Difference between different manufacturer's wedges

cleanstrike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm having a little problem around the greens. I have a 52 wedge that I'm using for chip shots. As a new golfer, I'm not sure if I'm hitting it too hard but my ball has a tendency to land on the green, roll past the flag, and off the other side so after reading a bit I figured I could do with a steeper wedge (perhaps a 56) in order to impart a bit more backspin on the ball with the aim of stopping it quicker.

Off I trotted to the local American Golf shop today to try a couple of second hand ones out on the range. I tried a 56 Titleist and a 56 Cleveland CG16. Problem is I couldn't really tell if one was better than the other. They both did what I was looking for them to do ... up, drop, stop. As a beginner I couldn't really tell if one was better than the other.

What else should I be looking for as a guide to what to purchase? Advice would be appreciated.

D

Deleted member 15344

If both did what you wanted then it will come down to cost and your own personal preferences

All wedges will give people different feel when they hit they ball.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If both did what you wanted then it will come down to cost and your own personal preferences

All wedges will give people different feel when they hit they ball.

And a big +1 from me.

If they both achieve the desired result, then personal taste/feel applies.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The short game is very personal. Some folks will use the same club for chip shots from different distances whereas some will use more loft for short shots and less loft for longer shots. I never contiously try to put spin on a chip shot, I find that it is more of a feel or hand eye coordination thing.

Last edited:

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Weight and feel difference will be about all that separates them. The most expensive won't mean it's the best either. Try to match the set if at all possible, helps with consistency which is always a bonus.

cleanstrike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks chaps. As I said, I could feel no discernible difference between them but I wasn't sure if I was missing something through my lack of knowledge. There was only five quid between them so I think I'll go back tomorrow, buy the cheaper one, and put the saved fiver towards the cost of a round of golf at the weekend.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally I'd get a chipping lesson and get the technique honed. (Pot kettle I know). If you can find something that works it will give you more variety and let you use more clubs around the green

D

Deleted member 15344

A lesson isn't the answer to everything - if he already has the right technique to do what he wants and has found the club to get what he wants why does he need a lesson ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Because the ball is running off the green as per the first post. Can't be ideal technique

Yet he now has found a club which is giving him what he wants

Also if he does need to improve his technique then again a lesson isn't always the answer - vids , articles , trying different things could easily improve what he wants to happen

D

Deleted member 15344

But you have never seen the guy chip ?

It appears at times too many just jump straight to lessons being the answer to all ills.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But you have never seen the guy chip ?

It appears at times too many just jump straight to lessons being the answer to all ills.

Like I say... just my opinion. Clearly he has had issues stopping a ball with a 52 degree wedge and has had to revert to a high shot to do that. That seems at best one dimensional. I would have thought if he can't stop a 52 degree then there is a technique flaw

D

Deleted member 15344

Again you don't know that - and again the answer isn't always spending £40 quid on a lesson when he could read an article or watch a video.

He should do what feels right for him - he has found a way to stop the ball where he wants - now he wants a bit of advice on the different makes of wedges to see what is best for him as opposed to being told to spend more money on lessons !

cleanstrike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Actually, I got the idea of adding a 56 to the bag from an online video by a PGA pro. I'll probably take a short game lesson or two in the near future as well but it doesn't hurt to try stuff out for yourself and there's certainly no harm in having a choice of wedge options to call upon for different scenarios.

D

Deleted member 15344

Actually, I got the idea of adding a 56 to the bag from an online video by a PGA pro. I'll probably take a short game lesson or two in the near future as well but it doesn't hurt to try stuff out for yourself and there's certainly no harm in having a choice of wedge options to call upon for different scenarios.

It seems the video sorted your problem out for you mate and saved yourself £40

Trying stuff out on the range is exactly how I have progressed

Watched things on vids or read article in magazines - then tried it out on the range - if it works I keep practising it , if it doesn't then I don't bother with it.

I have prob picked up swing or game habits that a pro would hate but I put the ball where I want and it works

Keep trying different clubs and different ball positions in the stance to get the sort of chips and pitches you want - then you can transfer those chips onto the course

It will work wonders for you.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm having a little problem around the greens. I have a 52 wedge that I'm using for chip shots. As a new golfer, I'm not sure if I'm hitting it too hard but my ball has a tendency to land on the green, roll past the flag, and off the other side so after reading a bit I figured I could do with a steeper wedge (perhaps a 56) in order to impart a bit more backspin on the ball with the aim of stopping it quicker.

Off I trotted to the local American Golf shop today to try a couple of second hand ones out on the range. I tried a 56 Titleist and a 56 Cleveland CG16. Problem is I couldn't really tell if one was better than the other. They both did what I was looking for them to do ... up, drop, stop. As a beginner I couldn't really tell if one was better than the other.

What else should I be looking for as a guide to what to purchase? Advice would be appreciated.

When you say around the green, what distance are you referring to? This suggests to me that it's a chipping issue rather than a pitching one? When chipping, the secret is to get the ball rolling on the green rather than carry it to the flag (assuming there is no trouble to go over). If this is the case then you probably just need to practice using anything from a mid iron upwards to get a feel for distance control.
If the problem is pitching then yes, a bit more loft will help. Again, it's all about practice and learning how quickly the ball will stop in different conditions. Stick your umbrella in the ground and practice hitting balls to it from different distances, your target should be to get the carry distance correct. Once you get good at judging the carry distance you will have a wider range of options for any given situation.

cleanstrike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When you say around the green, what distance are you referring to? This suggests to me that it's a chipping issue rather than a pitching one? When chipping, the secret is to get the ball rolling on the green rather than carry it to the flag (assuming there is no trouble to go over). If this is the case then you probably just need to practice using anything from a mid iron upwards to get a feel for distance control.
If the problem is pitching then yes, a bit more loft will help. Again, it's all about practice and learning how quickly the ball will stop in different conditions. Stick your umbrella in the ground and practice hitting balls to it from different distances, your target should be to get the carry distance correct. Once you get good at judging the carry distance you will have a wider range of options for any given situation.

I suppose we're talking from 20 yards in. I'm not too bad at pitching from further out to get it close to the green so perhaps you're right. Perhaps I'm subconsciously hitting it too hard in trying to carry it to the flag and then it's rolling on from there. More practice in that area required methinks. I'll pay more attention and try to hold back a bit next time out.

Steve In Spain

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I suppose we're talking from 20 yards in. I'm not too bad at pitching from further out to get it close to the green so perhaps you're right. Perhaps I'm subconsciously hitting it too hard in trying to carry it to the flag and then it's rolling on from there. More practice in that area required methinks. I'll pay more attention and try to hold back a bit next time out.

I had a lesson recently, another one from my professional friend, and we went back to what he told me the last time! Look at an area 6 - 8 feet ON THE GREEN, and then chip to that area, let the ball roll out. Now, the further the flag from the LZ (Landing Zone), the more iron you need. The basic start is the 56 degree (sand wedge). Start with that, land it at the LZ and then see how far it rolls. Then use a PW/9/8/7 but always using that LZ (6-8 foot) as your aiming target. See how far the balls roll with each iron and make a note, not a mental note, a written one. I would also use the balls you normally use, not the range ones...and may I suggest at least 10 for each session with the different clubs. That will give you an average of how far they roll with each of the clubs used.
I do slightly disagree with LiverpoolPhil about the lesson, you might have A technique, but is it the right one? After all, we all have a technique of hitting a ball, but ball position, weight position (eg more weight on your left leg) and grip. My Pro tells me to grip right down to the edge of the grip and shaft, for control, stand closer to the ball,, lean on my left leg 60/40 and rock the arms like a putter. I was trying to use my hands and wrists before and was like you, rolling the ball miles past!!

Good luck and as others have said, this is an important part and the scoring part to your game...make sure you are "doing it right" sort of thing!