Diamana Blueboard vs Ping TFC939

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I currently have a Rapture V2 driver with the stock Ping regular shaft. I hit it well for the most part, but if anything can pull it now and again in a big high flighty hook. Not always, as just as many can boom down the middle.

I've seen the same driver with the Diamana shaft available and I believe this to be a popular shaft among those that know? So, what characteristics/benefits does this shaft have vs the stock Ping one? Also, any disadvantages that a such a shaft may offer.

If it helps, I try to put a steady swing on my driver, 10.5' loft, nice flight, quite high but that's ok with me, and max distance probably tops out at around 240. Although a more consistent yardage around 225-230 I reckon.

Thanks in advance

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The blueboard is the precursor to the Kali. Nice stable shaft, mid/high kick point so should be mid/low spin, just a good all round shaft imo. Pretty sure it came in various weights so would check the weight and probably guard against it being too heavy (only other danger maybe it is too low spin but hard to know with out trying it). Cant comment on the Ping, there again Im not a huge fan of stock shafts, the Blueboard will be a better shaft, just a case of whether it is better for you

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ping stock shafts have always been pretty good all round shafts, generally suited to the particular club they are in. So simply changing to a different, but untried, shaft doesn't make sense to me - except to try it out if the price is good.

The occasional 'big left' is a swing problem and a change of shaft isn't going to solve that - though if current shaft is 'wrong' then getting a 'right' one will certainly help you swing better - I have personal experience of this.

Specs of TFC939 are quite similar to one of the Blueboard ones - the 73, so actually not a huge difference between them. Blueboard came/comes in 63, 73 and 83gm versions and the 63 I used (in a Nike Sasquatch) was one of my favourite shafts. Tiger, Sergio and 1 or 2 others are using 95/105gm monster versions of it! Fundy describes it pretty well - it's the middle of that range (Whiteboard being Low launch/spin; Redboard being mid-high launch/spin.) and has a softish, but not loose, tip section for (imo) very nice 'feel'.

So by all means, try it out if you wish, but don't expect miracles! Tom Wishon refers to the shaft as the 'transmission', while the player is the 'engine'. An it's the engine that's has the most influence on any swing.

Last edited: