Countback/tiebreak query

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's interesting to hear another alternative from abroad Hosel Fade, thanks!

Now we didn't have a shotgun start, but, having looked at the three cards this morning and applying the logic mentioned above (if I have picked it up correctly)...

Player B (who won the prize) outscored myself by one stroke (and Player C by two strokes) over a 'back 9' made up of Indexes 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 14, 16, 18...so we may be getting somewhere!

At least it gives me a talking point for a possible suggestion when I'm at the club this evening.
you entered the comp paid your fee and as you say nobody beat your score.
You are entitled to an explanation of the prosess.

Dont be shy just ask for an explanation if there's nothing wrong in the system they use they should have no problem explaining it to you.

If you won you are entitled to the trophy.
If it was me I would have asked for this at least.

garyo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sorry clubchamp98, maybe I wasn't clear earlier so just to clarify, this wasn't quite for the outright comp victory and/or trophy, but for 'a gross prize' in a standard comp.

Don't think that should make any difference though so your point is still bang on...though maybe I'd have been (even more!) frustrated had it been for a trophy (or anything more than a sleeve of balls or whatever was given out as the prize!).

You also raise a good point that there should be no issue with providing me explanation if the system has simply followed its programmed procedure and the office have accurately followed the outcome. I worry that the problem here is an over-reliance on the computer to analyse the results and a blind acceptance that they are what they are, rather than questioning 'how?' they are generated. Which I suppose is my only real gripe here...I have no problem accepting the result, but would just like to know how it came about.

PS I tried to post a reply earlier to rulefan but got a pop up to say it's being held for moderation (new-poster forum rules maybe?) so not sure if/when that will appear in the thread...or if the same will happen with this post for that matter!

garyo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Update: Got a chat with Comp Sec last night and apparently the gross countback in these situations is generated depending on your scores at the holes you don't have shots. I just took that to mean the scores are collated for these holes, as it would be easily done in this exact scenario where all 3 players were off the same playing h/c. But after further thought, there's a chance that maybe they just work backwards hole by hole from Index 18. Either of these methods would result in Player B being awarded the prize, so that'll do me for now.

Still a bit frustrated as I can't see any reason why they wouldn't use the standard countback procedure (if it ain't broke and all that!), but I appreciate also that countback isn't really designed to be 'fair' so to speak, just an arbitrary, pre-defined, black and white method to break a tie. So in essence, this is the same thing. Annoying that I missed out on a nett prize last year where identical back 9s where split by going to S.I.1, and this seems to be the opposite by only considering the higher indexes, but ah well!

As mentioned, it was just the uncertainty of the method that got me curious rather than any annoyance at the result, so I'm happy to take that as it is now and will know for again.

Thanks again for your input and advice guys. Been a good icebreaker to the forum so hopefully be a bit more active from here!

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That's ridiculous. They've diddled you there. Really p's me off when people start making up crazy things like this, they should just stick to the tried and tested, not try and reinvent a wheel that's not broken. It's a scratch prize, sod all to do with handicap, shots etc etc

Last edited:

garyo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Can't disagree with you mate, it doesn't seem to make sense at all, but sure it is what it is. I will be keeping an eye out for future instances though to make sure the same method is applied!

I've also added it to my ever-growing list of 'things to change' for when I become CompSec/Captain/President/Dictator :D