distance between irons

steve7

Head Pro
Visit site
All the best for 2012 to all.
Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to mark distances between irons from 5 to 9,as I am new to golf not sure what up and down yardage is ,say for instance 7 iron 140 yards,how do I without going to a field workout approx other distances for irons.Thanks for all replies.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I work on 10yds difference between irons (except wedges) and it gets me round ok. I've never measured anything longer than my 9 iron.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think you need to measure at least one club such as a 6 or 7 iron to get an idea of your average distance to base the figures on. Some on here hit their 7 iron 190 yards (allegedly ) whilst I hit mine 139 with my old TP's and now average 144 with my R11's. After that I'd say 10 yards per club is a pretty good guesstimate

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
as above, I worked out my 150yd club which is my 7 iron, I then do 10 yards either way for respective irons. It works ok although I do hit the odd beast which can be upto 20 yards longer (not on demand unfortunately)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I measure my 7 iron from time to time and I know the distances of my wedges.
I also know how far I hit my 5 wood off the grass (average). That's all I need.

Anything more scientific than that I'd leave to proper players!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
...although I do hit the odd beast which can be upto 20 yards longer (not on demand unfortunately)

I have this. I hit an 8 iron into the 9th back in the summer and my partner watched it and said "Dave, mate! it's on the path outside the pro shop!"

I set the skycaddie and walked to my ball. 186 yards away, it had landed just off the back of the green (150ish) and jumped on down the hill, past the entrance to the changing room and off down the path!

Someone suggested giving it a nudge all the way down the golf club drive and seeing if I could get a 300 yarder out of it....