Cutting ones own handicap

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
Most of the golf I have played in the past two weeks seems to be foursomes and better ball and at the same time everything in my game has clicked with the result that I am probably playing to my handicap and actually beat it by a few shots in the last comp. The next medal isn't until the end of the month but before then I have a few matches to play and I don't think I have time to fit in a supplementary card. Therefore I wondered is it possible to ask for a cut, even just a small one so that it doesn't look as though I am trying to protect my handicap. Thanks

D

Deleted member 15344

Can asked to be cut at the annual review or a mid season review possibly

If the next medal isn't until the end of the month then you can't be accused of protecting your handicap

I wouldn't worry about asking for a cut because it will happen naturally as you are playing well

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
you can ask but more than likely the request will be turned down. H/caps can virtually only be cut on quailfiers and supps, althought rule 19 no no no 23 is available to h/cap secs it rarely used these days.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
.l.. I wondered is it possible to ask for a cut, even just a small one so that it doesn't look as though I am trying to protect my handicap. Thanks

you can always ask but there is absolutely no basis for a cut in what you have outlined.

many golfer start to score better over the current period - mid April - mid June, for a number of logical reasons.

if you want a cut you will have to earn it in Q competition play, or supplemental cards, but unless you avoid them for the whole season whilst cleaning up elsewhere you are hardly 'protecting your handicap'!

EDIT: I forgot to add, there's absolutely nothing (see below) stopping you from just playing from a lower handicap ie you just do it.

(the only time anything might stop you would be in 4BBB when shots are being taken from you and doing so results in an advantage by improving your partners allowance relative to the opposition - it can happen!)

Last edited:

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just play golf, if you beat youre handicap against CSS you will be cut. Great if you win things on the way down too.

If anyone were to say anything just laugh it off.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Even though you are playing below your handicap in non qualifying competitions, doesn't mean you will do so in a medal. Last week I played 4 below in an open, 6 below in a matchplay comp and 5 below in a bounce game, in the weeks qualifier I got a 0.1 increase!