Critique my swing

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
From your top position down it looks great and you build club head speed nicely, with a great follow through. You can obviously knock the ball a healthy distance.
Your takeaway to your top position is a little quirky though. You stand up a little as you're taking away, obviously somethings not quite right there. You look like a fit healthy guy, why the short backswing? you're only going up to 3/4...

D

Deleted member 18121

difficult to tell from that angle but I almost seems like you have a lot of your weight on your heels and also biased towards your back foot ?

I personally like to see the weight a little further forward on the balls of your feet and more weight on the front foot. A simple fix is to tilt your hips an inch to the left at address.

But if the ball's going long and straight then stay with what you're doing!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Looks like your left arm rolls too much, taking the club around to the inside (and possibly a bit laid off) I guess you hook/block a lot of shots... block when you have passive wrists and hooks when you 'attempt' to square the face.

Ideally you should have the feeling of being a little more 'thumbs up' (to negate the roll) and try to get your left arm high enough to match your shoulder plane. Then swing more 'down your toe line' instead of out to the right.

Not a bad swing, good set up, good tempo.... oodles of lag!!! :p

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looks like your left arm rolls too much, taking the club around to the inside (and possibly a bit laid off) I guess you hook/block a lot of shots... block when you have passive wrists and hooks when you 'attempt' to square the face.

Ideally you should have the feeling of being a little more 'thumbs up' (to negate the roll) and try to get your left arm high enough to match your shoulder plane. Then swing more 'down your toe line' instead of out to the right.

One of the reasons I never have lessons,total waffle.:confused::D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
image.gif

:D

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site
From your top position down it looks great and you build club head speed nicely, with a great follow through. You can obviously knock the ball a healthy distance.
Your takeaway to your top position is a little quirky though. You stand up a little as you're taking away, obviously somethings not quite right there. You look like a fit healthy guy, why the short backswing? you're only going up to 3/4...

Cheers, your observations are spot on I think. Had no idea i was standing up like that - but definitely not right.

Also didn't realise my backswing was so short, I think it may be related to my flat swing that's been alluded to. Swinging flat I guess there's only so far you can physically move without working the club up into a loop.

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site
difficult to tell from that angle but I almost seems like you have a lot of your weight on your heels and also biased towards your back foot ?

I personally like to see the weight a little further forward on the balls of your feet and more weight on the front foot. A simple fix is to tilt your hips an inch to the left at address.

But if the ball's going long and straight then stay with what you're doing!

Yep a little hip bump to the left at address is something I'd like to remember to do more often. You could be right about lack of weight on the lead foot, I notice my lead foot wobbles a bit in the follow through which would seem to indicate not enough weight on it.

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Again, can't disagree with a word of this, thanks for the tips :). I actually think my backswing has been 'poisoned' from reading too much literature about 'one plane' swings. My understanding of the Jim Hardy one plane swing is that you just connect your arms to your chest and then just rotate without introducing a separate vertical element in the arm movement. This seems logically to me the most repeatable way to move. But clearly I'm missing something or not doing it right.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Again, can't disagree with a word of this, thanks for the tips :). I actually think my backswing has been 'poisoned' from reading too much literature about 'one plane' swings. My understanding of the Jim Hardy one plane swing is that you just connect your arms to your chest and then just rotate without introducing a separate vertical element in the arm movement. This seems logically to me the most repeatable way to move. But clearly I'm missing something or not doing it right.

If you 'connect' too much then your right arm sticks to your side dragging your left arm around you too much, being 'connected' is vastly misinterpreted. Feel like the club goes a little more UP over your shoulder rather than around behind you, 'thumbs up' should help.... DON'T go overdoing it though or else you'll then do the opposite and become too narrow, just do enough to help your contact/ballflight.

One plane means that your left arm and shoulders are on the same plane.. your left arm is below that.... you're erm,..'half plane'. LOL :D:D

Last edited:

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you 'connect' too much then your right arm sticks to your side dragging your left arm around you too much, being 'connected' is vastly misinterpreted. Feel like the club goes a little more UP over your shoulder rather than around behind you, 'thumbs up' should help.... DON'T go overdoing it though or else you'll then do the opposite and become too narrow, just do enough to help your contact/ballflight.

One plane means that your left arm and shoulders are on the same plane.. your left arm is below that.... you're erm,..'half plane'. LOL :D:D

Thanks again :thup: will definitely put this into practice, I've noticed my thumbs are almost horizontal! Have been reading as well about Jim Waldron's arm swing illusion and think I may have been a victim :(

I need to eliminate my hooks and pushes once and for all, just too destructive especially as I generate ample club head speed.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Thanks again :thup: will definitely put this into practice, I've noticed my thumbs are almost horizontal! Have been reading as well about Jim Waldron's arm swing illusion and think I may have been a victim :(

I need to eliminate my hooks and pushes once and for all, just too destructive especially as I generate ample club head speed.

The shoulders turn but the arms really don't move much, they hinge the club more 'upwards' whilst the shoulder turn takes the club around to the side..... and now I've just seen your post on WRX :D

I wouldn't get too hung up on the arm swing illusion though, you've got a good looking swing there that's just a bit 'rolly' and a bit flat/deep. If you can get it just a little more upright in the upswing it allows you to still come from the inside on the downswing...but just not quite so much... even Sergio doesn't lay the club down quite as much as you!! :p

Last edited:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will never post a swing on here! (I know Rick G did ages ago)

paralysis by analysis lol. Nice swing tbh, looks similar to mine on the follow through includng the left foot pointing out more which is something I am working on, I reckon for me its down to swinging to quick as when I swing slower and more controlled I get better direction and no loss in distance... food for thought?

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The shoulders turn but the arms really don't move much, they hinge the club more 'upwards' whilst the shoulder turn takes the club around to the side..... and now I've just seen your post on WRX :D

I wouldn't get too hung up on the arm swing illusion though, you've got a good looking swing there that's just a bit 'rolly' and a bit flat/deep. If you can get it just a little more upright in the upswing it allows you to still come from the inside on the downswing...but just not quite so much... even Sergio doesn't lay the club down quite as much as you!! :p

Yeah can't believe they've got a thread there with about 60 pages basically discussing the arms moving up a bit :confused:, seems to me a bit like someone making money from making something sound more complicated than it is

I've practiced in the house and can start to feel more of a diagonal plane with the club more up and in front of me. Playing tomorrow... will see how it goes :)

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I will never post a swing on here! (I know Rick G did ages ago)

paralysis by analysis lol. Nice swing tbh, looks similar to mine on the follow through includng the left foot pointing out more which is something I am working on, I reckon for me its down to swinging to quick as when I swing slower and more controlled I get better direction and no loss in distance... food for thought?

I tend to make my best swings when I don't try to rip it or slow down. As in the swing on this thread, I've not tried to blast that, just made a backswing and then let whatever momentum and energy I've stored just happen on its own and as long as I stay in balance I know I've not gone too fast. I think tempo, rhythm, sequencing, synchronisation, balance etc are more important than just slowing it down but perhaps these things are easier to achieve in a slower swing.