Custom fitting flawed?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
*flawed

Not a terrible video, don't disagree with his point, but could have been 5 minutes long and avoided all the repetition. Basically just said if you're knobbing it it's not worth getting fit, over and over again.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
*flawed

Not a terrible video, don't disagree with his point, but could have been 5 minutes long and avoided all the repetition. Basically just said if you're knobbing it it's not worth getting fit, over and over again.
Pretty much 😂

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
If you don’t have a consistent swing a basic fitting which caters for shaft length, flex, and grip size plus the head which seems to suit you best is about as far as it goes.

The issue is though beyond this all the fitter can tweak otherwise really is loft and lie, kickpoint and swing weight etc.

For this reason I’d say custom fit does work for everybody however moreso for those with a consistent swing.

You can get fit and have a lesson with a pro a week later which could write off certain aspects of a fitting.

So I’d agree it’s flawed to some degree however basic spec of clubs can be catered for which won’t hurt anyway.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a bad video but a simple premise. If the guy is rocking up and shanking, topping etc then just don't get fitted. Go away and sort your swing out and go back when you are more consistent in delivery and strike. Think the low handicapper was a golf snob. Plenty of handicap golfers can see the benefit of a fit, subject to presenting a half decent swing consistently

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not a bad video but a simple premise. If the guy is rocking up and shanking, topping etc then just don't get fitted. Go away and sort your swing out and go back when you are more consistent in delivery and strike. Think the low handicapper was a golf snob. Plenty of handicap golfers can see the benefit of a fit, subject to presenting a half decent swing consistently

I thought the 8 handicapper was right saying high handicappers just need to know what shaft and grip

Oh wait.. isn’t that a custom fit?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I thought the 8 handicapper was right saying high handicappers just need to know what shaft and grip

Oh wait.. isn’t that a custom fit?
But he kept banging on that it was chucking money away unless they were single figure. I agree with you that knowing what shaft and flex works is a big part of a custom fit but I assume we're talking the whole package so lie etc. I think in his head he was arguing that handicap golfers can't deliver consistent numbers to justify fitting

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But he kept banging on that it was chucking money away unless they were single figure. I agree with you that knowing what shaft and flex works is a big part of a custom fit but I assume we're talking the whole package so lie etc. I think in his head he was arguing that handicap golfers can't deliver consistent numbers to justify fitting

I had a 8 handicapper laugh when I Said I struggled because my gps had died before the round

He went “but you can’t consistently hit a iron to a distance”

I just replied yes but it’s good to know if the club I’m taking is long enough to get over that ditch in front of the green isn’t it

He went a bit red and realised he was being a snob

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There are levels of custom fit.
There's the basic flex, length, lie to get something that gives you a chance
Then there's the middle level where multiple shafts can tried, multiple heads etc
Then there's the full blown checking everything in minute details like a Tour Pro would .
Most amateurs, in my view, rarely need to go beyond the middle level.
For the guy in the video, the first level would suffice at the moment because he's hitting the ball all over the place and you can't narrow down a particular trend to counter.
There are 19 handicappers who have a particular bad shot, a trend than can be tweaked and they would benefit from the middle level.
I've been custom fit many times and, for the most part, don't tend to play any better or worse with fitted clubs as opposed to off the shelf or "self-fitted" ones.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Custom fitting is very much overrated, some of the claims about how much of a difference it will make are shocking, like many other things in life it just becomes an accepted truth with out a second thought.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can see that a fitting might be helpful for someone with a consistent swing, but I’ve never bothered as mine varies from hole to hole, let alone round to round. One would hope that any good fitter, when faced with a player who clearly has an inconsistent swing, would say that there was little point in continuing ... other than perhaps testing swing speeds for an assessment of appropriate flex.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
When someone states that something is a waste of time, then follows it up with statements of what (within that process) will categorically improve things for other players without even seeing them play...I don't know whether to laugh or cry🤔

Some people would benefit to some degree from using different equipment or a different set up for their existing equipment.

Using an objective process in the hands of a competent professional to evaluate and recommend has to be better that the wisdom of a blogger, forum contributor or mate - regardless of the standard of the player.

As already highlighted - even such a process can't perform miracles; then again for some the move from 19 to 18 could be considered a miracle 😎

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
*flawed

Thanks for saving me having to watch it. :p That's essentially the reason I haven't thrown money at custom fitting (except for my putter, but I think putting is a different kettle of fish really). I don't think I'd bother getting a custom fit unless I was off about 12 or lower. I know I sometimes get a bout of shanks on the driving range, so imagine if that happens on the day I turn up for a custom fit, what a waste of time and money that would be.

User20204

Visit site
Custom fitting is very much overrated, some of the claims about how much of a difference it will make are shocking, like many other things in life it just becomes an accepted truth with out a second thought.

It's about small margins as far as I'm concerned. Why not be custom fitted, everything to gain, nothing to lose I'd say.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
It's about small margins as far as I'm concerned. Why not be custom fitted, everything to gain, nothing to lose I'd say.
sure, why not, I was at it was included in the cost of the clubs.
Look in the media and it portrayed as some kind of miracle that if you don't get fitted you are giving up 5 plus shots. total nonsense, only one way to see that kind of improvement and its not getting fitted.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you're going to the trouble and expense of getting custom fitted do yourself and your pro a favour and have 3, maybe 4 sessions on trackman over a couple of weeks so you can at least gain an understanding of what your averages are and rule out the risk of rash purchase.if your a mid hcapper being a bit more consistent is probably the best outcome you can expect rather than expecting to gain 15-20 yds in real terms out on the course.Unrealistic expectations and lack of skill can only be glossed over for so long....