Did you wait?

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have reached that time in life when I enter the big wide world of work. Having just finished my 6th form studies I arrived home and after the usual 'how did it go' questions the powers that be (mum :D) said "sign on or get a job", the thing is I kinda want my last proper summer holiday, playing loads of golf and chilling with mates.I don't want to go straight into work, I still don't know what I want to do work wise. The current number of unemployed is now over the 2,000,000 mark. How do I, a 17 year old teenager, find work with all those people looking for work with many years of experiance behind them?

What did you do after you finished your studies?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got a job!
If you have the attitude that "How do I, a 17 year old teenager, find work with all those people looking for work with many years of experiance behind them?" you won't get far.
(Incidentally I left school in the 70s when unemployment was worse than it is now)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not considering further education then (uni/college etc.)?

I'd say think hard about what you might like to do.

University graduates usually go on to better salaries.
Hard working folk (entrepreneur types) with talent often find something and then actually earn more (but the statistics don't reflect this....as it's all about averages)

Personally, if I was doing it all again I'd look to train in one of the high skilled trades.....

mono217

Journeyman Pro
i707.photobucket.com
In the 70's was it 3,500,000.

And im now thinking of when I go to college and I cant wait to leave and get a job*.

*The job I have I got my months notice on the 16th :( only a temorary role.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was lucky enough to have a trade apprenticeship and have been in employment now for 21 years.
I would definitely encourage those who are bright enough to go to further education as I did feel I missed out a bit on the university lifestyle (Although I did live it through my mates a bit)
If not, find a job that's useful to people. I have a feeling that pretty soon diversity officers and such like are going to find it quite difficult.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I basically missed most of my 5th year to be an assistant pro for £40 per week cash in hand (not bad in 1982). Went back in Jan and June 83 to do retakes and then left. I stayed on at the club working until my parents decided they couldn't afford to put me through my PGA's and so I had to get a proper job (I compromised and joined the Civil Service - a real holiday camp in those days - flexi, on site bar, cheap food, plenty of leave).

If I was in your shoes today, it would depend on what sort of career you have in mind. If it was office based I'd be going in and doing whatever I could to get a foot in the door (filing clerk, office junior etc) so that I had something on my CV to then give to prospective employers going forward.

If its something outside of that but a vocation like the police, forces etc I'd be checking out the qualifying criteria and getting application forms sorted. There are jobs out there but if you want to take time off to play golf with your mates, in a few months time you'll find yourself at the back of a long queue. The days of walking into jobs are gone and you do need to apply yourself.

I'm sorry if that sounds like a grumpy old man talking but its how I see it and I'm sorry it probably not what you want to hear. Either way, good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you thought about the Services? Fire, Police, Ambulance. You'll be too young just now but once your 18, get the forms off.

If I were you I'd go straight to the nearest Royal Navy recruitment office and sign up to try my hand at the Royal Marines Commando course.

Andy

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I have reached that time in life when I enter the big wide world of work. Having just finished my 6th form studies I arrived home and after the usual 'how did it go' questions the powers that be (mum :D) said "sign on or get a job", the thing is I kinda want my last proper summer holiday, playing loads of golf and chilling with mates.I don't want to go straight into work, I still don't know what I want to do work wise. The current number of unemployed is now over the 2,000,000 mark. How do I, a 17 year old teenager, find work with all those people looking for work with many years of experiance behind them?

What did you do after you finished your studies?

I get the impression that you're after advice as well as your final question about what we did.

I think the question that needs to be answered is 'what do you want to do work wise?'.

If I had my time over again, I would have joined the military, the Police Force, or god forbid, the public sector. The main reasons being, job security and a final salary pension scheme!!

Otherwise, I should have had the couage of my convictions and started all the businesses that I've thought of over the years.

Oh. And don't ever, never, turn done a dream job in New Zealand at the age of 18 because of your girlfriend! Of course she was no longer around a year later!!

I don't know what your skills are but I'd suggest that you have a good dicussion with your folks, if you're able to. Believe it or not, they probabley know you better than you give them credit for. You've always come across level headed on here, so I suspect that you'll do alright.

BTW. I did spend the whole summer after my 'O' Levels sailing, in what was one of the windiest summers that I can remember. However I did have a job lined up to start in late September!

Good luck. And don't worry about 'lack of experiance' it's pretty rubbish out here for us 'older' guys with experiance!

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
You should at least have an idea of what you would like to do after the years in the education system??? Getting any job is the start point of your future plans....
Pull up a sandbag.....I left in the 70s, I had nothing, so I had the incentive to get out, get some work in order to get the things I wanted, I will wager that you have just about everything you could want as a teen, probably more than you have ever needed, as well as parents willing to keep you for as long as you need them to, as well as funding some, if not all of your needs indefinitely.

When everything is provided, its hard to see a need to get a life going for yourself in this day and age.
Lose the apron strings, move out, find a flat, you will soon have the incentive to get a job, or you will fall by the wayside, but at least not at the expense of your kin.
When you get a job, thats your start point for planning your future.

But I recon, like many I know, you would rather stay home, play golf, annoy mum, and wait around for that job offer at 2 grand a week that will drag you out of your comfort zone a little (just a little mind)but still leave the door ajar at home just in case its too much for you.

Please tell me Im wrong? :D

D

Deleted member 1740

I left school in june 96 just after my GCSE's and by july i was working in a kitchen of an OAP's home washing dishes and general cleaning duties etc for £2.50 per hour.

It wasn't the best job but i was out in the real world earning and paying my way.

If you at least look for work for the short term (McDonalds are always looking for staff) until you decide on your career path i'm sure you'll have plenty of time to play golf.

Your time mnagement skills will be pushed to the limit awell

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I had a paper round from the age of 12, started collecting glasses in a bar at night outside school hours twice a week for a tenner a night. When I left school at 17 I went full time in the bar while I decided what to do with my life. I still had plenty of time during the week and weekend to play footy etc so having some sort of employment shouldnt make too much of a dent in your social life. I think I signed on for about two months when moving from bar work to IT via some college work.
Looking at the dole as a means to arse about for a year shouldnt be considered as it will be on your CV, even if you omit it, potential new bosses will ask what you did in the year out.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
My advice CarpeDiem, you're only 17, take a year out and travel, see a bit of the world. Have you heard of Camp America,like minded young people living and working together.
Are there any Ski travel companies near you? they're always looking for young people to work in their Hotels and resorts. Nows the time to get the application in for the winter season.

A friend of mines daughter is now working voluntarily in an orphanage in Thailand. She's having a whale of a time, digging trenches,building brick walls, and also meeting new friends and experiencing a completely different culture.

You're a long time in a working life, so before you commit, a year out will give you good experience to put on your CV.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Golfmmad.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So many thoughts flying around of 'if only I knew then what I know now'.

I'm guessing that if you wanted to go abroad, you'd have looked into it by now. However don't think that is something you have to do now or never - you can easily give it a go in a few years time.

The forces is always a good option, but unless you are of a certain type, forget the Marines. My son was thinking about it a year or so ago, and in terms of lifestyle / learning a trade etc then the navy looked like the best option to him. Also a relatively safe choice, rather than the army- less chance of actually being killed in action..

But from reading your OP, I got the feeling you're more worried about keeping your mum onside, but not getting bogged down too much with a full time job, when there's so much golf to be played. If that's the case, try temping, or agency work. Or at the very least, part time summer jobs, especially in the tourist trade.

As long as you get some readies coming in, I'm sure your mum will meet you halfway for the short term at least.

Talking as a parent, the annoying thing is when teenagers expect to be able to sit on their arses all summer, and just ponce off us, without paying their way. As you're growing up, you need to begin to take more responsibility for your own welfare. Not totally, just don't sponge of your mum too much either.

Dunno if Tesco etc still do it, but when I was your age I had a job with them working Thursday evening amd Friday evening filling shelves ( so I had all day to play golf ) and then worked all day Saturday in the shop. It worked out to be about 14 hours a week, which if it paid the equivalent of about £5 an hour nowadays, would give you about £70.

It was perfect for me coz I already had a junior membership at my golf club, I made myself sarnies, and then walked to the course every morning, getting picked up in the evening by my old man on his way back from work. It kept me from getting under mum's feet, and meant I wasn't scrounging loads of dosh off her to hang around the shopping malls either. Also I could go out with my mates at the weekend, and pretty much do what I wanted to - financial independence is a wonderful thing.

Whatever you do, try to enjoy as much of everyday as you can. It only ever gets tougher as you get older. :)

greensman

Club Champion
Visit site
Firstly,you need to be aware that your education is only just about to start! Your school life has only prepared you for an entire life of studying.

Whatever career you settle on you should always accompany this with college education. The harder you work /study the more you will accomplish.

I am a Golf Course Manager… Head Greenkeeper if you prefer. I started 20 years ago on the old YTS system. £29 per week, butI loved the job, FREE golf… any ware! Fresh air and a sun tan. Great times, but I would not have achieved the position I am at now with the education. 20 years on and I am still studying, still learning and still loving it… sometimes.

I suggest you try and pick an occupation that gives you enthusiasm and something you enjoy. You may spend more time in work than you do with the family!

Good luck Sir!

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys its very welcomed.

Greensman, do you need any special qualifications to become a Green Keeper because its something that I was looking to go into.

Many thanks
Ollie

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
never made it to the 'end of my studies' at school, I left early and joined up. 25 years later left the navy and was technically unemployed for 6 days, my new job started 6 days after the terminal leave ended.

I don't know what the age limits are but my daughter started as a Care Assistant at Papworth Hospital, originally with the idea that they would pay for her nursing training. but after a year out she changed tack and is currently at uni, reading Psychology.

simply, get into a job of any sort. It's not likely to be where you'll be forever but it will do three things;
give future employers the confidence that know how to work,
give you the self-respect of knowing that you pay your way,
give you breathing space to find out what you want to do (something I knew at 6)