Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wife and boy both had positive LF results yesterday. Me and the daughter were negative.

The infected have cold like symptoms, but are otherwise ok.

The next 10 days are going to be a pain juggling work, school runs and football.

See what a PCR test says? All of you

Lft don't seem worth the plastic their made from

Guy at work got postive lft and then tested negative on a PCR

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
See what a PCR test says? All of you

Lft don't seem worth the plastic their made from

Guy at work got postive lft and then tested negative on a PCR

That's quite unusual. Normally if you get a positive LFT then the PCR test will confirm it. I think it's 98%+ that a positive LFT will be followed with a positive PCR. A negative LFT is a lot less definite that you don't have it and is much more often followed by a positive PCR test.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's quite unusual. Normally if you get a positive LFT then the PCR test will confirm it. I think it's 98%+ that a positive LFT will be followed with a positive PCR. A negative LFT is a lot less definite that you don't have it and is much more often followed by a positive PCR test.

Seen a few people post doing 10 tests in a row all with various results on the same day

Plus can fake a postive with a bit of lemon juice was it?

It's better to be safe and just get a PCR and see what's actually going on

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seen a few people post doing 10 tests in a row all with various results on the same day

Plus can fake a postive with a bit of lemon juice was it?

It's better to be safe and just get a PCR and see what's actually going on

Plus "user error" meaning that LFT tests won't ever be as accurate as they could be. Not swabbing the correct area for long enough, not putting the swab far enough up the nose or not leaving it in the liquid for long enough before doing the test. All of these things can lead to a false negative.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Getting concerned that, even in previously well-abiding Surrey-Hants borders and even in the local Waitrose, the level of mask wearing seems to be falling off the cliff, just as we read of infections increasing across the country and we hear that the 17yr old son of close friends is quite poorly with covid.
I'd agree with this. I'm still wearing one when going to the shops, but I'm definetely in the minority now. Also the amout of people wearing them on the coaches is going right down, despite the safety message we play clearly asking people to wear them, although interestingly on th heathrow pick ups most people still wear one, I guess as thet've just come off a plane where they've been told they must.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My experience has varied from place to place. Local supermarkets are about 70:30 in favour of mask wearing but I was draged to Ikea yesterday and I would say less than 10% were wearing masks.

What does not help, I suspect, is that the media has all but stopped reporting covid news, be it good or bad, and it has pretty much disappeared of social media. Without those reminders, it is easier to get complacent.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Having discussed the issue of mask wearing at length with those who sit both sides of the argument, I can see why some are now erring on the side of not wearing them.

A comment I often hear is that masks are not designed to protect the wearer, but others. If those others can’t be bothered to wear masks, then there seems little point in anyone continuing to wear them.

And I have to admit now that, if I enter a room or public place where there is minimal mask wearing then, whilst I have used one since the beginning of the pandemic, I am becoming less inclined to continue with it everywhere.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Having discussed the issue of mask wearing at length with those who sit both sides of the argument, I can see why some are now erring on the side of not wearing them.

A comment I often hear is that masks are not designed to protect the wearer, but others. If those others can’t be bothered to wear masks, then there seems little point in anyone continuing to wear them.

And I have to admit now that, if I enter a room or public place where there is minimal mask wearing then, whilst I have used one since the beginning of the pandemic, I am becoming less inclined to continue with it everywhere.
Not sure why you are ‘erring’ on one side or the other. For a wearer there is no downside to wearing a mask, at least that I am aware of, while we know that there is an ‘upside’ for others. That some choose to not wear a mask indoors does not cancel out the upside that my wearing one offers.

I continue to wear a mask in most indoor settings (except when seated) though I have to ask myself why I did not wear a mask indoors last week on the meets - indeed it was noticeable that none of us did. I guess I did not want to be the only one wearing one…

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Not sure why you are ‘erring’ on one side or the other. For a wearer there is no downside to wearing a mask, at least that I am aware of, while we know that there is an ‘upside’ for others. That some choose to not wear a mask indoors does not cancel out the upside that my wearing one offers.

I continue to wear a mask in most indoor settings (except when seated) though I have to ask myself why I did not wear a mask indoors last week on the meets - indeed it was noticeable that none of us did. I guess I did not want to be the only one wearing one…

It's noticeable that golf clubhouses are Covid free zones and the need to wear a mask or take any precaution is unnecessary. I think that we're almost all guilty of this, I wear a mask when shopping, which is about the only other time I go in densely peopled places, but not in the clubhouse, strange.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Not sure why you are ‘erring’ on one side or the other.

You might want to read my post again, which very clearly refers to why SOME are erring on the side of not wearing masks. I wasn’t specifically referring to me.

I also went on to say that I have continued to wear a mask throughout the pandemic, but am now less inclined to do so in areas where the use of face coverings is negligible. Let’s be honest, if I’m in a room of 100 people and the other 99 are mask free, I will genuinely feel less of an urge to mask up - there are 99 people there who couldn’t give a toss about themselves or anyone else.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You might want to read my post again, which very clearly refers to why SOME are erring on the side of not wearing masks. I wasn’t specifically referring to me.

I also went on to say that I have continued to wear a mask throughout the pandemic, but am now less inclined to do so in areas where the use of face coverings is negligible. Let’s be honest, if I’m in a room of 100 people and the other 99 are mask free, I will genuinely feel less of an urge to mask up - there are 99 people there who couldn’t give a toss about themselves or anyone else.
Sorry … my comment was simply on the use of the word ‘erring’ as that implies that there are risks both sides of a decision…as far as I am aware there are no risks to me associated with my wearing a mask. But maybe I’m just being incorrectly pedantic as by wearing a mask I am indeed erring on the side of caution. So perhaps i should retract my observation as it may have been made in error…?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Yes, Billy, your middle paragraph meaning confused me for quite a while during this pandemic.
There we were ,being told that the mask you wore did not really protect you, but it did others. That could only have meant that the mask prevented droplets from you travelling to others , but aerosol breath could still get to you through the mask.
On that basis, I concluded that masks did little in confined indoor areas if you were all breathing the same air for some considerable time.

Others said they did protect the wearer , and after literature alleged that masks of a certain standard - "PM 2.5 preventable"- did offer protection to the wearer, then I changed my mind ( trusting the info to be correct).

I wear a mask in places where public go. I don't eat in restaurants etc.
Used to drink al fresco at golf club. Now I have a pint indoors not too near others, near open door etc etc.
Others think I'm too cautious, and I agree most are behaving in the clubhouse as if Covid has disappeared.
But, to date, the mask is still "one of my closest friends"?
(

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I still wear my mask in public indoor places for shopping.

When I do the school run in our lift share everyone in the car wears a mask.

Not been to the Cinema yet, but will probably wear a mask. Not going to pubs and restaurants.

Only place I am fairly relaxed about going to is the golf club, which has much more limited clientele than a pub or restaurant, so I perceive it to have less of a risk.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Don't know how many of you have had the booster jab yet, but had mine Thursday- Sore throat Friday, runny nose Saturday ( lat flow test neg.)
A cold proper Sunday ( pcr test - neg.) Humdinger cold Monday, bit better today.
So, either the after effects of booster, or coincidentally caught a bad cold apparently doing the rounds in this neck of the woods .
I didn't have any effects after first two jabs.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't know how many of you have had the booster jab yet, but had mine Thursday- Sore throat Friday, runny nose Saturday ( lat flow test neg.)
A cold proper Sunday ( pcr test - neg.) Humdinger cold Monday, bit better today.
So, either the after effects of booster, or coincidentally caught a bad cold apparently doing the rounds in this neck of the woods .
I didn't have any effects after first two jabs.
Different Vaccine? I think most of us got AstraZeneca first two jags, but it’ll be Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech for the third.

RichA

Visit site
Yes, Billy, your middle paragraph meaning confused me for quite a while during this pandemic.
There we were ,being told that the mask you wore did not really protect you, but it did others. That could only have meant that the mask prevented droplets from you travelling to others , but aerosol breath could still get to you through the mask.
On that basis, I concluded that masks did little in confined indoor areas if you were all breathing the same air for some considerable time.

Others said they did protect the wearer , and after literature alleged that masks of a certain standard - "PM 2.5 preventable"- did offer protection to the wearer, then I changed my mind ( trusting the info to be correct).

I wear a mask in places where public go. I don't eat in restaurants etc.
Used to drink al fresco at golf club. Now I have a pint indoors not too near others, near open door etc etc.
Others think I'm too cautious, and I agree most are behaving in the clubhouse as if Covid has disappeared.
But, to date, the mask is still "one of my closest friends"?
(
Similar with me.
I'm one of the 50% still wearing a cloth mask in Tesco.
My daily commute on the train, I wear a mask with a 2.5+ carbon filter. While masks are discretionary, about 50% are wearing them. Passenger numbers are still way below 2019 levels, but increasing as flights from Stansted increase.
Once I'm on the Victoria Line, where mask wearing is mandatory, compliance goes down to about 25% at best and passenger numbers are pretty much back to pre-covid levels.
To highlight my own inconsistency, at work we aren't mask wearing in the busy, poorly ventilated office or if we go out in a vehicle. I often forget when I pop into the clubhouse to buy drinks, although almost everybody at the club still seems more comfortable having their post-golf eats and drinks on the veranda or in the giant gazebo.
My desire to spend time in pubs, restaurants, cinemas and sports stadia was waning before the pandemic. It's now nil.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes(and No?).
First two were pFizer.
This one was Comirnaty vaccine, made by PFizer , so apparently the same!

As said above, Pfizer and Moderna will be the vax. It is interesting that JCVI specifically said that AZ would not be part off the booster programme. Clinical evidence so far is that 2 Pfizer or Moderna gives better coverage than 2 AZ, although that it is still good, and previous AZ recipients have the most to gain from a booster, especially if Pfizer or Moderna. In an ideal world, previous Pfizer recipients would get Moderna booster, and the other way round. I got Pfizer so if I have a choice I will take Moderna booster. Sort of like immune system cross-training.