Decent headcovers for woods.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why is it the headcovers supplied with Drivers/fairways/hybrids these days are useless, in that they offer no protection against shaft rub :mad:.

Any suggestions for older 'sock' like covers.

Cheers.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have an older style cover for my fairway and will be looking at getting one for the driver. Older ones can be found on eBay still in the packets...just means you don't have the latest head cover on show in your bag.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have club crested Pom Pom type, they are quite good.
The problem is though that product cycles have got quite quick, and drivers especially have got longer so the old school covers just don’t reach far enough down the shaft like they may have done years back.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wondered about this. I have a carry bag with just 4 dividers, the heads support each other I guess? My woods/hybrids have never suffered from bag rub - are 14 way dividers actually less protection against this than more?!

D

Deleted member 15717

I have the hybrid one of THESE, and waiting for the others for driver, 3 wood and 5 wood.

They are a lot longer than the ones that came on my TS woods, which seem to be quite short. I should have them next week sometime, so will try and get a photo. I can supply a hybrid one later if required

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have bought the velvet top/ sock bottom style covers off ebay but you have to be sure you are getting ones that fit a 460cc head if you want it for a driver.

D

Deleted member 18588

Don't understand this.

In over 25 years of owning graphite shafted woods I have never seen "bag rub" on a club.

Is it more of a problem if carrying or is it worse in a trolley bag?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't understand this.

In over 25 years of owning graphite shafted woods I have never seen "bag rub" on a club.

Is it more of a problem if carrying or is it worse in a trolley bag?
Definitely a problem when carrying. I have added extra padding to my bag, but still not perfect.

Smaller top to bag, and no individual club dividers doesn’t help.

D

Deleted member 18588

Definitely a problem when carrying. I have added extra padding to my bag, but still not perfect.

Smaller top to bag, and no individual club dividers doesn’t help.

Until quite recently I used a carry bag with four way dividers and didn't experience any problems.

Mind you I have to admit to being rather similar to a certain forumer from Kent i.e.clubs get changed at very frequent intervals.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Until quite recently I used a carry bag with four way dividers and didn't experience any problems.

Mind you I have to admit to being rather similar to a certain forumer from Kent i.e.clubs get changed at very frequent intervals.
My last two Sun Mountain bags have not had enough padding, which is disappointing considering the cost of the bags. Adding my own padding has helped, but all my graphite shafted clubs have got some bag rub. Fortunately I am not ocd so not too big a problem.

D

Deleted member 18588

Something that I have discovered with trolley bags and 14 way dividers is that there rarely seems room within the divider to accommodate the the sock element of a headcover.

Thus defeating the objective of guarding the shaft.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why is it the headcovers supplied with Drivers/fairways/hybrids these days are useless, in that they offer no protection against shaft rub :mad:.

Any suggestions for older 'sock' like covers.

Cheers.
Ping do a nice plain black aftermarket head covers for driver, fairways and hybrids.
Also seen TM ones on eBay.