Dispersion and Shaft Flex

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The shape the ball is taking is more my concern. I'm simply curious to see if a stiffer shaft will help help me not lose so many left.
When you mentioned 'dispersion' I take that to mean that of your normal 'good' shots. Faulty swings (hooks being the worst) don't count!

The hook is a (randomly occurring) swing problem that a stiffer shaft will not solve - though it might reduce the frequency, and maybe the severity, slightly!

The idiots on WRX and BSG have been trying for years to buy anti-hook Drivers - which don't exist - when all they really need is to stop trying to smash the b-j's out of it. A pro mate plays with Regular shafts because, with anything stiffer, his hands over-compensate and over-draws (at best) are the result. With a strong X-flex, 3* open, 8* Driver, the only result was pull-hooks!

Find the flex that works best for you and stick with it!

Btw. I have seen a shaft make 1500 rpm change, but that was from 4300 to 2800 so, while dramatic, it was really because the original shaft was a distinct mis-fit rather than what a 'typical' shaft change would achieve.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
When you mentioned 'dispersion' I take that to mean that of your normal 'good' shots. Faulty swings (hooks being the worst) don't count!

The hook is a (randomly occurring) swing problem that a stiffer shaft will not solve - though it might reduce the frequency, and maybe the severity, slightly!

The idiots on WRX and BSG have been trying for years to buy anti-hook Drivers - which don't exist - when all they really need is to stop trying to smash the b-j's out of it. A pro mate plays with Regular shafts because, with anything stiffer, his hands over-compensate and over-draws (at best) are the result. With a strong X-flex, 3* open, 8* Driver, the only result was pull-hooks!

Find the flex that works best for you and stick with it!

Btw. I have seen a shaft make 1500 rpm change, but that was from 4300 to 2800 so, while dramatic, it was really because the original shaft was a distinct mis-fit rather than what a 'typical' shaft change would achieve.

Totally agree.

It's not a hook or hook flight I'm trying to cure. I know when I hit a big hook it's, probably down to my ball position creeping back too far.

That isn't the issue I'm looking to rectify.

The flight I get is a very forward flight and, usually, the right to left shape is minimal. Starting fractionally right and curving back to the middle of the fairway.

The issue I have and I'm looking for 'help' with has started to happen with greater frequency lately. The height of the shot and starting line are fine, but the ball is curving past where I'm usually landing the ball and finishing left edge of the fairway or first cut. Not every time, I think it happened, out of 6 times I took driver last weekend, twice. Other drives found either the fairway or right rough when I found the push but not the draw :mad:

It's not a violent hook flight I'm trying to cure, that'll be purely down to me. I'm just trying to tighten the dispersion on my regular shots. Nothing more :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's not a violent hook flight I'm trying to cure, that'll be purely down to me. I'm just trying to tighten the dispersion on my regular shots. Nothing more :)

Still a little 'all over the place' imo, but often just a case of swing changes bedding in - and getting the brain to trust it!

Much better to have a single 'miss' to allow for. I hit nearly every fairway on Sunday (the stupid thought on the last tee still gets in my craw!) by aiming left half, letting any slight fade bring it back to centre and my push was never past the right-mid.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Still a little 'all over the place' imo, but often just a case of swing changes bedding in - and getting the brain to trust it!

Much better to have a single 'miss' to allow for. I hit nearly every fairway on Sunday (the stupid thought on the last tee still gets in my craw!) by aiming left half, letting any slight fade bring it back to centre and my push was never past the right-mid.

My typical 'miss' at the minute is left. That said if I get lazy and late I tend to hit the block, but the majority of my misses are now an over draw past target.

The block, as you said earlier is just down to a poor swing/timing not a constant issue.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
A quick update on this.

Absolutely love the shaft!!

Don't get me wrong I can still spray it around with the best of them on a bad day but my misses are much better with this shaft.

As a side note: Does anyone have any experience with the Graphite Design YS-6 FW+ shaft? Specifically how it compares to the Tour AD YSQ (Stiff flex) that I have in my driver.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A quick update on this.

Absolutely love the shaft!!

Don't get me wrong I can still spray it around with the best of them on a bad day but my misses are much better with this shaft.

As a side note: Does anyone have any experience with the Graphite Design YS-6 FW+ shaft? Specifically how it compares to the Tour AD YSQ (Stiff flex) that I have in my driver.

I've hit a couple of 3 woods with this shaft (at least the YS6) - and it's another pretty 'standard - fits almost everyone' shaft. Rule of thumb says you should probably be using a slightly heavier one though - about 75gms. So the YS7 might be more suited.

Supposedly the YSQ series is a tad stiffer in butt and tip than the YS series - which probably translates to slightly lower flight.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've hit a couple of 3 woods with this shaft (at least the YS6) - and it's another pretty 'standard - fits almost everyone' shaft. Rule of thumb says you should probably be using a slightly heavier one though - about 75gms. So the YS7 might be more suited.

Supposedly the YSQ series is a tad stiffer in butt and tip than the YS series - which probably translates to slightly lower flight.

Thanks for that Fox.

With it being a 4 wood I may be able to get away with a lighter shaft perhaps.

The Kai'li (reg) I have in the 4 wood currently is 75g I think.