Deal breakers ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Prohibitive cost is the first one, obviously. And if there was a substantial joining fee because I just can't see the justification for them. It has to be cost effective first and foremost.

Stupid dress code rules would be another one. To be fair my current club has the fairly common daft dress code rules like shirts tucked in and white socks, but I don't recall being bollocked for any of them yet so it's fine. But I mean really stupid dress code rules would be a no-go.

If the course was too long or too difficult, I just wouldn't want to put myself through that on a weekly basis. Especially as I'm not a big hitter.

I don't think I have any other deal-breakers - the cost is the biggest one by far and unfortunately I live in an area where most of the clubs are relatively expensive. My current club is probably the most affordable in the area, and also happens to be only a 5 minute drive away, so there's a fair amount I would put up with. For example, they have scrapped the tee booking system on weekends, which I find disappointing, but as we play in the afternoons rather than the mornings, it's not mad busy and we've mostly been able to get on when we want - so I'm putting up with it for now.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The snack bar at Royal St George's does a mean steak and chips. No need for jacket and tie in there either.

Heck, if I could get membership there I'd move house, and whatever it took!

So, in answer to the OP. It's all about the course. Everything else is a secondary

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
The snack bar at Royal St George's does a mean steak and chips. No need for jacket and tie in there either.

Heck, if I could get membership there I'd move house, and whatever it took!

So, in answer to the OP. It's all about the course. Everything else is a secondary

Steak and chips is my kind of snack! How do I join up?

D

Deleted member 29109

The course is all important. I could overlook most things for a quality course that doesn’t have winter greens and tees.

Things I couldn’t overlook as a member.
No booking system.
Stupid dress code.

D

Deleted member 21258

The clubs I have left have all been for the same reason, not being able to get suitable tee times.

Thats the only deal breaker I think I have.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My club now does this too, it stops any confusion on what's rough our not and has resulted in the course being much better over the season. No confusion on the use of a mat. It's not the end of the world.

For me it's course condition

Mine also has mats from fairway and semi. No confusion except in monthly medals when you can't use them from the semi and plenty people are clueless..?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are clearly some courses that are outside my financial resources but I can't think of any one thing that is likely to be a complete deal breaker.
I'm really looking for a course which is pleasant to play and not too busy so tee times are readily available and play is not too slow.
A course which didn't allow women to play would be one I would be unlikely to join as I enjoy playing with my wife.
I find a lot of dress codes faintly absurd but none that I have seen that would stop me from considering membership if other things were suitable.
Not being able to change shoes in the car park is a petty irritant for me if I'm having to get to the tee in a hurry after work , fortunately it is not the case in my course.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jacket & tie in the clubhouse

Constant winter greens. One club I was at had all 18 for a spell one winter. It was pointless playing when that happened. The odd few is fine, but all 18 o_O. I left.

No booking system. Been down the turn up and play route, no more thank you.
We have just completed a survey from the club about the booking system.
We didn’t have one pre covid but I like it.
But rumour is the members voted to get rid of it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Think we're going the opposite way. Our USP was we were the only club in the area not to have tee times and roll up had worked perfectly well until Covid and the need for track and trace. We had loads joining in the pandemic with tee times already in place so have never experienced roll ups. There is a huge fear amongst anyone who joined in the last 18-24 months about not getting a game and waiting for hours. In the old days we as one of the early roll up groups both days of the weekend would utilise the 10th to get people out if the group was large and by the time they got round the queue is normally shorter and there is an unwritten rules that they'd filter in. We are having a referendum to keep tee times or revert to roll up but a large proportion don't know what they are voting for so of course they'll vote for what they are used to

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Putting it to a vote is the only fair thing to do. Members, who lose the vote, then have to decide if that is the club for them.

If the system reverts to pre covid then would that be a problem for you or will you just tune back in to how it used to be?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

We have the same in progress. We never had starting times before covid, since which we've booked on line.

The proposal is to keep it on Saturdays but remove it for the over six days. The Seniors are in favour of removal during the week, others may differ!

D

Deleted member 23270

The clubs I have left have all been for the same reason, not being able to get suitable tee times.

Thats the only deal breaker I think I have.
Why couldn't you get times you want?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Putting it to a vote is the only fair thing to do. Members, who lose the vote, then have to decide if that is the club for them.

If the system reverts to pre covid then would that be a problem for you or will you just tune back in to how it used to be?
I am lucky I only work part time.
So not a problem.
But I can see people with jobs, kids etc that need a time and can’t be waiting on the tee.
It was always ok in the past so can’t really see a problem.

D

Deleted member 1147

A membership of people I wouldn’t want to spend time with, is the main thing that would put me off joining somewhere.
Course quality and conditioning come second to that.