Different flex shafts in the same bag

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Has anyone ever come across this?

A friend who I played with today has a stiff flex Calaway driver, but his 3 and 5 wood that aren't Calaway (..... And also his Nike irons i think) are a regular flex.

He hits them all really well and is an excellent ball striker. His woods (3&5) have plenty of height while his drives are low with a penetrating flight (probably due to the stiff flex)

Just looking for peoples opinions on this. Is it a good or bad idea to have different flexes in the bag?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not totally uncommon for people to have different flex clubs though it is likely to be the driver that is the different one as people will try and swing harder with the driver, also different brand and type of shafts can be very different to others in the supposed same flex

I had a driver fitting yesterday and to me some of the stiff shafts felt stiffer than some other brands extra stiff ones, so is entirely possibly and if they work for the individual then why not

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Flex is very variable between brands and regular in one does not necessarily compare to regular in another. For example, if you look at the swing speed range suitable for different driver shaft brands, these range from 85-95 mph in one brand to 100-110 mph in another. Someone with a 97mph swing could find themselves too fast in X flex in one and R in another.

It is completely meaningless for someone to say 'You need [whatever flex]" unless they are specific about what shaft they mean. If the guy in the shop says that top you, shop someplace else.

Shaft weight also plays a role too.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
This is my point.

He has a Calaway driver, Trident woods, a Slazanger hybrid and Nike Irons. Surely the swing speeds and weights are probably different on all these.

The only club in his bag with a stiff flex is his driver.

Just seemed a little weird and wondered if anyone else had ever seen or heard of it

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used a stiff flex driver as it has cured my slice due to the club face being open, but used regular flex 3wood and hybrid as I slow my swing down when hitting off the deck.

All on the advice of a PGA Pro

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is my point.

He has a Calaway driver, Trident woods, a Slazanger hybrid and Nike Irons. Surely the swing speeds and weights are probably different on all these.

The only club in his bag with a stiff flex is his driver.

Just seemed a little weird and wondered if anyone else had ever seen or heard of it

My driver, fairway and hybrid have stiff shafts and my irons have PX 5.0, not that uncommon

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I have regular flex irons but a stiff flex 3 wood. I'm currently looking into getting a stiff flex driver to try and tame the whippy nature as I have fast hands according to my professional.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I currently have a stiff driver (TM) and 3-wood (Mizuno), reg Hybrid (Yonex) (all of which the club maker think need sorting) and fitted irons from 4 - LW (regular).

The Club maker's view is that all the shafts in your bag from fairway to LW should be a 'balanced set' (ie one swing for all) but the driver can be different.