Count-back formula

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So which method is the 'most official' for separating individual medal tied scores in a handicap comp

I see one where its gross score minus the strokes allocated on back 9,6,3 etc
Also see gross minus a fraction of handicap so 1/2 handicap for back 9, 1/3 of handicap for back 6 etc and rounding up .5's

(the word countback doesn't seem to appear in the CONGU manual I checked)

Thanks

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
So which method is the 'most official' for separating individual medal tied scores in a handicap comp

I see one where its gross score minus the strokes allocated on back 9,6,3 etc
Also see gross minus a fraction of handicap so 1/2 handicap for back 9, 1/3 of handicap for back 6 etc and rounding up .5's

(the word countback doesn't seem to appear in the CONGU manual I checked)

Thanks

Appendix N in the CONGU manual refers you to Appendix 1 Part B 10 in the Rules of Golf.

P.S. it's called Resolution of Ties.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks, I get that to mean subtract the full strokes as they were allocated on the holes in question?

No. If it's decided over the back nine, the *exact* half of each players handicap is subtracted. If it's the last six, then exactly 1/3 is subtracted. If it's the last three, then subtract exactly 1/6th.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
No. If it's decided over the back nine, the *exact* half of each players handicap is subtracted. If it's the last six, then exactly 1/3 is subtracted. If it's the last three, then subtract exactly 1/6th.

Ah ok, thanks, so I see this section:

For competitions where the handicap stroke table is not relevant, such as individual stroke play, if the last nine, last six, last three holes scenario is used, one-half, one-third, one-sixth, etc. of the handicaps should be deducted from the score for those holes.
In terms of the use of fractions in such deductions, the Committee should act in accordance with the recommendations of the relevant handicapping authority.

So the follow up is, what is the 'most official' way to deal with fractions (for illustration lets use CONGU as the handicap authority) Or are you using CONGU when you say 'exact'

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah ok, thanks, so I see this section:

For competitions where the handicap stroke table is not relevant, such as individual stroke play, if the last nine, last six, last three holes scenario is used, one-half, one-third, one-sixth, etc. of the handicaps should be deducted from the score for those holes.
In terms of the use of fractions in such deductions, the Committee should act in accordance with the recommendations of the relevant handicapping authority.

So the follow up is, what is the 'most official' way to deal with fractions (for illustration lets use CONGU as the handicap authority) Or are you using CONGU when you say 'exact'

Confused as to what you are now asking - appendix N is crystal clear

"In this context CONGU® directs that the exact fractions i.e. one-half, one-third, one-sixth etc. or
commonly accepted decimal equivalents are deducted. The fractional or decimal allowances should not be rounded to a whole number."

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Confused as to what you are now asking - appendix N is crystal clear

"In this context CONGU® directs that the exact fractions i.e. one-half, one-third, one-sixth etc. or
commonly accepted decimal equivalents are deducted. The fractional or decimal allowances should not be rounded to a whole number."

Thanks that's clear now, the R&A site doesn't include the word 'exact'

(& btw jumping between the two sites and the appendices, rule numbers, parts etc etc, is never 'crystal clear' when doing it for the first time :) )

Thanks guys

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Are you doing this manually? Is it for non 'official' comp?

The software does it automatically where I play.

Yeah manual, two reasons, first to sort out a minor placing issue on a society comp but mostly to make sure the CoC is clear for an upcoming comp

D

Deleted member 21258

Appendix N in the CONGU manual refers you to Appendix 1 Part B 10 in the Rules of Golf.

P.S. it's called Resolution of Ties.

Took part in a 4 ball texas scramble(medal) yesterday and countback was calculated on gross scores for back 9 (ie. with no allowance for handicaps. Have to declare an interest here, we lost a 3rd on countback, not that I am worried about that tbh). I was surprised that it would be calculated on gross score.

After reading the link below and page 78, does that mean that they can decide to base it on gross back 9 hole countback if they want(just thought it was a bit strange that it would be gross and did a search on the forum and found this recent post) :-

http://www.englandgolf.org/library-media\documents\English Web Version(2).pdf

'Rule 33-6 of the
Rules of Golf empowers the Committee to determine the method for deciding the result
of ties in both stroke play and match play