could somebody please critique my golf swing?

debenaire

Visit site
hi all,

this is my first post! i have recently taken up golf over the last 2 or 3 months and asked a friend to record my swing. I'm not quite sure if my swing is correct and if there are any obvious flaws and was wondering if somebody could take a look at it and give me a few pointers please?

i have posted a video of my swing on youtube below:

my swing

your help would really be appreciated.

Thank you.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks very good for someone who has only been playing 2-3mths.

The video is not the best but heres my 2 pennies worth,

Stance looks to be quite open, ie. leading foot is pulled back a bit. I think that a square stance is better for the majority of shots and makes lining up shoulders, hips, etc with the target a lot easier.

Backswing a little rushed maybe. Try slowing it down a tad and watch that your right arm does not fold or bend at the top, keep this as straight as possible but not tense.

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
You're trying to hit it too hard.
You really shouldn't have your left leg swing around that far. (Did you slip?)
I'd suggest counting to four on your backswing (It will feel like it's almost in slow motion)
Remember your not hitting the ball in the direction of your backswing, the backswing is only there to get you into position to hit the ball so you don't have to apply power to it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It is all way too quick, you come out of the shot early, and your follow through is out of balance. Try looking where the ball was for longer rather than looking where it is going, and swing easy, let the club do the work.

Are you having lessons?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
You are standing round the wrong way mate.

Ooopps. I can't believe I said that. :eek:

:D :D

Can't believe i am agreeing with you Leftie !

Yes slow it down, and hit through the ball, not across it. Heard Gary Player say at Nedbank, that one of the most common faults is not staying low through the ball. He reckoned Lee Westwood was one of the best in that dept, so if its good enough for the world number 1.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
You do "step" through the swing.

As you are pretty new to the game you may be trying too hard but also you may be a naturally quick. I would focus on getting back to your start position and keep the swing a little more compact.

I used to sway way to my right and only get back to my start position because of my natural timing, when it didnt work it was bad, when it did I played very well. You seem to have very good natural timing too so you can move so much and come back because of it.