Craft beer and real ale drinkers

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Never drink beer flavoured water other wise known as mass produced lager. So mostly proper beer for me, current favorites are Innis and Gunn and I am partial to a nice weissbier. Also I have a great brewery near me, Blue Monkey, that does some great IPAs.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Have you been to Brewbot on the Ormeau Road, Belfast? They do something similar. Definitely not cheap though at £6/7 a pint. Massive choice of bottled and canned beers as well.

http://www.brewbotbelfast.com/

Ahh opposite the Errigle, not been in since it was refurbed. We go up to the big house to play pool occasionally out of work so might venture across for our easter outing. Cheers.

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I brew my own now....have been doing it for a couple of years and the financial savings over buying beer from shops/pubs is huge. Maybe £20-£25 for all the necessary ingredients and 6 hours spare on a Saturday will deliver roughly 40 pints.

Keeps me out of trouble and I've brewed some lovely stuff that is easily better than what most pubs serve up.

I do that too. I'm guessing that you do all grain?

Berger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ahh opposite the Errigle, not been in since it was refurbed. We go up to the big house to play pool occasionally out of work so might venture across for our easter outing. Cheers.

yeah that's the one. It's had a few reincarnations over the years. Worth a visit to try a few different beers but not the type of place you'd stay all night if you were out for a session.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My Local Pub 'The Nags Head' is fantastic for beer. They have their own brewery making St Georges Beers then have a number of other permanent beers followed by around seven guest ales. There are around seventeen to choose from and then a range of ciders and lagers. They have a string of awards including National Pub of the year a few times. My current favourite is 'Otter Ale' from the Otter brewery in Devon.

Good stock of Whiskies and there is a good Monthly Beer Club

http://www.nagsheadmalvern.co.uk

Last edited:

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brewdog is not overrated! Got to stick up for my local brewery.
Love craft beers, tiny rebel from Newport is very good, local pubs sell some nice craft beers as well, city arms in Cardiff always have different craft beers in.
Funny thing is I prefer the stronger ones! Can get you in a right state if not careful

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Found out last month that my wife's cousin is married to the son of the brewer at Otter. Will have to arrange a tour! Shame it's so far away from Lancaster.

It's near Honiton, fair trip for you but I would like to call in when i'm back in Gods County again.

D

Deleted member 15344

Reading his Twitter feed - Mike H is a big fan of real ale

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Mikkeller are the stand out on that board, many of the finest beers I've tried were Mikkeller.

Yea I like all of the jars that I have tasted of theirs, they have quite a lot of varieties on the go. Id class them as almost mainstream but to be fair to them, they are better than most of the big brand swallies.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Mikkeller mainstream? Oh dear!

Surprisingly widely available over there, only reason I say it. The map on their website doesnt show any bars availability on funen island part of Denmark whatsoever, Ive drank it in at least 3 pubs and seen more.

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Have you seen that brewdog have released all their recipes for free? Would you consider trying one of them?

Yes.... I've got the PDF.... just gonna take some time going through them to see what I'd like to brew and trying to fit it into my brewing/golfing schedule!!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Not craft beer I know, but one of the benefits of EU migration is the number of Baltic/Polish/Eastern European shops that have sprung up... usually a good source of beer from such regions along with a couple of frozen Carp!!!

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yep... started off with a couple of kits when I first started but the move to all grain was inevitable as I wanted to try to recreate some of my favourite beers.

I'm still doing the kits, but started playing around doing a kind of minimash with some grains.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a real ale expert. Was brought up a lager drinker (just the way it was) and so only go onto proper beer in fits and starts. I'm happy to try different beers with no real idea what I'm supping and just go on whether I like the taste or not without getting to pretentious on nose, colour etc. Tends to be more a winter thing for me. Mike H is definitely an expert in this field through years of extensive research

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Me and the Mrs have a joint CAMRA membership which more than pays for itself with the discounts. Lucky to have a couple of top "real ale" pubs in the village centre where we go out. Not a connoisseur by any stretch but really enjoy the choice and take in the odd festival and a few coach trips. Enjoy lager too, but if there's real ale I'll normally be drinking that.