Counter-Balance grip on a 'regular' putter?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Aside from altering the swing weight of the putter (If not re-weighted) making the head lighter, would there be any other positive or negative effects in performance?

I'm considering putting a 16.5" counter balance grip on Odyssey purely from a hand positioning point of view.

Any thoughts?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I fitted a counterweight into my Wilson 8881 putter and the difference it has made to my long distance putting has been most noticable. I used a metal counterweight from Nordica Golf http://www.nordicagolf.co.uk/putter-counterweights.html the only place I could find one. Their stuff comes from Europe but delivery is quite quick & they appear to be quite reputable. Worth a try, you'll notice a difference.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I fitted a counterweight into my Wilson 8881 putter and the difference it has made to my long distance putting has been most noticable. I used a metal counterweight from Nordica Golf http://www.nordicagolf.co.uk/putter-counterweights.html the only place I could find one. Their stuff comes from Europe but delivery is quite quick & they appear to be quite reputable. Worth a try, you'll notice a difference.

Did you re-weight the head or leave as is?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Normally counter balance putters have a heavier head (... And sometimes shaft) I believe.

I remember reading about this somewhere before I did it & I'm sure it didn't say anything about weighting the head. Can't for the life of me remember where it was I read it. You should be aware that the process might not be reversible, the counterweight is quite a snug fit. I originally bought my Wilson putter just to experiment. It worked so well I did the Anser too but when I inserted the counterweight I had to hammer the last bit in and the shaft split slightly. Doesn't affect the way it putts but I doubt I'd ever be able to get it out. As it happens my long putting is currently incredibly good with my cheap, experimental putter.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I remember reading about this somewhere before I did it & I'm sure it didn't say anything about weighting the head. Can't for the life of me remember where it was I read it. You should be aware that the process might not be reversible, the counterweight is quite a snug fit. I originally bought my Wilson putter just to experiment. It worked so well I did the Anser too but when I inserted the counterweight I had to hammer the last bit in and the shaft split slightly. Doesn't affect the way it putts but I doubt I'd ever be able to get it out. As it happens my long putting is currently incredibly good with my cheap, experimental putter.

Good point about the plug.

I would have thought it easier to use the counter balanced grips (As I originally planned). That way you simply cut the grip off to remove the counterbalance.

Re-weighting the head with tape or tungsten powder is only really to keep the swing weight similar to when it started.

A heavier grip will move the swing weight quite a few points. Re-weighting the head counters this.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Good point about the plug.

I would have thought it easier to use the counter balanced grips (As I originally planned). That way you simply cut the grip off to remove the counterbalance.

Re-weighting the head with tape or tungsten powder is only really to keep the swing weight similar to when it started.

A heavier grip will move the swing weight quite a few points. Re-weighting the head counters this.

The counterbalance I used is 100g. Not sure if a grip would add that much.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you want to play around first then chop the end of your current grip so that the shaft end is exposed. Get some string a long bolt and some nuts (lots of nuts) you can then thread the nuts onto the bolt to whatever weight you want to add, wrap the string around the bolt and insert into shaft. Keep adding nuts until you find a nice feel, you can even move the weight around by changing the strong length.

Once your happy take out the bolt and weight it, add that weight to your current grip weight and you have an idea of what weight grip you need to find.... Or do it even cheaper and keep the bolt and add loads of hot melt glue and stick it inside the shaft instead, meaning you can add a standard grip of your choice.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you want to play around first then chop the end of your current grip so that the shaft end is exposed. Get some string a long bolt and some nuts (lots of nuts) you can then thread the nuts onto the bolt to whatever weight you want to add, wrap the string around the bolt and insert into shaft. Keep adding nuts until you find a nice feel, you can even move the weight around by changing the strong length.

Once your happy take out the bolt and weight it, add that weight to your current grip weight and you have an idea of what weight grip you need to find.... Or do it even cheaper and keep the bolt and add loads of hot melt glue and stick it inside the shaft instead, meaning you can add a standard grip of your choice.

Probably easier for me to go with post #2 :rofl:

You have mail Homer :thup:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Taking the thread off on a slight tangent for a moment.

Would a 17" grip fit a 'regular' 34"-35" putter correctly or would the lower section need building up?

Last edited:

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have my Ping Scottsdale WolverineC cut at 35" (I am normally 32") with the Ping AVS CB grip on. As it is a mallet putter it is already a heavy head, I have left the CB weight out. I'm finding it much easier on short putts and judging distance on longer ones. I tried a Senita CB that had the weight in and the heavier head but found it too heavy, was great on 4-5 footers but couldn't judge long putts. I find the normal weight head without the counter weight a great compromise.
I did have to build up the tape under bottom part of the grip.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have my Ping Scottsdale WolverineC cut at 35" (I am normally 32") with the Ping AVS CB grip on. As it is a mallet putter it is already a heavy head, I have left the CB weight out. I'm finding it much easier on short putts and judging distance on longer ones. I tried a Senita CB that had the weight in and the heavier head but found it too heavy, was great on 4-5 footers but couldn't judge long putts. I find the normal weight head without the counter weight a great compromise.
I did have to build up the tape under bottom part of the grip.

That's what I thought.

How many layer did you find worked best?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have fitted a 100 Super Stroke 'Claw' grip to a slightly shortened Yes putter. I had to add rather a lot of Lead tape to the head to get its swing weight back to D1. Putters start to become a bit twitchy if the swing weight gets too low! :)

D

Deleted member 15344

I have fitted a 100 Super Stroke 'Claw' grip to a slightly shortened Yes putter. I had to add rather a lot of Lead tape to the head to get its swing weight back to D1. Putters start to become a bit twitchy if the swing weight gets too low! :)

It's not a counter balance one though is it ?