Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
As the most recent data on hospitalisations we have is Aug 28, I couldn't give an accurate figure for the last 7 days so I highlighted the FACT that the last 3 days of data we have for hospitalisations the numbers have fallen* from 1020, 949, 916 and 842 and not risen as SR wrote

I guess my glass is half full.

*https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare
Thanks for clarifying on hospitalisations Bob.
I do generally welcome your typical "look at the positives" approach ?

I was really just highlighting that the 'mainstream media' aren't always as diligent as yourself.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I guess I just don't understand why people feel the need to be the first to spread bad news even when the information is wrong and as SR is now back on my ignore list, I guess I'll never know.
Suffice to say there are those who have mental issues/depression/loved ones who passed away to Covid and the last thing they need is more bad news, especially when it's wrong.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I guess I just don't understand why people feel the need to be the first to spread bad news even when the information is wrong and as SR is now back on my ignore list, I guess I'll never know.
Suffice to say there are those who have mental issues/depression/loved ones who passed away to Covid and the last thing they need is more bad news, especially when it's wrong.
Don't tell me, tell the BBC, all I did was show and comment on their report. If you put me on ignore due to my post then quite honestly I don't give a fig.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Nipped into the Metro Centre yesterday after work for some bits and bobs, I'd estimate a maximum of 1% of the people had masks on, mainly young families with kids. Felt a bit of an outcast with my mask on ?

Spoke to number 2 daughter yesterday. She works in a school and has had the usual 6 weeks, bar the odd day, off. She’s done a round U.K. trip, visiting various relatives/siblings.

Short version; mask uptake down south = very good. Oop north = appalling.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Was he the first to spread the news or the first to share it on here? Do you only want good news, or do you want all the news? Would you make a decision on good news only or would you seek a balanced view?

Sticking your head in the sand won’t make the (bad) news go away.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spoke to number 2 daughter yesterday. She works in a school and has had the usual 6 weeks, bar the odd day, off. She’s done a round U.K. trip, visiting various relatives/siblings.

Short version; mask uptake down south = very good. Oop north = appalling.

Guess it doesn't take a massive leap in deductive reasoning to assume that the areas that have been the covid hotspots throughout the pandemic are likely those with minimal mask wearing now.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was he the first to spread the news or the first to share it on here? Do you only want good news, or do you want all the news? Would you make a decision on good news only or would you seek a balanced view?

Sticking your head in the sand won’t make the (bad) news go away.

I think (and forgive me if I'm wrong) the point that Bobmac was making was that the daily figures on their own are pointless whether that be them being well up or well down. You have to take them in context with previous figures over a longer period of time. Whilst those figures look high they're actually down on the same period as last week so you could look at the numbers as good news in that context. Personally I do their that whilst the figures are high they're considerably lower than even the most 'positive' of models being wheeled out when 'Freedom Day' arrived so that's a good thing and we're no where near the 50,000, 100,000 or even 200,000 cases per day that was predicted.

Obviously figures are likely to increase over the coming months as schools are back and autumn arrives and we seem to be at a point where the vaccination numbers have almost topped out unless they lower the age of vaccination down to the 12-17 level, I don't think we're going to get many more first jabs done with the existing groups as most who want it have already come forward for it so the only way of getting a larger % of the population vaccinated.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I thought a "Forum " was an arena for members to freely express their views on what, in their opinion, matters.

SR posted what he thought was relevant info from the public domain. Bobmac responded with an alternative info.

Why do we need to get worked up over a debate?

D-S

Visit site
Nice to see the proportion of single jabbed over 16 year olds closing in on 90% with the double jabbed nearly 80% and closing fast. At current rates we should be 90% of 16+ by the middle of next month.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Great news today, deaths down by 14% from yesterday and whilst an increase in cases the numbers in hospital dropsBBC Covid 0209.jpg. A good news day!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It is strange that deaths drop and it is better news. Which it is. But a good pal died yesterday of Covid. Always bitter sweet.
I remember earlier this year we only had one death In Mansfield one particular day. It was excellent news for Mansfield . Only that one person was my best mans Father.
Don’t let yer guard down chaps and chapettes

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
To switch tack a little, does anyone have insights into the situation in Poland or Belgium? (real or guesswork ?)

Both had a really tough time in broadly the November to May timeframe, but both seem to be doing well of late.

Belgium did put a spurt on with vaccinations and I think maybe just ahead if UK now. Poland a bit back.

Anything the UK can learn from them? Is there just less delta going around?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Headline yesterday; Spain leads the EU in percentage of population double vaccinated @ over 70%.

I got my second jab last Monday. Drive to the local show ground. 3 lines of traffic heading towards a large drive-thru tent. Wind the window down, hand over the invite, get jabbed and drive off.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
JCVI have announced that the vaccines should not be given to healthy children aged 12-15yrs, only those with an underlying health condition.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There was some discussion about the vacc’d vs unvacc’d and the numbers, PHE have released some data which is for the seven days up to 29th August.

9,472 people were admitted to hospital with Covid during that 7 day period.

5,098 were below the age of 50 and 4,374 were aged 50 or over.

Of the 5,098 under-50s……

3,742 (73%) were unvaccinated,

724 (14%) had received one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine,

521 (10%) had received both doses.

Among the 4,374 aged 50 or over……

1,322 (30%) were unvaccinated,

372 (9%) had received one dose of vaccine,

2,651 (61%) had been given their second jab.

In the same time period, a total of 1,798 people who were either confirmed or likely to have had the Delta COVID-19 variant died. Of those deaths, 154 were under the age of 50 and 1,644 were aged 50 or over.

Among the 154 deaths of people under 50……

99 (64%) were unvaccinated,

14 (9%) had received one dose of vaccine,

37 (24%) had received both doses.

And of the 1,644 deaths of people aged 50 or over…..

437 (27%) were unvaccinated,

128 (8%) had received one dose of vaccine,

1,054 (64%) had received both doses.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Take the last group (and delete one vax cases for simplicity):

Of the 1,644 deaths of people aged 50 or over…..

437 (27%) were unvaccinated,

1,054 (64%) had received both doses.

So, approximately 93% of people over age 50 have been double vaccinated. Therefore, 27% of deaths arise in the unvaccinated 7% of the population, and 64% cases in the vaccinated 93%.

So the relative benefit of vaccination is (27/7)/(64/93) = 5.6, so the risk of death is 5.6 times greater for unvaccinated comapred to vaccinated.