Custom fitting, is it too soon?

Rob_DL

Visit site
Hi Guys,
I've just joined the forum so be gentle with me! :D

I started playing golf at the start of this year after being bought a set of clubs for Christmas from my wife, she's been playing for a couple of years and think she fancied my company on the course. :eek:

I took a few lessons at the local range and have been playing as often as possible during the year. Still needing to break the magic "100" for a round, but feel with a bit of consistency in my round it's not too far away.
Oh yes, my question for you experts. Currently playing with the "Maxfli PatriotII" set I was given, but thinking perhaps I should get some better quality custom fitted clubs:-
Is it too soon in my golfing life?
Would I notice an improvement in my game?
What clubs would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
No expert, but I've been looking into a c/f driver lately.

One fitter I spoke with reckoned that c/f was more important for the high-mid handicapper than for a lower. His argument went 'you could give any club to Tiger and he'd hit it well, you wouldn't'

that said, I wait a bit.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi & welcome to the forums Rob.

My opinion is that it isn't forth getting shiny new clubs custome fitted just yet because the chances are your swing will change as you get better, and you'll need c/f'ing again.

I'd go for a quality set of 2nd hand game improvement clubs for now, then go shiny new c/f'ed ones later.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi & welcome to the forums Rob.

My opinion is that it isn't forth getting shiny new clubs custome fitted just yet because the chances are your swing will change as you get better, and you'll need c/f'ing again.

I'd go for a quality set of 2nd hand game improvement clubs for now, then go shiny new c/f'ed ones later.

I agree....with all 3 points. :cool:

Rob_DL

Visit site

Thanks for the feedback guys. ;)

So maybe no custom fitting just now. Any recommendations on what clubs I should be looking for then? Ebay's a big scary place when you've no idea what you need! Or should I be looking at second hand clubs at my local range shop? Asking the pro at the range? I was thinking of taking some more lessons anyway so he can point out all the bad habits I've picked up over the summer.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rob

I would go for a second hand set. Your swing will change as you get into the game, and will be different in a year's time from what it is now. a shiny new set of Callaways will look great now but may not suit you then.

Many pros take in trade-ins and are often keen to move them out. The advantage of buying at a pro shop is that you can usually try the clubs out first, so I would recommend that. I am sure there are a few pro shops in Lanarkshire. You don't need to be a member of the club to go in (usually, don't try that at Loch Lomond)

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
A decent set of second hand clubs is a good suggestion. Though we're all a bit partial to shiny new bats, and I suspect that you're no different.

E-bay is fraut with new fakes, so, I'd avoid e-bay. Last years models from the big makes is often a good way to go. Of course, it all depends on budget.