Disabled Golf

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And we think we have problems. Just watching the European Disabled Golf Championships on Sky. Amazing skills some of these golfers have. I reckon we could all learn something from watching them.

D

Deleted member 18121

I played a round before with Roger Hurcombe :

tattoo-inspires-team-win-for-roger-hurcombe-in-the-farmfoods-celebrity-f43e07.jpg

It was amazing to watch him play, he's a lovely bloke and not only that he kicked my behind.

DCB

Visit site
Certainly an inspiration to see how some of these folks have managed to carry on playing the game. I've seen amputees and even a blind guy playing, all truly amazing. There is a very good organisation up here, Scottish Disability Golf, that do a lot to get disabled players playing regularly. From my own experience I've found that you have to learn to look at the game slightly differently and to play to your strengths and accept the bad shots as part of the game. I remember my first full swing with a driver after I restarted my golf, I was terrified that I'd fall flat on my face as I had no feel or perception as to how my swing was post accident. I ended up with a fresh air shot and burst out laughing. At least I hadn't fallen forward and landed on the ball. Now I know what my body can do and play accordingly. I'm just happy that I can still play a little golf now and again.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We have a guy at our club who has one arm. Good player too. Think hes off 14.

Played for Europe in a recent disability ryder cup.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a deteriorating disorder and have not played for 2 years. Can I requalify for a new handicap or must I keep my old one

There's provision in the basis rules to re-qualify and you can also get dispensation given certain conditions. It's not straightforward but can be done through a handicap secretary as I remember - I looked at it around 3 years ago and thought I qualified with a degenerative condition.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a guy at our club who has one arm. Good player too. Think hes off 14.

Played for Europe in a recent disability ryder cup.

Was at the driving range once and guy next to me looked to have zero use of one arm- his ball striking was superb- put mine to shame.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the guys on the tv only had one leg and played without a prosthetic. His balance during the swing was amazing. Puts my sway to the right to shame.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I played a round before with Roger Hurcombe :

View attachment 23576

It was amazing to watch him play, he's a lovely bloke and not only that he kicked my behind.

One of the lads at our club only has the one leg, very often see him sat in the boot of his car changing falsies, not sure what the difference between the two prosthetics is but he plays quite well (off 9 I think) so it obviously works whatever it is... :thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We had a go at one arm golf at a par 3. Really difficult as you can imagine.

First arm i tired i didnt even make contact. The other wasnt much better. Made a double lol

Big respect to anyone who plays this game with any kind of disability.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had the pleasure of playing with Scott a battlebacker at H4H day yesterday, I believe he is going to join the forum, he really is a top man.

Would love to see those guys on here. We'd love them at more meets. I speak with a blind golfer call Colin Chandler (https://twitter.com/chandler_colin) and we're trying to sort a game out together and I want to try and get some on camera to show people that a disability doesn't mean you can't golf