Discuss

inthecup

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just out of interest, how much would you fine the person, is there a fixed amount at your club?

A months wages! Some of these views are exactly why the younger generation are staying away from golf clubs. Are we aloud to fart on the course? At my place it's ok so long as its a silent one and doesn't smell!

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll take the above as sarcasm!

I wouldn't.

inthecup said:
Had we teed off at our time then stood on the first green for 10 minutes then all would have been ok. What's the difference? Also if the tee was even remotely busy I would never have dreamed of missing my time. If I had turned up with no time reserved and done the same all would be ok. If I had phoned the shop earlier and changed my time all would have bees ok.

Rules are rules but sometimes discretion has to take over. I assume most of us work hard all week and a round at the weekend gets us Through and also pay a lot of money to play the game too. Hardly the rule break of the century.

But the fact is you never. You sat in the car as it was a bit wet. Rules are rules and discretion plays no part in it otherwise you leave the door open to all sorts of abuses.

Would you pull someone up for breaking a rule on the course?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The Pro got it right. Whether he's a to$$3r or not has nowt to do with it. As for "I work vewy vewy hard..." Man up and put the pet lip away. If you don't like the rules of golf, try something that fits your attitude.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In the cup

Has it even occured to you that you and your gang were deliberately trying to gain an advantage on the rest of the field?
[Who were manfully playing through this rainstorm]

I can just see Bernhard Langer saying to Ivor on the first tee at Turnberry today. 'I think we will hold on for 10 minutes to see if this squall passes by'

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What would have happened if, instead of waiting in you car, you went into the shop and said we are going to give it ten minutes to see if the weather improves? The pro would surely have said you have to go out now, otherwise you would miss your slot and then you could have made a decision.
If it was a qualifying comp then I would have to agree with the pro, even if he has zilch people skills, but if it was just a charity roll up then I can't see why you couldn't have gone out....

inthecup

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Pro got it right. Whether he's a to$$3r or not has nowt to do with it. As for "I work vewy vewy hard..." Man up and put the pet lip away. If you don't like the rules of golf, try something that fits your attitude.

Not looking for personal insults. I gave MY opinion on what my views are.

Some have the same opinion some don't, it's what makes the world go round.

Look at the thread heading, DISCUSS!

I'm away now to give my plus fours and hickory shafts a dusting for a round at the 12 hole links!

inthecup

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In the cup

Has it even occured to you that you and your gang were deliberately trying to gain an advantage on the rest of the field?
[Who were manfully playing through this rainstorm]

I can just see Bernhard Langer saying to Ivor on the first tee at Turnberry today. 'I think we will hold on for 10 minutes to see if this squall passes by'

No it actually never occurred to me otherwise I wouldn't have done it. Or are you suggesting I deliberately go out to break the rules? Rest assured I have learned from my mistake and it won't happen again.

T

thecraw

Don't be late today Crawford, oh wait your ok its Andy who's working today!

:rofl:

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No sympathy whatsoever. It is a COMPETITION not a friendly knockabout. All competitions have rules of entry be it golf or any other sport.
If your Pro were to let it go chaos would reign as I commented in a recent thread.

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
Fair enough,the OP admitted he made a mistake but the attitudes on this thread are hilarious. Have him fined,have him banned,personal insults. Brilliant!

I turned up late for my last medal ,tee had been booked solid all day. The pro simply let the group behind go out before us and told me not to worry about it.that's common sense and people skills. Different if you're late every week.

The attitudes on here really put me off this forum. It's starting to resemble a snotty boys club

T

thecraw

Fair enough,the OP admitted he made a mistake but the attitudes on this thread are hilarious. Have him fined,have him banned,personal insults. Brilliant!

I turned up late for my last medal ,tee had been booked solid all day. The pro simply let the group behind go out before us and told me not to worry about it.that's common sense and people skills. Different if you're late every week.

The attitudes on here really put me off this forum. It's starting to resemble a snotty boys club

Brotherly love or not. The rules were adhered to Grant. There are clubs that WILL automatically ban you from the next medal if you don't turn up. I agree that the castle is a poor example but some clubs have such demand for medal spots that failing to trap and denying someone else a starting spot is a big no no. Fine well I can't understand that one.

If you turned up late for your last medal then the club is wrong, you should not have been allowed to play and as such if you broke your handicap then your playing off a false handicap. The rules of golf quite clearly state

"Failure to start on time is covered by Rule 6-3, which provides that “the player must start at the time established by the Committee.” The penalty for a breach of this Rule was altered as of 1 January 2012 to state“If the player arrives at his starting point, ready to play, within five minutes after his starting time, the penalty for failure to start on time is loss of the first hole in match play or two strokes at the first hole in stroke play. Otherwise, the penalty for a breach of this Rule is disqualification.
Bogey and par competitions – See Note 2 to Rule 32-1a.
Stableford competitions – See Note 2 to Rule 32-1b."

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site

get you, im told you can now turn up and play at anytime on a saturday at your golf club.:thup:

inthecup

Assistant Pro
Visit site
“If the player arrives at his starting point, ready to play, within five minutes after his starting time, the penalty for failure to start on time is loss of the first hole in match play or two strokes at the first hole in stroke play. Otherwise, the penalty for a breach of this Rule is disqualification.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

There must be a lot of people playing off a false handicap then. Hold your hand up if you have never ever been late for your time.

I see guys running on to the tee all the time. Need to start pulling them up! Also where do we stand if the games are running late. Do we all get penalised?

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
Brotherly love or not. The rules were adhered to Grant. There are clubs that WILL automatically ban you from the next medal if you don't turn up. I agree that the castle is a poor example but some clubs have such demand for medal spots that failing to trap and denying someone else a starting spot is a big no no. Fine well I can't understand that one.

If you turned up late for your last medal then the club is wrong, you should not have been allowed to play and as such if you broke your handicap then your playing off a false handicap. The rules of golf quite clearly state

"Failure to start on time is covered by Rule 6-3, which provides that “the player must start at the time established by the Committee.” The penalty for a breach of this Rule was altered as of 1 January 2012 to state“If the player arrives at his starting point, ready to play, within five minutes after his starting time, the penalty for failure to start on time is loss of the first hole in match play or two strokes at the first hole in stroke play. Otherwise, the penalty for a breach of this Rule is disqualification.

Craw, i'm not disputing that the rules should be adhered to, but as amateur golfers with lives to live we can be given the benefit of the doubt on the odd occasion. I couldn't get away from work for the last medal and got there as quickly as i could. Phoned the pro shop and no-one answered. I'd done 70 ours that week and was looking forward to my round. If they'd told me i couldn't play i'd have told them what to do with their membership.

Anyhow, the bro should've gone into the shop and signed in as he's admitted, but the vitriol aimed at him on this thread is what rips my knitting. Some people take things WWAAAYYY too seriously

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No sympathy whatsoever. It is a COMPETITION not a friendly knockabout. All competitions have rules of entry be it golf or any other sport.
If your Pro were to let it go chaos would reign as I commented in a recent thread.

really! im in the people are taking this a bit too far camp!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'll take the above as sarcasm!

Had we teed off at our time then stood on the first green for 10 minutes then all would have been ok. What's the difference? Also if the tee was even remotely busy I would never have dreamed of missing my time. If I had turned up with no time reserved and done the same all would be ok. If I had phoned the shop earlier and changed my time all would have bees ok.

Rules are rules but sometimes discretion has to take over. I assume most of us work hard all week and a round at the weekend gets us Through and also pay a lot of money to play the game too. Hardly the rule break of the century.

At 20 past midnight. I'm certain Iains post was serious and not sarcasm.

Have to say I agree with the pro, if you have a time booked and don't make it on time then DQ, rules are rules, anal or not.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There must be a lot of people playing off a false handicap then. Hold your hand up if you have never ever been late for your time.

I see guys running on to the tee all the time. Need to start pulling them up! Also where do we stand if the games are running late. Do we all get penalised?

I've never been late at my club, if I have a time I'm out. If I didn't fancy it I cal the pro and cancel.

Medals do run late but it's not an excuse to turn up late.

inthecup

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So if us with kids living the normal life as a working man are running a few minutes late due to the kids being unwell / up all night or get stuck in traffic etc we should be disqualified, fined and banished to the pit of golfing doom.

Think some people are taking this a little too far.

Last edited: