Counter-Balance grip on a 'regular' putter?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
T
Strictly speaking no it isn't. For it to be counterbalanced the weight in the shaft must be above the hands.
That rather depends on where you choose to place your hands on the grip. Counter balanced putters usually have fairly long grips to allow you grip down. Basically they are fairly heavy overall but have a reasonably normal swing weight if held in the intended position. The extra weight is supposed to smooth out your putting stroke. :)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It is my understanding that anything with weight in the putter grip moves the balance point making it counter balanced. It doesn't necessarily have to be above the hands.

Take bocceri secret grip for example.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
It is my understanding that anything with weight in the putter grip moves the balance point making it counter balanced. It doesn't necessarily have to be above the hands.

Take bocceri secret grip for example.

http://www.pga.com/golf-equipment/g...mily-counterbalanced-putters-three-new-models

To optimize its counterbalance technology, TaylorMade explained, golfers should assume their normal address position and grip the club two to three inches below the top end of the grip. By doing so, more weight is above the golfer’s hands, which is key for increasing stability.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's what they say. I've put a weight into the grip of a heavy mallet putter. It is as counter balanced as those Taylor made putters. I have used them too.

They encourage you to grip two or three inches down. What they are saying is to try and find the best place that you feel comfortable with. Everyone will have their own preference.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's what they say. I've put a weight into the grip of a heavy mallet putter. It is as counter balanced as those Taylor made putters. I have used them too.

They encourage you to grip two or three inches down. What they are saying is to try and find the best place that you feel comfortable with. Everyone will have their own preference.

Most Ping, TM and Odyseey Cb putters are 38" in length for the specific reason of getting the weight above the hands.

Yes, there are shorter versions but are compensated for with heavier shafts.

I very much doub the OEM's would make shafts 38" without good reason.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I very much doub the OEM's would make shafts 38" without good reason.

People have adding weight to their putter grip for decades. What reason could OEM's try to dress up old technology as ground breaking? I hav£nt got a clu£! ;)