Cutting down shafts

AntShadow

Visit site
Apologies if this is in the wrong section or been asked before.

At the start of this year i decided to trim down my driver shaft by an inch/inch and half (can't remember the exact amount now) and it worked wonders for my driving, longer and far more control. Perfect/

Now i'm wondering, will the same apply if i chop down my 3 wood shaft? Since shortening my driver i seem to have lost all control over the 3 wood.

Anyone done this and what are your experiences and/or recommendations?

Robin Hood

Visit site
The only club I have ever chopped is a putter.
However I know one guy who uses a ladies 5 wood because of the shorter shaft. And he is a single figure player.
Good luck.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
If shortening the driver helped your driving it should also help hitting the 3W. I have a Ping G 3W that I was fitted for and ordered from Ping with a 5W shaft in it and did not loose any distance because I was finding the middle more consistently. The only thing I would point out is that if you are sensitive to Swing weight you might need to add some weight to the head and that shorting it will impact the lie angle, but many have done it with great success

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't just take 1.5" off it, check where the 3 wood sits vs your driver. From memory I think a 3 wood is around 42.5" and your driver is now 43.5"s?
If you want to trim take 0.5" off first and see where you get to.