Decent drill to help wrists and hands

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi all , i have discovered ( well , at least i think i have ) that the fade that creeps into my game may come from a problem with the resetting of my wrists during the downswing/ball strike zone.

I think that my takeaway/backswing is ok but on my downswing , it seems like i'm not turning the wrists over to square up the clubface at impact. I believe the idea is that the back of my left glove should be facing the target as i strike the ball but on my bad shots , i seem to get a bit lazy and don't get the wrists back to this position meaning i'm strliking the ball with a slightly open club face.......does that make sense ?

Anything i can do on my infrequest trips to the range that can help me get rid of this problem ?

i know the feeling i'm after i.e if i swing a club at waist height á la baseball style , i get the right feeling/action but i just sometimes lose this action during a proper swing.

Any help advice gratefully recieved .

Paul

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not an expert by any means but any manipulation of the clubhead with the hands through impact is a recipe for inconsistancy. I would be more concerned in making sure the clubhead is on a good plane rather than worrying too much about what position the wrists are in. Sorry if this seems a negative reply but it seems as though you may be over analysing (ironic from me I know).

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cheers for the swift reply Bob. TBH , i'm such a casual golfer that i've never had a lesson and tend to try and sort things out myself.....credit crunch and all that.

It was the weak/strong grip thread that made me think of this .....2 knuckles - 3 knuckles ??? I've always worked on the premise that the V's formed between the thumb and forefinger on both hands should be pointing roughly towards the relevant shoulder ? i.e My own :)
Could a weak grip cause this problem then ?

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would say yes.
You do know that the 'V's should be pointing at your right ear/shoulder area?
Check it in a mirror :)

Bob , this could be another 'light bulb' moment !!! Are you saying that both V's should be pointing to my right ear/shoulder area ? I've just gripped a club and this is definitely not the case with me. My right hand does seem to point that way...but my left V is pointing more towards my left shoulder. Tried adjusting it accordingly and it feels like the clubhead is almost slightly turned in....although looking at it , it feels square ? Perhaps this has been the reason behind my problem ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would say yes.
You do know that the 'V's should be pointing at your right ear/shoulder area?
Check it in a mirror :)

Bob , this could be another 'light bulb' moment !!! Are you saying that both V's should be pointing to my right ear/shoulder area ? I've just gripped a club and this is definitely not the case with me. My right hand does seem to point that way...but my left V is pointing more towards my left shoulder. Tried adjusting it accordingly and it feels like the clubhead is almost slightly turned in....although looking at it , it feels square ? Perhaps this has been the reason behind my problem ?

Sorry Paul, should have checked if you are right handed?
If so, I think you'll find the club face will now return squarely to the ball without you having to manipulate your hands or wrists.
Hope this helps :)