Diamond Cut Wheels with Low Profile Tyres...Options?!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
So my BMW has lovely wheels, looks great with the low profile tyres BUT they are so easily damaged. I've never kerbed an alloy in my life and assume my many MX5s had equally low profile tyres. Potholes also damage them easily and I've already had one refurbished but understand there is a limit on the amount of times that can be done before the structure is compromised. Add to that the cost of refurbishment plus the fact they need the car for 2-3 days - it's taking away the enjoyment of my car which otherwise I love.

I've become obsessed with noseying at similar wheels on cars and so many are damaged - many much worse than mine!

Anyone here got expert knowledge or have gone through changing "something" to improve this? Change to wider tyres (don't think I can change the profile but could go 10mm wider)? Change to tyres with rim protection? Change wheels? Have wheels powder coated?

Or...change car - which is becoming a serious consideration BUT so many of the ones I like would have a similar wheel/tyre combination.

Thoughts?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Short of changing the alloys rim protection would be the next best option (cheapest).

They aren’t foolproof but they help a little.

Diamond cut and polished alloys are the devil. If water gets in they blister like heck as well.

I made sure that I got the black gloss alloys on mine rather than the diamond cut ones.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Between my wife and I we have had 4 cars that have had diamond cut alloys. All 4 have had problems, discolouration being the main issue. All repaired under warranty, after some fighting, but you don't need that.

If you change then don't get these.

Anything wheel related, speak to @GreiginFife . He is your man. (he beat me to it :LOL:)

Jason.H

Visit site
Cheapest option is refurb if needed then a wider tyre with rim protection. Maybe your looking for a reason to buy new wheels ?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Short of changing the alloys rim protection would be the next best option (cheapest).

They aren’t foolproof but they help a little.

Diamond cut and polished alloys are the devil. If water gets in they blister like heck as well.

I made sure that I got the black gloss alloys on mine rather than the diamond cut ones.

As in alloy gators or a tyre with rim protection? I think the former has issues and can look yuk but does the latter actually work?

The black gloss is better because? If I got the current wheels painted would that be a better option?

Do run flats offer more protection to the rims? Seems they have their own issues with handling and wear?

I am thinking of changing the alloys as still cheaper than changing the car. Do you have any recommendations in terms of what is more robust? I can't work out what is alloy or diamond cut on websites.

greenone

Visit site
If going down the refurb route get them powder coated rather than painted. But make sure you get it done buy someone who knows what they are doing as the curing can structurally weaken the wheels if not done properly.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
As in alloy gators or a tyre with rim protection? I think the former has issues and can look yuk but does the latter actually work?

The black gloss is better because? If I got the current wheels painted would that be a better option?

Do run flats offer more protection to the rims? Seems they have their own issues with handling and wear?

I am thinking of changing the alloys as still cheaper than changing the car. Do you have any recommendations in terms of what is more robust? I can't work out what is alloy or diamond cut on websites.

Not gators, avoid these. Tyres with rim protection. As I say, they aren't fool proof and if you hit a kerb hard it will still damage the wheel but they do help. I have them on mine and I've bumped a kerb slightly (thanks to a white van man thinking he is entitled to all the road) and the overhang did it's job.

Black gloss aren't diamond cut, that's the benefit right there.

DO NOT go run flat, they destroy the comfort and ride quality (IMO, of course).

Spotting diamond cut can be tricky but a usual rule of thumb (although not fool proof again) is multi-tone or incredibly shiny alloys are likely to be diamond cut.

Alloys are a minefield in general, but sticking to well regarded manufacturers such as BBS, Vossen, GMP Italia etc is a good move. Budget also determines what you get.

Refurbing the alloys is an option but IMO it's akin to putting out a warehouse fire with a water balloon. Powder coating is a good idea but then the whole point of diamond cut alloys is for them to look diamond cut (e.g. shiny or two tone etc).

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just to agree with Greig’s comment as I absolutely hate the lowish profile run flats on my BMW X1. Have had to replace swingarms and springs, the ride quality is awful and not suited to the general state of Fife roads at all. They’re just an awful idea for any road that is not mirror smooth.

I’m stuck between binning the car completely or swapping to some smaller wheels and larger profile tyres.

Was eeking it out for a new car but the lead times and inflation / general worry of costs are getting more ridiculous by the day.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’ve given up bothering about how my wheels look. I’ve spent far too much of my time cleaning them in the past. Polished BBS RS01 3 piece split rims I’m looking at you!

As for run flats, they went as soon as I go my current car. Awful things.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Which wheels do you have, Amanda? And which car? As others have said, some tyres offer better protection than others. You can refurb a couple of times, and then after that you can powdercoat. They don't look as good as the raw polished metal, but you have a very wide range of colour options and they do look very good.

BMW replaced my wheels after 3 years due to corrosion. It's extremely common on diamond cut wheels, it starts with the top coats going a milky colour. If you hang on to yours for a while, you might find you can claim too. It generally appears around the hub. Given you've had them refurbed though, not sure if BMW might argue.

Personally, I'd stick with them and try to stop hitting kerbs as frankly, even if you had them powdercoated, they'll start to look tatty once damaged. If you can't be any more careful than you already are, smaller wheels is the most comprehensive solution, albeit in my opinion, probably not the best as big wheels just look good!

You won't be the first person to have had this issue, get on bimmerpost (https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=709) and do a search for the wheels you have by code, and you'll probably find examples of what others have done in terms of powdercoating or additional protection. I've linked to the Z4 forum as you mentioned an MX5, but if it's not a Z4 choose the correct car from the drop down list.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which wheels do you have, Amanda? And which car? As others have said, some tyres offer better protection than others. You can refurb a couple of times, and then after that you can powdercoat. They don't look as good as the raw polished metal, but you have a very wide range of colour options and they do look very good.

BMW replaced my wheels after 3 years due to corrosion. It's extremely common on diamond cut wheels, it starts with the top coats going a milky colour. If you hang on to yours for a while, you might find you can claim too. It generally appears around the hub. Given you've had them refurbed though, not sure if BMW might argue.

Personally, I'd stick with them and try to stop hitting kerbs as frankly, even if you had them powdercoated, they'll start to look tatty once damaged. If you can't be any more careful than you already are, smaller wheels is the most comprehensive solution, albeit in my opinion, probably not the best as big wheels just look good!

You won't be the first person to have had this issue, get on bimmerpost (https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=709) and do a search for the wheels you have by code, and you'll probably find examples of what others have done in terms of powdercoating or additional protection. I've linked to the Z4 forum as you mentioned an MX5, but if it's not a Z4 choose the correct car from the drop down list.

It's a 2020 BMW 118i M Sport. The wheels look great - it's the mineral grey colour and they look made for it. I've had the nearside front refurbed one and it needs doing again if I decide to bother. Without doubt I am way more careful around kerbs/potholes/anything that I might rub against so it's been a while since the last kerb rash! Take today though...narrow bridges through St Neots and then a fire engine needs to squeeze through so I'm getting as close as I dare and wincing!

I cleaned the car today and each time I've parked up and come back to it I've thought "wow, I love my car" so really don't want to change it. So I might just price up a refurb and tyre change - probably looking at £600 I think so cheaper than changing cars (and I don't really want to).

Or I just live with the existing damage which to be honest I only notice when I'm cleaning it or look for it!

If I changed tryes to ones with rim protection do I need to do all 4 or can I just do the fronts (the front nearside seeming to be the likeliest to be damaged)...?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it these? https://www.google.com/search?q=819...KHbcVC_cQ_AUoAnoECAIQAg&biw=834&bih=997&dpr=2

Generally the advice is to match tyres up on the same axle, but you could have different ones front and back. Given its front wheel drive, the fronts will likely wear out quicker.

On the predecessor 1 series, the tyres weren’t the same width back v front so you couldn’t rotate the front and rears to even up wear.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it these? https://www.google.com/search?q=819...KHbcVC_cQ_AUoAnoECAIQAg&biw=834&bih=997&dpr=2

Generally the advice is to match tyres up on the same axle, but you could have different ones front and back. Given its front wheel drive, the fronts will likely wear out quicker.

On the predecessor 1 series, the tyres weren’t the same width back v front so you couldn’t rotate the front and rears to even up wear.

Yes they're the ones. Thanks - I'll do some research and decide what to do. Thing is if I refurb the wheel and then change the tyre I'll be super stressed worrying the tyre fitter will damage it...actually I just do it the other way round!!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes they're the ones. Thanks - I'll do some research and decide what to do. Thing is if I refurb the wheel and then change the tyre I'll be super stressed worrying the tyre fitter will damage it...actually I just do it the other way round!!

Ive got these on my car:

https://www.google.com/search?q=442...d=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=-E-h3E2nbx56KM

They’re similar in style with the diamond cut face and orbit grey inside.

Quite a few people have powder coated, here is some pics of how that looks in comparison:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1821581

Hopefully that helps give you an idea of how the looks differ.

Good luck deciding!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't understand why "they" need the car for 2-3 days. I kerbed one of the alloys on my 2020 5 series weeks ater i got it. I contacted a mobile alloy refurbishing company who came to the house and carried out the repair in a couple of hours for £80.
Regarding tyres, I have Bridgestone run-flats which are recommended by BMW and give a very comfortable ride, not like the ones of old which were rather hard. The tyres also have a raised edge which protrudes beyond the wheel rim and gives protection for the alloy wheel.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't understand why "they" need the car for 2-3 days. I kerbed one of the alloys on my 2020 5 series weeks ater i got it. I contacted a mobile alloy refurbishing company who came to the house and carried out the repair in a couple of hours for £80.
Regarding tyres, I have Bridgestone run-flats which are recommended by BMW and give a very comfortable ride, not like the ones of old which were rather hard. The tyres also have a raised edge which protrudes beyond the wheel rim and gives protection for the alloy wheel.

I think it's to have diamond cuts refurbished with the lathe machine they use. They can't be done on a mobile basis.

Just walked the dogs and a 2022 Ford Puma (yuk!) with larger tyres and diamond cut and the front nearside has some kerb rash. I can see it's not scratched as much as it would without the larger tyres but it seems diamond cut are a money maker for the refurb guys!

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it's to have diamond cuts refurbished with the lathe machine they use. They can't be done on a mobile basis.

Just walked the dogs and a 2022 Ford Puma (yuk!) with larger tyres and diamond cut and the front nearside has some kerb rash. I can see it's not scratched as much as it would without the larger tyres but it seems diamond cut are a money maker for the refurb guys!

They can be done mobile but not by many companies, chips away have the lathes now , wife clipped ours other day costing £162 for the refurb.. alloy Insurance paying £110 of it

Diamond cut seem a waste of money, or as you say just a money maker for refurb guys

Think telsa have got it right ... Back to basically hub caps lol you can change your look now easily .. and if you ruin them? Just buy a replacement

On viewing you may still be able to damage to outside of the rim if your unlucky but still much easier to change wheel or just if one got badly damaged get a new one lol

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
They can be done mobile but not by many companies, chips away have the lathes now , wife clipped ours other day costing £162 for the refurb.. alloy Insurance paying £110 of it

Diamond cut seem a waste of money, or as you say just a money maker for refurb guys

Think telsa have got it right ... Back to basically hub caps lol you can change your look now easily .. and if you ruin them? Just buy a replacement

On viewing you may still be able to damage to outside of the rim if your unlucky but still much easier to change wheel or just if one got badly damaged get a new one lol

I had thought about insurance but then if they can only be done once or twice I'm not sure it's worth it? I'll check out the mobile thing - more expensive (paid £120 for mine) but the convenience is worth it. For now I'm going to live with the couple of rashes as they're not noticable unless you look (or know they're there) and probably a more relaxed drive than it would be if they were pristine again!