Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Sorry, Billy, I didn't mean to be unfair, if that's how you see it.
But this is a situation where others can be dreadfully affected by the actions of others.
Above, where you say "If I choose .......etc.
Masks do not fully prevent you breathing in the virus. They help enormously, but not hundred per cent. They also help prevent you breathing out the virus.

So, you (and others) go to the pub etc and then go on a bus. On that bus is an elderly lady who must go on that public transport-she has no other choice.
If most on the bus are not wearing masks and some are positive, the viral load she has to contend with is far higher than if everyone( who had been to the pub etc) was wearing masks. Their "positive" breath would be hampered by the mask somewhat, and she would have a better chance of not picking it up.
To me it's a no brainier. Why is the inconvenience of all wearing a mask on the bus too onerous to keep her safe?
I agree that as far as that bus journey affects your chances of picking up the virus there masks or no masks makes no difference.
But it's about protecting the less robust people who have no choice but to be there.?

This explains my situation with my parents and in laws.
My mother had her Gall bladder removed on Friday. A one day day case is now into its 4th days stay in hospital. She had a PCR test on Tuesday to make sure she could have the op on Friday. Her thoughts were then to go by bus into town shopping coz she is clear. Suffice to say I tripped out. As she sees it she was clear? so could go shopping, but the fact she could catch COVID was lost on her. FIL has dementia, check the rates of COVID in folk with dementia. They don’t understand it. I do feel we should now relax restrictions significantl, but as I have said before. Wearing a mask on public transport etc. Is it really that big a deal to continue. I don’t think so.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is a very political video and I'm surprised it's been kept on the thread. I would like to comment on it but I'm sure my comments wouldn't be allowed.

I didn't comment on the video I was interested in the stat. So rather than stirring the porridge feel free to add to the debate on how many 'died of' covid - as I had not see this before, hence I posted it

RichA

Visit site
I didn't comment on the video I was interested in the stat. So rather than stirring the porridge feel free to add to the debate on how many 'died of' covid - as I had not see this before, hence I posted it
I don't feel it's particularly political - it just doesn't demonstrate anything, other than using a specifically requested statistic to show that 90% of UK COVID deaths haven't been perfect specimens of health. I could have guessed that - virtually everyone I know has some health issue or other that might be affected by a serious COVID infection and the vast majority of deaths during the peaks were the elderly.

D

Deleted member 16999

I am sure many will hate this, others may not but i just heard a stat given at 6 minutes into the video that GB News asked the ONS how many otherwise healthy people died of covid in England and Wales - and they were told 17,371 and average age 82. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Very good twitter thread here about the 17,371. (As an aside that ONS figure is at Sep 21)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very good twitter thread here about the 17,371. (As an aside that ONS figure is at Sep 21)

Good thread. The absurd assertion by GB News is obviously a steaming pile of equine excrement.

PNW should delete the post, that piece is not an alternative opinion, it is not providing balance, it is knowingly false and deliberate misinformation by GB News.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm rather astonished that there were 17300 folk of average age 82 who did not have some other sort of illness in the first place!
Another example of 'Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics'!

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

If they hadn’t caught Covid would their underlying condition have killed them when it did? We’ve been told time and and time again that Covid is extremely dangerous to those with underlying conditions. Covid triggers the death. It might be a heart attack that kills them but what triggered the heart attack?

The ONS site also has plenty of data on excess deaths. Funnily enough the peaks in excess deaths coincides with the Covid waves, and those peaks are way higher than 17,000. Those waves aren’t attributed to a sudden rise in heart disease, obesity, COPD etc…

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
this time last year I knew only a handful of people who contracted covid.
I now know more people that have had it than not.
At work twelve in my department, I am the last man standing with two going off since last week.

I may have to donate my body to science at some point.

D

Deleted member 15344

Does the thickness of the second line signify anything ?

When my daughter did her test the second line was very faint and thin

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Does the thickness of the second line signify anything ?

When my daughter did her test the second line was very faint and thin
That’s mine and PCR confirmed positive. You need to look at the right angle to see something at all.

Attachments

• E1E02BC5-9983-40C6-A0D6-45153A70A27A.jpeg
    E1E02BC5-9983-40C6-A0D6-45153A70A27A.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 16

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It isn’t a clarification of anything. It is either statistical illiteracy or intentional misinformation. Or both, possibly.
Sorry, very badly worded. Should have posted 'Good debunking of GBN's "stats" corruption' cf 'Good clarification of stats by GBN'.
'Intentional misinformation by GBN' would be my view too, as per my 'Lies, damn lies...'!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You could have just pulled out the stats you wanted to use from a reliable source rather than present it in a video where someone has a political axe to grind. You know that we can't comment on many of the presenters points so think about it before posting.