the 250 marker is really only 218 yards away....