Coul Links - Maybe not!

D

Deleted Member 1156

No big surprise, something as environmentally sensitive as this is always going to have objectors.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Post this on an environmental forum and they will all want it blocked. We see the how golf courses can manage land very successfully but we should not be surprised if others believe there are already too many courses or that they will do damage. Always two sides to something.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Post this on an environmental forum and they will all want it blocked. We see the how golf courses can manage land very successfully but we should not be surprised if others believe there are already too many courses or that they will do damage. Always two sides to something.[/QUO

Im pretty sure at Dunes they have been commended on the work they do by sssi folk. By all accounts Trump wrecked it up there but other courses have worked in tandem with them.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stewardship
The World’s Most Natural Golf Course.
Enjoy golf the way it was meant to be –a game played against the natural challenges of the land itself. Machrihanish Dunes is the only course ever created on a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSi). Because of the fragility of this pristine coastal environment and in order to preserve for all time the unmatched natural beauty of the site, the course was built and is maintained with the lightest touch possible. Of the 259 acres on which the course sits, only seven – yes, seven – were disturbed during the construction of the course. Only the tees and greens were shaped. The fairways upon which golfers tread are just as they were found, only mown, shorter and optimized for golf. If you see any Hebridean black sheep wandering about, just know that they are there to help us keep the rough in check.
In 2011 – and again in 2014 – Machrihanish Dunes received Golf Environmental Organization (GEO) Certification for creating and maintaining a sustainable golf agenda, while fulfilling GEO’s required assessments for maintenance and management practices at the most comprehensive eco-levels. Machrihanish Dunes was the first 18-hole golf course in the U.K. to achieve this prestigious certification.
GEO conducts a rigorous application and judging process, with a focus on assessing a club`s policies on the use of fertiliser and irrigation water, their waste disposal, commitment to the support of local businesses, protection of indigenous flora and fauna, and many other aspects of the business. Our parent company, Southworth Europe, is committed to protecting the stunningly diverse natural environment that it has inherited from previous custodians, and was therefore incredibly proud to be continually recognised by the Golf Environment Organisation for our commitment to maintaining our golf course, maintenance facility, and clubhouse in a sustainable and environmentally sensitive manner.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do get why environ folk get upset but when done right it can work.

I quite agree. A few years ago I went on a trip to a Dupont factory in Northern Spain. They had taken over a valley and built 4 huge factories there producing different products, some chemical, some physical. We were taken round by a guide on the first day. He explained that his background was an environmental campaigner. When Dupont announce they were moving to the valley he and others protested against the move. He told how one of the cars stopped, someone got out and asked if he would work with them, not against them. He went in and listened to what Dupont had to say and agreed. Dupont put money aside for environmental works and it was his job to make sure it was spent properly alongside other groups. They tidied up the valley, restored animals there that had long since left. They cleaned out the lake, restocked it with fish, they keep it clear. Birds started to come back to the valley, they built Hides and bird watchers now come on holiday there. Walkers use it, they didn't before as the pathways and tracks had become overgrown and unmanaged. The four factories are hidden by the natural landscape and tree planting. They designed it to work with the valley.

Now I accept that some of the talk may have been romanticised but his point was that business and wildlife can work together if the business is sympathetic to it from the very beginning. They can even improve the situation, as they did in this case.

Business can get it wrong at times but they can also get it right and automatically objecting to something without looking at it objectively is plain wrong.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
http://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/highlands-course-project-set-for-public-inquiry

Tree huggers always come out of the works. Don't know the extent of the environmental impact myself but it always seems like people object to anything.

Pro's and cons in both arguments.

it was always going to be called in and scrutinized after the debacle at Trump Aberdeen, i see there is no mention of SNH in the article they are still objecting, but SEPA removed its objection, but i don't know why.

I played with Todd a couple of months ago and though no doubt it would be a stunning course, does the area really need another golf course,esp as there is only going to be a course on the site and no clubhouse etc. Everything is going though RD. There is already a lack of accommodation in the area, due to the seasonal business. a few of the local courses are struggling so i think personally it would do more harm than good to those. CS is struggling and can't find a buyer. Dornoch is the big draw for visitors so it would just mean less visitors for: Brora, Golspie, Tain etc

But who knows, esp if the right palms get greased;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

it was always going to be called in and scrutinized after the debacle at Trump Aberdeen, i see there is no mention of SNH in the article they are still objecting, but SEPA removed its objection, but i don't know why.

I played with Todd a couple of months ago and though no doubt it would be a stunning course, does the area really need another golf course,esp as there is only going to be a course on the site and no clubhouse etc. Everything is going though RD. There is already a lack of accommodation in the area, due to the seasonal business. a few of the local courses are struggling so i think personally it would do more harm than good to those. CS is struggling and can't find a buyer. Dornoch is the big draw for visitors so it would just mean less visitors for: Brora, Golspie, Tain etc

But who knows, esp if the right palms get greased;)
There is also the possibility that another top course in the area to compliment Dornoch and Castle Stuart could draw in more visitors as it adds another good option. Just makes the long journey up there that bit more attractive.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Machrihanish Dunes is the only course ever created on a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSi).

My immediate reaction when I read this was it's a load of rubbish as my course is on a SSSI.

Then I realised that SSSI probably didn't exist 120 years ago when my course was built :giggle:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This development has been called in for good reason and will hopefully not go ahead.
Golf is just not that important and there are already more than enough over priced courses in Scotland.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
This development has been called in for good reason and will hopefully not go ahead.
Golf is just not that important and there are already more than enough over priced courses in Scotland.

No body is forcing you to play or even pay "over priced" courses. You could argue that Dunbar is over priced at £85 a round, £100 on a Friday and £115 at the weekend. That is more expensive than some top 100 courses.

It's been proven that SSSI sites and golf course can flourish together when managed correctly and in a responsible manner. The place will create jobs and increase tourism. Course like Brora, Fortrose, Tain, Golspie etc will all get a spin off from the increased golfer numbers that is not a doubt.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Perhaps some sssi have survived are have recovered but experts (not you or I) are saying that these dunes are almost a one off. I say leave well alone.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I do think the Environmental lobby kinda make a rod for their own back by simply objecting to pretty much every major building work or project.

It totally takes away any impetus for their arguments as they seem to object to everything.

'The conservation groups say that building the golf course would have a 'devastating environmental impact' in an area that is incredibly important for wildlife and heavily protected by several environmental designations.'

A devastating environmental impact? What words would they choose if they proposed to build 800 homes, a retail park, an office block and a new duel carriageway?
That would have a devastating environmental impact. A golf course, obviously less so.

However... if the local council had approved it, surely the area can't have a current designated status? Or it would never have gotten that far in the 1st place.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
No body is forcing you to play or even pay "over priced" courses. You could argue that Dunbar is over priced at £85 a round, £100 on a Friday and £115 at the weekend. That is more expensive than some top 100 courses.

It's been proven that SSSI sites and golf course can flourish together when managed correctly and in a responsible manner. The place will create jobs and increase tourism. Course like Brora, Fortrose, Tain, Golspie etc will all get a spin off from the increased golfer numbers that is not a doubt.
My main concern Jacko is for what already here, they are not building and clubhouse and the only structure on the course is a starters hut. people will be bused from Dornoch to play, or at least that's the plan.

most visitors ive spoken to come to play Dornoch and depending which Tour operator they come with might play CS and Nairn as well and maybe the odd local course ( Highland links, which is the joint marketing company for the 3 courses). Nairn and Dornoch have had bumper years for visitors, a record for us, Mainly down to the weak Stirling. Many have either been to the other top courses in Scotland and those on the open rota or are going there next. with so many courses now vying for that business the smaller clubs are losing out. lets not forget CS were also planning another course, though i'm not sure if that will go ahead.