Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think they will use it as an excuse yes although I don’t blame them, it’s a good opportunity.

In terms of the new variant, it was found within vaccinated people in SA so doesn’t that suggest that we’re going to continually get these mutations?

This omicron variant isn’t going to be the last one, obviously. But we already knew that double vaxxed people can get infected. We also know that, in general, they will have a better clinical outcome. We further know that there is a significant community prevalence of HIV in SA, which will affect response to vaccination and represents the ideal breeding ground for new variants.

So you can’t draw broad conclusions based on this. All we can do is respond swiftly to it. In my opinion, we should not have made masks voluntary in shops. Reinstating masks and travel restriction are essential steps.

Last edited:

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This omicron variant isn’t going to be the last one, obviously. But we already knew that double vaxxed people can get infected. We also know that, in general, they will have a better clinical outcome. We further know that there is a significant community prevalence of HIV in SA, which will affect response to vaccination and represents the ideal breeding ground for new variants.

So you can’t draw broad conclusions based on this. All we can do is respond swiftly to it. In my opinion, we should not have made masks voluntary in shops. Reinstating masks and travel restriction are essential steps.

Apologies if this has been answered before but what studies are there showing wearing of masks actually rescue transmission ?

I fail to see how the wafer thin paper surgical masks actually stop a virus ?
Is it just a sort of placebo affect where if someone is wearing a mask/ facecovering you tend to distance yourself more from them ?

I'd be interested if there are any links you can point me towards.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Apologies if this has been answered before but what studies are there showing wearing of masks actually rescue transmission ?

I fail to see how the wafer thin paper surgical masks actually stop a virus ?
Is it just a sort of placebo affect where if someone is wearing a mask/ facecovering you tend to distance yourself more from them ?

I'd be interested if there are any links you can point me towards.

Yes there are studies, and yes they’ve been posted up(links) earlier in the thread. Short version; the size of the virus is x and the holes in the mask are smaller - all the detail is in the links that were posted up. They’re not 100% impenetrable but they’re not far off. Think viral load; some might get through but, potentially, not enough to overload you. Same for what’s breathed out.

The surgical masks aren’t great, and don’t last long, but the FFP3 masks are excellent and are readily available.

If you do an “advanced search’ in the thread under what I’ve posted up you’ll find the links.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Members who post conspiracy theories are likely to be sanctioned

Please be aware and post accordingly

Genuine question

Why?

I don’t personally believe in this particular story or motive etc however there does seem to be a real trend over the last few years of banning perceived ‘conspiracy theories’

Genuinely. How do you determine what constitutes the ‘truth’ or what constitutes ‘conspiracy’?

The predominant force between truth and conspiracy is largely based on opinion.

Every argument for and against will be a legitimate collection of perfectly reasoned arguments, theories, facts, rumours and data.

Who decides what’s true or not? Or are you basing this on your own personally held opinion?

Also (and i type this respectfully) what gives you the right to overrule on opposite opinion?

Worse still, what gives you the right to purge another persons beliefs from existence by deleting posts?

That’s quite scary in my opinion.

Surely the responsible approach would be to allow those you believe are making stuff up, to post freely

Then to have others (whose opinions you align too) show why exactly they are taking out of their bottoms, through a reasoned, impassioned and detailed counter argument?

Would that not be more effective?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Tightening up of mask wearing in retail and public transport. When pushed I think that was said to be made mandatory again - certainly hope so. I can be even more irked at the muppets in Lidl this week if so!

So what if it is; it is roundly ignored down here and is mandatory on TfL services. No good mandating it if there is no enforcement.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Genuine question

Why?

I don’t personally believe in this particular story or motive etc however there does seem to be a real trend over the last few years of banning perceived ‘conspiracy theories’

Genuinely. How do you determine what constitutes the ‘truth’ or what constitutes ‘conspiracy’?

Every argument for and against will be a legitimate collection of perfectly reasoned arguments, theories, facts, rumours and data.

Who decides what’s true or not? Or are you basing this on your own personally held opinion?

Also (and i type this respectfully) what gives you the right to overrule on opposite opinion?

Worse still, what gives you the right to purge another persons beliefs from existence by deleting posts?

Surely the responsible approach would be to allow those you believe are making stuff up, to post freely

Then to have others (whose opinions you align too) show why exactly they are taking out of their bottoms, through a reasoned, impassioned and detailed counter argument?

I'd suggest to protect the brand & reputation. There are plenty of places on the net for the tin foil hat brigade to post their theories, allowing them to post here may be deemed at tarnishing the brand or unduly influencing opinion on what is a very serious matter.

Basically it's GM's football so it's their rules.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just suggesting that's possibly the reason.

RichA

Visit site

You realise that this is just an internet forum hosted by the website of a golf magazine?
I don't think the moderators are capable of purging your beliefs from existence - just from their internet forum, hosted by the website of a golf magazine.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You realise that this is just an internet forum hosted by the website of a golf magazine?
I don't think the moderators are capable of purging your beliefs from existence - just from their internet forum, hosted by the website of a golf magazine.

I made it clear that these are not my beliefs.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Virus is transmitted by one person breathing in the exhaled air of an infected person. The infected person most likely does not know that they are infected.
For this reason I have not ceased in the wearing of a mask in shops all this year.
The government rules and restrictions have changed. Some people's behaviour has changed.
The virus hasn't changed its rules or behaviour, as far as I know.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
All new variants will eventually make it onto our shores, nothing you can do to stop it. Putting the African countries on the red list will buy us a little time for more research to have been done on the variant however, as mentioned, there's probably a fair chance that it's here already.

Apparently it is, two cases already confirmed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59445124

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think there's a big difference between stating an opinion and promoting a conspiracy theory.

I’m not sure.

They are both just opinions based on a both persons knowledge of a subject, plus a healthy dose of bias (on both sides).

Also. There are differing degrees of this stuff.

Those who think covid is spread via 5g / vaccinations have chips in / the lizard people did it!

Is a looooong way away from stating the government may use this new (and very real) variant as a way to increase vaccinations levels through some good old fashioned scare mongering.

Vaccinations are the way out of this so if they did seek to gain some opportunity from this new crisis, is that really the same as believing the earth is flat?

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Genuine question

Why?

As others have said, GM have a corporate image to protect, it is nothing to do with my personal views.

We are a golf forum, first and foremost,

Conspiracy theories can spread false information, which some people will read and believe.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I’m not sure.

They are both just opinions based on a both persons knowledge of a subject, plus a healthy dose of bias (on both sides).

Opinion...
''a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.''

Conspiracy theory...
''a theory that rejects the standard explanation for an event and instead credits a covert group or organization with carrying out a secret plot''

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As others have said, GM have a corporate image to protect, it is nothing to do with my personal views.

We are a golf forum, first and foremost,

Conspiracy theories can spread false information, which some people will read and believe.

Which is all fair enough. I’m just playing devils advocate and trying To be reasoned.

I’d hate to see any debate destroyed if even a hint of descent is detected

And now

I’m out ??