Cupped wrist = more distance??

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

Flicking through this month's mag I noticed a picture of Rahm and his driving tips. He also has a bowed wrist similar to Dustin Johnson. As they both give the ball and almighty tonk, is this an important factor in gaining distance or just coincidence?

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Crossfield is big on the correct wrist angles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRU0fVrDmLw

I am trying (not too successfully) to start flattening my wrist more instead of my traditional hinged wrists which leads in part to my over swing. When I get it right, the swing does shorten but I need to do more with my arms and the whole package, and when released properly there is definitely more distance. As I say hit and miss and not got total faith in it especially on the course but I can see some merits in sticking with it.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
This is what I'm doing to straighten my drives out, and it's working well but I need to make it an automatic thing. Atm I'm consciously thinking about it too much.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Crossfield is big on the correct wrist angles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRU0fVrDmLw

I am trying (not too successfully) to start flattening my wrist more instead of my traditional hinged wrists which leads in part to my over swing. When I get it right, the swing does shorten but I need to do more with my arms and the whole package, and when released properly there is definitely more distance. As I say hit and miss and not got total faith in it especially on the course but I can see some merits in sticking with it.

I've been trying for years to flatten my wrist out, as I have a slight cupping action. Then I played with a friend who is now a pro, and he said really not to worry about it, no golfer is completely flat all of the time, some will bow some will cup. It's better to allow the body to do what it naturally wants to do rather than fight it.

Now I'm not that bothered and focussed on other parts of the swing

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Boeing makes no difference to speed. Im cupped at the top (trying to reduce it) but my swing speed is comfortably above DJ and Rahm.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I haven't got a flipping clue. Take it back, whack it. DJs swing looks terrible. I could not replicate that. No way.

Amen to that......flippin awful, but works for him.
many of the Pro's have faults all of their own, as we all do, just have to make it work for you.

Spieth has bent left arm.......
Fowler is way too flat......
etc etc.....

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Amen to that......flippin awful, but works for him.
many of the Pro's have faults all of their own, as we all do, just have to make it work for you.

Spieth has bent left arm.......
Fowler is way too flat......
etc etc.....

So true, all that really matters is what the club head is doing just before and just after impact. All the rest of the swing is just giving you the best chance of getting the important bit right. But if you can do the important bit well, what you do before is largely unimportant, Jim Furyk comes to mind

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
So true, all that really matters is what the club head is doing just before and just after impact. All the rest of the swing is just giving you the best chance of getting the important bit right. But if you can do the important bit well, what you do before is largely unimportant, Jim Furyk comes to mind

So true. I laugh now at some of the instruction I had in the past. "Ok, here's you, and here's Tiger Woods. Now look how his arm is here and yours is here. What we need to do is get you more into that position......." Really, I mean really. You are comparing a Golfing icon with me, Mr Hacktastic. Mortals like most of us don't have the athletic ability, co-ordination or balance to swing anything like a tour pro, that's why we are chopping it around at the weekend.

If a short swing gets great contact, swing it short, if a cupped wrist works ditto and so on.

Society_Fan

Head Pro
www.rigsgolf.co.uk
In 10 / 20 years time this may be one of the fundamentals in golf.

It is golfer specific and may or may not work and best done with a PGA Pro.

General principle. If you hit it to the right (assume you have an open face at impact) then bowing the wrist (at some point in the swing - usually transition) can square the club face up.

Happy golfing.

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In 10 / 20 years time this may be one of the fundamentals in golf.

It is golfer specific and may or may not work and best done with a PGA Pro.

General principle. If you hit it to the right (assume you have an open face at impact) then bowing the wrist (at some point in the swing - usually transition) can square the club face up.

Happy golfing.

Yeh my coach was telling me the importance of the bowed wrist and how more and more coaches are understanding the knock on effects. It basically limits the over the top move, and emphasises body movement and body rotation. It made a lot of sense and it’s something that I am now working on. With my limited time on the course it has made me a lot more consistent so far.

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The instructor i go had me bowing my left wrist. We had a drill where i make the action of taking back a frisbee with your left hand and making same move with a golf club

It worked great for a while but you need your legs to get out the way pretty sharpish on the downswing else its hook city.

I think bowed at the top encourages you to start the downswing by dropping the club and not moving out so helps prevent ott. Again, it can go to other extreme and be underplane and very inside out.

D

Deleted member 21258

Bowing I found for me closes the clubface (I normally present an open clubface at impact), the closed clubface(well near zero) helps to lower launch/spin and as a result flies further. Not taken a vid whilst doing it, so not sure how bowed it is tbh.

As others have said, its very easy to pull or curve the ball left with it. You really need an in to out swing....

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Flicking through this month's mag I noticed a picture of Rahm and his driving tips. He also has a bowed wrist similar to Dustin Johnson. As they both give the ball and almighty tonk, is this an important factor in gaining distance or just coincidence?

the short answer - no a 'bowed' or 'wrist condition in flexion' is not a 'singular' ingredient to gaining distance

- it could though be part of an important factor in some folks swing motions to help give better face angle & loft control at impact so better strike to give improved efficiency chs to bs - & more ball speed more distance - if all the other launch conditions are in a decent ball park area

but 'bowed' wrist & not enough lower body or upper body rotation then there's a good possibility to hit it somewheres leftfield