Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Sounds reasonable but then SA were quickly in with comments that we, as well as others, had been far too hasty and rash in introducing the travel ban as it was not that bad. That seemed unecessary bearing in mind that pretty much every country that has found a new variant has been ostracised so far as travel is concerned (us with the Kent variant, India with Delta) so they must have known that was coming.

Aha, I suspect the S.A. Scientists gave the discovery news.
When the reactions of other countries impacted business etc in S.A., other voices made themselves heard

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stick pins in an effigy of your work colleague and especially around the sensitive bits. If he had carried out a PCR test what was he doing out and about.

Depends why he took the PCR test. My dad took one over the weekend after being invited through some kind of NHS programme (I think) to see how prevalent it is in the community. He didn't have to isolate while waiting for the result.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Depends why he took the PCR test. My dad took one over the weekend after being invited through some kind of NHS programme (I think) to see how prevalent it is in the community. He didn't have to isolate while waiting for the result.

We have a 7yr old, if we had to isolate every time we were told to have a PCR test we'd have not left the house for the last 2 months.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Johnson doing a briefing now to address Omicron variant developments…fills me with dread that it’s heading the wrong way And rebuking Jenny Harries for expressing an opinion on measures not 100% in accordance with current government mandates?

Just home from town and I saw a high level of compliance in shops…

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Whilst I’m minded to agree, surely the data should already be available from the outbreak in South Africa.

Something doesn’t add up here.
The SA demographic is quite different from the UK demographic (it’s much younger) and so it is very difficult to draw conclusions of any great certainty from SA. Well that is what I have been hearing and is my understanding.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The SA demographic is quite different from the UK demographic (it’s much younger) and so it is very difficult to draw conclusions of any great certainty from SA. Well that is what I have been hearing and is my understanding.
Don't old people live long in SA or have they all been killed off already with Covid.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know the answer but to be fair I've heard the same as SilH in terms of demographics and why they can't make quick comparisons.

The most important difference affecting Covid and vaccination response is HIV prevalence, which is around 20% of the population in SA. Immunocompromised people also ideal breeding ground for variants. We really should give them some vaccines right away if we don't want another repeat of this, perhaps a bad one.

Last edited:

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We really should give them some vaccines right away if we don't want another repeat of this, perhaps a bad one.

I've been saying this for a while now, personally I think it's far more important that we use the vaccines in areas like that then giving it to 12-15yr olds etc.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He wasn’t waiting for a result, he said he had received a positive result so should have been self isolating - this is irrespective of symptoms, vaccine status, etc. Personally, I would report him to the police. Selfish people like him risk spoiling it for the rest of us.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been saying this for a while now, personally I think it's far more important that we use the vaccines in areas like that then giving it to 12-15yr olds etc.

It isn't really either/or. The UK has plenty of vaccines. The pace of booster vax is based on public willingness and staff availability.

But the UK has not really been in an outward looking foreign aid kinda mood lately.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Took the train home. The three people sitting around me not masked so got up and moved. Got two stops down the line and three other people got in unmasked and sat near me so an epic fail on SWT. Decided to hop in a cab rather than a bus full of school kids only for the cabbie to not put a mask on and then he wondered why I asked to get out again

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Took the train home. The three people sitting around me not masked so got up and moved. Got two stops down the line and three other people got in unmasked and sat near me so an epic fail on SWT. Decided to hop in a cab rather than a bus full of school kids only for the cabbie to not put a mask on and then he wondered why I asked to get out again

The feckless policy and reckless behaviour of certain [redacted] has really undermined any possibility of good compliance with masks.

D-S

Visit site
Saw 100% compliance with masks in retail today and even everyone in a coffee shop, though officially not required in hospitality.

Also a lot of people wearing masks in the street too - so not everywhere is the same.

RichA

Visit site
He wasn’t waiting for a result, he said he had received a positive result so should have been self isolating - this is irrespective of symptoms, vaccine status, etc. Personally, I would report him to the police. Selfish people like him risk spoiling it for the rest of us.
For what it's worth, that's not an accurate summary of what I said in my posts. My colleague did not breach any of the laws or guidelines.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
"If we want to give ourselves the best chance of a Christmas with our loved ones" - Sajid Javid, about the booster. What a horrible little man. I thought it was typical media sensationalism, it's a direct quote.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Think you might need to re-read the original post before going off on one and saying to report him to the police. The relevant bit of the original post was,

"A work colleague I spent this morning with, including 30 minutes unmasked in a cafe, has just let me know that he did a PCR test yesterday and has just received a positive result.
I've cancelled a visit to my elderly father tomorrow and MiL on Saturday, out of caution."

Rich A spent time with his colleague this morning who had a PCR test yesterday. He then got the result and let Rich know it was positive. When they were together he hadn't yet received the result He was tested as a contact of someone else that had tested positive. If he didn't have symptoms then there was no requirement for him to self isolate.