Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have simple thinking. The virus is transmitted on air droplets? So on the exhaled breath of someone infected? Walking into town today along quiet road I was not wearing a mask and in the very chilly air I could see clearly how far my cloud of exhaled breath was travelling ahead of me (quite a bit - I’m guessing over 1m). As I got into town there were more folk about and so I put on a mask…and no longer could I see my exhaled breaths.

I also noticed that it looked like more folk were practicing social distancing. Stopping and standing aside where pavements narrowed; or walking into the road if safe to do so; and in queue in supermarket back to standing on the 2m marks on the floor.

Also heard comment on illness in SA due to this variant not appearing to be too serious - observation made was to be wary of drawing conclusions from SA as the population is very much younger than UK/Europe, and we know ourselves that younger folk are less seriously impacted. As only 20% of SA pop is double vaccinated a lot of those picking up the new virus are likely to be younger.
I admit this is simplistic but try blowing out the candles on a birthday cake wearing a mask.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
There isn't research on that, so I won't even bite.

Ok, but, do you accept or not that masks to "PM 2.5 filter" standard are proficient enough to prevent the virus particle from passing through it.?
If it does, and most "blue" masks are to that standard, then it stands to reason that there will be less spread amongst those wearing them.
There's no cost to wearing them. Where's the downside?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There isn't research on that, so I won't even bite.
It wasn't posted for you to bite. I assume you would agree that the places where most infections are spread are not where people wear masks but in homes, schools and workplaces. There has been plenty of scientific research to prove that masks significantly reduce the projection of breath and associated particles.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Obviously from last month and earlier, but the Scots policy of wearing masks everywhere doesn't seem to make too much difference. I'd hazard an uneducated guess that social distancing where possible and proper hygiene has a much greater effect.

Two things; most masks I see are comfort/fashion items. And “social distancing” and “proper hygiene” may well have more effect but why not wear a PROPER mask as well. Surely 3 items of protection are better than 2.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Currently suffering from what I hope is man flu ( or react to flu jab last week). Had a PCR test yesterday just in case waiting for result. Praying it is negative as we are off to London to celebrate my 51st birthday with a packed program including Proud Cabaret, London Eye and afternoon tea. 50th last year should have been in Mauritius but ended up with a substantial meal and 2 pints in the local pub so really don’t want another washout of a birthday

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Currently suffering from what I hope is man flu ( or react to flu jab last week). Had a PCR test yesterday just in case waiting for result. Praying it is negative as we are off to London to celebrate my 51st birthday with a packed program including Proud Cabaret, London Eye and afternoon tea. 50th last year should have been in Mauritius but ended up with a substantial meal and 2 pints in the local pub so really don’t want another washout of a birthday

Know that feeling, last year was sat at home for my Birthday in full lockdown. Due down to Brighton a week on Friday for a couple of days, top meal out, gig from one of my favourite bands etc. The more I look at it, the more I think that the best will be covid passports for the gig and maybe the restaurant. Worst case will be be both off. Financially speaking, I really cannot see the hospitality industry being shut down a few weeks before Xmas, I cannot see them bringing back furlough for Xmas (which would be needed for any closures) but that may be the senisble thing to do.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Can only sympathise. HID was 50 in October and I wanted to take her away for a mini break but she was due surgery the week of her birthday, and off the following week to recover so that put the kybosh on it and given where we are now, don't think we're even start looking again until after Easter. At least we managed a nice meal before the op to celebrate a little and the pub were great (we've used it for years and know the owners well) so they us free drinks for the night (think they knew my wife would have one glass of wine with dinner - and I didn't push it and only had two beers)

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
@Ethan Do you know much about Dr Aseem Malhotra? On the face of it he appears to be credible as a Consultant Cardiologist and I heard him on the radio talking about research presently going on that suggests a large increase in the risk of heart issues due to inflammation caused by mRNA vaccines. The reason I ask is that I am double dosed (both AZ) and was happy to do so, in theory I am now due for my Booster which would be one of the mRNA and listening to him on the radio made we think about delaying the booster jab as my present risk from Covid is very low and so I'd rather wait to see if anything does come out from the figures of issues to do with the Pfizer vaccines etc. Again, this isn't a post about anti-vax and I appreciate that if you read the insert in a Paracetamol packet you'd probably never take them either however if I am looking at personal risk which would present the bigger issue?

I suspect that my decision may be made for me if Vaccine Passports are introduced in England as I would then require the vaccine however reading and listening to the information from the doctor above has made then think.

EDIT:

I know this is from GB News however he is saying here what I heard on the radio....

GB News on Twitter: "'They aren't going to publish their findings, they are concerned about losing research money' Dr Aseem Malhotra reveals a cardiology researcher found similar results to a new report showing an increase in risk of heart attack following the mRNA COVID vaccine. https://t.co/63evorQwlJ" / Twitter

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Ethan Do you know much about Dr Aseem Malhotra? On the face of it he appears to be credible as a Consultant Cardiologist and I heard him on the radio talking about research presently going on that suggests a large increase in the risk of heart issues due to inflammation caused by mRNA vaccines. The reason I ask is that I am double dosed (both AZ) and was happy to do so, in theory I am now due for my Booster which would be one of the mRNA and listening to him on the radio made we think about delaying the booster jab as my present risk from Covid is very low and so I'd rather wait to see if anything does come out from the figures of issues to do with the Pfizer vaccines etc. Again, this isn't a post about anti-vax and I appreciate that if you read the insert in a Paracetamol packet you'd probably never take them either however if I am looking at personal risk which would present the bigger issue?

I suspect that my decision may be made for me if Vaccine Passports are introduced in England as I would then require the vaccine however reading and listening to the information from the doctor above has made then think.

EDIT:

I know this is from GB News however he is saying here what I heard on the radio....

GB News on Twitter: "'They aren't going to publish their findings, they are concerned about losing research money' Dr Aseem Malhotra reveals a cardiology researcher found similar results to a new report showing an increase in risk of heart attack following the mRNA COVID vaccine. https://t.co/63evorQwlJ" / Twitter

For a start, myocarditis is not a heart attack, which generally means myocardial infarction. I had myocarditis about 10 years, as it happens.

I know all about Aseem Malhotra. Let us just say he is a controversial figure in medicine and expresses views on a wide range of subjects with which many disagree. He is a massive self-promoter too.

The myocarditis risk has been seized on as an objection, but data and evidence provide reassurance. Some initial studies on myocarditis showed a much larger incidence and since have been retracted or corrected. The myocarditis from the vaccine, caused by the immune system being stimulated, is different in nature to "wild-type" such as I had, and is much milder.

The highest risk group is young men and adolescents. I was happy for my two boys, aged 12 and 14 to get Pfizer vax. The risk to older people is much lower and very much lower than the risk of Covid. I don't know your medical history but unless you have an allergy to a specific component of the Pfizer vax, I would recommend getting it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there much to be read into the reports that all of the cases of Omicron have been asymptomatic or with mild symptons. Is this rhetoric to stop panic or is it possible that, whilst easier to spread, this may actually be a weaker strain so far as symptoms are concerned. I know it is early days yet.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I've heard we should know in 2-3 weeks which means we should get a better idea by next week.
One thing you can be sure of is every available expert will be studying the data 24-7 and we'll know as soon as they do.