Could you be a commentator?

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Having seen the results of the GM poll to find the greatest golf commentator (Peter Alliss, who else?) it got me wondering what makes a good commentator/pundit. Could any of us do it or do you have to have played the game professionally to be any good at it?

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to present my own radio station so im used to chatting nonsense on air but i havent got the calm tone needed for golf!. nor has dull boring Gary lineker SACK HIM!

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I swear far too much and am not renowned for being exactly impartial either.

I would make a bad golf commentator for sure but as a football commentator I would be the worst ever.

I speak my mind freely and tell it how I see it!

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
No way! I have a strong Welsh accent, swear far to much and Would use it as an excuse to moan about the state of our country to loads of people.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm afraid I'd last about 5 minutes before being hauled off the air for shouting "Cheer up you miserable b*stard! Look what you get to do for a living! It's not the end of the world. Try playing on a municipal course on a Saturday afternoon mate - then you'd have something to moan about. And carry your own bags you fat git, you could lose the weight..."

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Would love to do that job but it's got to be an ex-pro or someone with strong links in the game. On top of that you need a sort of x-factor which makes people warm to you, your voice and style.

So by this definition :

Gary 'punch me' Linekar...

1) Ex-pro : NOT
2) Strong links with the game: NOT
3) x-factor: more like x- chromosome.

A big fat nil for 3 there gazza - jog on. :mad:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am a great admirer of Peter Alliss. I have to be fair and say I also enjoy the on course whimsies of both Richard Boxall and Wayne Grady.

I actually suggested to GM that it would make an interesting feature to go behind the scenes and look at how BBC or Sky put together their broadcasts. Naturally I put myself forward to do the investigative reporting. GM - is the idea a goer?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would like to travel with them but commentate, no-way. With Ames thinking sub-5 hours is a quick game,I'd be asleep before they played the first hole.
I want a commentator with some bile - I'm sick and tired of the fawning, sycophants that you get on the pga tour.
I don't think I could conjure up enough drivel for the intervening moments - anyone heard Duffield doing the Tour de France? (Chateaux what I have stayed at, wines what me and some unintelligle Irish geezer (sorry guys but he is) have drunk and the latest recipe for three bean soup.)

The_Squire

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm afraid I'd last about 5 minutes before being hauled off the air for shouting "Cheer up you miserable b*stard! Look what you get to do for a living! It's not the end of the world. Try playing on a municipal course on a Saturday afternoon mate - then you'd have something to moan about. And carry your own bags you fat git, you could lose the weight..."
All this after a days work and the wife moaning you spend too much time on the golf course , they don't know they're born.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Depends if there was a fit female co-commentator or not.

I wouldn't last long anyway as for example I would have been shouting "puuuusssssyyyy" at Adam Scott at the weekend for laying up on 18 however right he was in his decision :) - think the right boot would follow shortly after!