Course raters

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just signed up for a Wales Golf course raters seminar... 2 weeks time.

Anyone completed this? No idea what to expect.
I was the Rating Manager for my county when the USGA Rating System was introduced. I retired from the position a couple of years ago due to lack of time.
As it is a seminar rather than a training course, I expect you will get a decent walk through of the system and the process of allocation points to course 'features', without going into factor values. This will probably be followed by an excursion onto the course to see 'how it is done'. Almost certainly this will include the area round a green (including green size, contours, speed and bunkers). Also a teeing area with an interesting fairway and surrounds.

If your are still interested (and I hope you will be) you should be invited to formal training sessions which normally means accompanying a rating team for a few 'for real' ratings.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A guy at our Club did it for Cumbria. From what I understand very intensive and they go round as a team. He was totally dedicated and previously did course assent so had a some idea of what was involved in a smaller way.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A guy at our Club did it for Cumbria. From what I understand very intensive and they go round as a team. He was totally dedicated and previously did course assent so had a some idea of what was involved in a smaller way.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.
What is course assent? Not familiar with the term.
I used to do Standard Scratch rating under the EGU but I don't remember it being called that.

D-S

Visit site
Just attended the overview via a Teams Call. Nothing outrageous, sounds far more up my street than Rules Seminars!

Got a load of training videos etc coming my way... Will definitely go on the "on course" session.
Good idea - it is very interesting and enjoyable to do as a 'helper', it is the lead raters that really do all the tough stuff and put the hours in though - much respect to to them.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
They are short of a Team Leader in my area, I can't see me having the time, but being a flunkey seems sufficient!

I wonder if you get any Wales Golf swag?:ROFLMAO:
I got nothing except a biro from England for attending a County reps meeting.
Most clubs however gave us a sandwich or even lunch.