Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…and so as the daily numbers of infections grows and is now hitting over 40,000 (multiples greater than most if not all comparable nations), we find it getting very close to home…again…as the two children of one very close friend are positive, plus another close couple are both isolating with infection suspected…pending PCR test results.

And yesterday evening I went to a golf club post-comp evening meal/presentation - and there we were, the sixty of us mainly 55 to 80 yr olds - crowding together and not one of us wearing a mask. TBH I felt a bit uncomfortable.

Simply…concerning.

Last edited:

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
…and so as the daily numbers of infections grows and is now hitting over 40,000 (multiples greater than most if not all comparable nations), we find it getting very close to home…again…as the two children of one very close friend are positive, plus another close couple are both isolating with infection suspected…pending PCR test results.

And yesterday evening I went to a golf club post-comp evening meal/presentation - and there we were, the sixty of us mainly 55 to 80 yr olds - crowding together and not one of us wearing a mask. TBH I felt a bit uncomfortable.

Simply…concerning.

You would have known your domestic situation and dinner's arrangement prior to booking yet you still went

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Ok- news reports re the false PCR results are a little relevant to me, possibly.
Last Thursday, sore throat. Friday saw that go away but runny nose which increased mucous wise, coughing a bit, felt a bit iffy so on Saturday did a lateral flow test. Negative.
But iffier. Sunday, so did a PCR test. Came back Monday as negative. People were saying there was a nasty cold going around.
Still have got much mucous in nose. Seems to have gone on to chest a bit so coughing up stuff in evenings. Breathing is ok. Can still fully breath in allright.

So, are they now going to tell us which laboratory is processing samples from which testing site. If samples from Newbury are going as far as Wolverhampton, people need to know which testing site is sending stuff to which laboratory .
If only one laboratory is affected ,( as they say) then such info could be very reassuring.
Does anyone ( Ethan??) know if one can ascertain which laboratory tested which testing station samples?

D-S

Visit site
Ok- news reports re the false PCR results are a little relevant to me, possibly.
Last Thursday, sore throat. Friday saw that go away but runny nose which increased mucous wise, coughing a bit, felt a bit iffy so on Saturday did a lateral flow test. Negative.
But iffier. Sunday, so did a PCR test. Came back Monday as negative. People were saying there was a nasty cold going around.
Still have got much mucous in nose. Seems to have gone on to chest a bit so coughing up stuff in evenings. Breathing is ok. Can still fully breath in allright.

So, are they now going to tell us which laboratory is processing samples from which testing site. If samples from Newbury are going as far as Wolverhampton, people need to know which testing site is sending stuff to which laboratory .
If only one laboratory is affected ,( as they say) then such info could be very reassuring.
Does anyone ( Ethan??) know if one can ascertain which laboratory tested which testing station samples?
Apparently all those who may have been effected will be contacted by Test and Trace.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Simply…concerning.
So if you were so concerned, why wouldn't you wear a mask yourself, regardless of what everyone else is doing?

D-S

Visit site

Simply…concerning.
Would you have felt comfortable if someone else had ruled that you had to wear a mask as opposed to being able to make that choice yourself? (or even the choice to attend a large indoor gathering?) Are you concerned about the lack of rules or that you have choice and chose not to exercise it?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Friends of ours caught it a week or two ago. Their son was first, university student so not out of the ordinary as students go back, they got it shortly after. He is 21, they are early and mid 50's, all double jabbed. 2 of them said it was like a light cold, the third like a chesty cold. All 3 were fine in 2-5 days.

The above made me feel fairly relaxed, perhaps why at this stage things are less stressful than a year ago. The vaccine seems to be doing its job and whilst infection rates are high the knock on effect doesn't seem as bad.

The above can change but so far it is going as people suggested.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Got my booster invite today. Going early next week.

Taking the 3rd closest centre offered to me. The nearest would involve a swim through the Thames to get to their miles estimate. They use the same free tools I used at work ;-)

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got my booster invite today. Going early next week.

Taking the 3rd closest centre offered to me. The nearest would involve a swim through the Thames to get to their miles estimate. They use the same free tools I used at work ;-)

Dad just got his threw. Ironically he was double jabbed 1 day after me and I haven't had invite yet

But their up to 17th April for double jabs on walk ins so once hits 21st I can go get my booster

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Apparently all those who may have been effected will be contacted by Test and Trace.

Hmmm....
And the way I read it - might be wrong- but that may be only those that they think might be infectious still. T'would be not too difficult to publish what testing sites use what laboratories.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Dad just got his threw. Ironically he was double jabbed 1 day after me and I haven't had invite yet

But their up to 17th April for double jabs on walk ins so once hits 21st I can go get my booster
I think it’s going by ages rather than 2nd vaccination date. Is you dad older than you? ;-)

My invite mentioned increased risk of complications, that’s why I get in early.

As you are at increased risk of complications from COVID-19, you are a priority to receive your COVID-19 booster vaccine.

Prep existing conditions.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Booster vaccine doses will be available on the NHS for people most at risk from COVID-19 who have had a 2nd dose of a vaccine at least 6 months ago.
This includes:
  • people aged 50 and over
  • people who live and work in care homes
  • frontline health and social care workers
  • people aged 16 and over with a health condition that puts them at high risk of getting seriously ill from COVID-19
  • people aged 16 and over who are a main carer for someone at high risk from COVID-19
  • people aged 16 and over who live with someone who is more likely to get infections (such as someone who has HIV, has had a transplant or is having certain treatments for cancer, lupus or rheumatoid arthritis)
If you are eligible it will let you book online.

Mines booked for Sunday.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it’s going by ages rather than 2nd vaccination date. Is you dad older than you? ;-)

My invite mentioned increased risk of complications, that’s why I get in early.

As you are at increased risk of complications from COVID-19, you are a priority to receive your COVID-19 booster vaccine.

Prep existing conditions.

I got mine due to underlying conditions a day before him each time

His isn't his age it's his heart

Our borough do drop ins for those vaccinated by a certain date .. we up to 17th April ATM I'm just 4 days off then I can head for mine

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Would you have felt comfortable if someone else had ruled that you had to wear a mask as opposed to being able to make that choice yourself? (or even the choice to attend a large indoor gathering?) Are you concerned about the lack of rules or that you have choice and chose not to exercise it?
Again…that is not the point. The point is that in a group of that age range not one of us was wearing a mask…though the staff were…whilst in many other indoor contexts the majority would have been. As others have confirmed my golf club is not alone in this. And i am not sure what makes us feel ‘less vulnerable’ in a clubhouse than in, say, a supermarket.

As it happens, yes, I would have been quite happy to wear a mask if requested, as I am on many church premises, and as is still the case (or so I believe) in all indoor contexts in Scotland.

D-S

Visit site
Again…that is not the point. The point is that in a group of that age range not one of us was wearing a mask…though the staff were…whilst in many other indoor contexts the majority would have been. As others have confirmed my golf club is not alone in this. And i am not sure what makes us feel ‘less vulnerable’ in a clubhouse than in, say, a supermarket.

As it happens, yes, I would have been quite happy to wear a mask if requested, as I am on many church premises, and as is still the case (or so I believe) in all indoor contexts in Scotland.
It is exactly the point. You chose not to wear a mask and attend a large function yet are concerned about people not wearing masks and attending large functions. If the only thing that stops you doing things that you believe are potentially harmful to you and your family is direct intervention by the State, then you have a problem of your own making.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That is not the point…

I'm afraid it is.

Until recently eating out involved venues/places using social distancing measures and only permitted removing masks while eating.

COVID is still infecting people and you express your concerns for you family members yet even with that knowledge you ignore prudence and then whinge - strange logic.