Cramping the swing

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
what would be the effect of restricting or over controlling the follow through? I rarely find (or maybe allow) my hands much past shoulder height and the club ends up not far off the vertical, often doesn't even get that far.

B

birdieman

You are doing what many refer to as 'steering' the ball in an effort to keep control over the clubhead. Effect is a big power loss as you are trying to apply the brakes to your swing before you're through the ball. You will be putting a lot of unnecessary tension in your swing too.
You want to loosen that grip and get a good shoulder turn then really let the arms swing freely to the end of the swing.
May be you need some serious stretching exercise...did you play rugby when younger by chance?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I do this too, and it certainly does rob you of power, and also control. It leads me to block the shot right, as the hands don't rotate properly.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
thanks guys, I can get distance off the tee but always felt under powered. I thought it was due to swinging slowly but our former captain reckoned that was OK but the swing itself is idiosyncratic. I asked him to describe it but he couldn't!
'steering' certainly sounds right as that is the feeling I have. I always feel that if I let loose I will get a big slice.

played a bit of rugby (usually prop, sometimes second row), but mostly water polo, swimming and hockey

Smudge

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My little man age 8 has just started some junior coaching and the pro has told him the most impotant thing is a nice balanced finish with the club resting on the shoulder. If that helps any?

Prubs

Club Champion
Visit site
Check your left elbow....you might find that you are "chicken winging" it (lifting it up in the follow through)If you are..thn try and keep it as close to your body as possible....hope this helps

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
ARGH! :D

You need to fix this.....I caught myself doing the same thing, it's a no-no in my book.

"So many people neglect their follow through. Perhaps they feel that once the ball has gone there is nothing more they can do to influence its flight. That's true, I suppose, but it misses the point entirely. Remember, your follow through position is a statement of intent, and knowing where you want to finish WILL HELP YOU RELEASE THE CLUB CORRECTLY THROUGH IMPACT."

Page 72, "A Swing for life" Nick Faldo "The Finish - wrap the club around your neck"