Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D

Deleted member 15344

And if a large number refuse the vaccine, keeping new cases and hospitalisations up, then what, keep waiting?

As my post said “all have been offered a vaccine”

But if people are still dying and the country still has issues with the virus then yes some levels of restrictions should stay in place

I don’t know what it is people want to do that they can’t right now but surely it’s not that important in the grand scheme of life

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As my post said “all have been offered a vaccine”

But if people are still dying and the country still has issues with the virus then yes some levels of restrictions should stay in place

I don’t know what it is people want to do that they can’t right now but surely it’s not that important in the grand scheme of life

But the vast majority of those in hospital have been offered the vaccine….and declined it.

I was also under the impression that this was about protecting the NHS and the vulnerable not waiting until we’ve vaccinated an entire nation especially as we’re now done to the ages that made up a fraction of the hospitalisations in the first place.

D

Deleted member 15344

But the vast majority of those in hospital have been offered the vaccine….and declined it.

I was also under the impression that this was about protecting the NHS and the vulnerable not waiting until we’ve vaccinated an entire nation especially as we’re now done to the ages that made up a fraction of the hospitalisations in the first place.

So what is it exactly you are so desperate to do that you can’t do now - if restrictions are continued for longer how is your life affected that drastically

Can you tell us how many people have died after having the vaccine?

Does it matter ? People are still dying from it , the virus is still dramatically affecting peoples life’s right now

Same question - what is it you want to do that you can’t now ?

MGFore

Visit site
So what is it exactly you are so desperate to do that you can’t do now - if restrictions are continued for longer how is your life affected that drastically

Does it matter ? People are still dying from it , the virus is still dramatically affecting peoples life’s right now

Same question - what is it you want to do that you can’t now ?

That's one of the things I have seen most 'well we are back to normal'

Reduced capacity pubs, restaurants, cafes etc.
Masking mandate
track and trace
Nightclubs still shut
Theatres still shut
Social distancing
No freedoms to travel abroad
Furlough and government handouts keeping people afloat. Just

We are far from 'normal' But those who are happy to sit WFH whilst still enjoying their deliveroo's and their amazon orders flooding in are the ones who think life is still normal.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s far too late to tell people that. Media driven irrational fear and thinking has taken over.

All it’s ever been is big emotive words on pedestals surrounded by chevrons, graphs with big red lines, catchy slogans, haunting adverts with people staring and big numbers shown negatively.
No positives like recoveries, numbers with no context with death numbers like age and obesity, did they have underlying conditions? Where was the virus contracted? In the community or care setting?

The mental recovery from this will take a long long time. Psychologically damaged.
Is the death of the old and obese a more acceptable death? How many other death demographics would be more acceptable?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Is the death of the old and obese a more acceptable death?
No, but if its a considerable factor it should be highlighted. How many obese people have done anything about it to lower their risk?

Look at the typical wearer of sunflower lanyards, and people not wearing masks. The one's I have seen have been mostly obese and middle aged/older people.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No, but if its a considerable factor it should be highlighted. How many obese people have done anything about it to lower their risk?

Look at the typical wearer of sunflower lanyards, and people not wearing masks. The one's I have seen have been mostly obese and middle aged/older people.
I have seem all kinds of people not wearing masks. How much detail do you want regarding deaths and is it's necessity so people can gloat at their deaths.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I have seem all kinds of people not wearing masks. How much detail do you want regarding deaths and is it's necessity so people can gloat at their deaths.

Who is gloating. If being obese is a significant contributory factor in hospitalisation or death from covid, it should be highlighted. If it hurts someone's feelings then so be it.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Many of the young people getting the virus are innocent victims of other idiots. It's reported locally that about 60 kids tested positive as the result of one family returning from India not following the guidance. The same community have been among the lowest jab takeup sectors.

Have you any data to support that assertion, although you have not named a specific ethnic group.

This report notes that as of early June, vax rates in those who identify as Hindu was 92%, compared to 93.2% of those who identify as Christian. Around 80% of Indians self identify as Hindu. Not a big difference, I am sure you will agree.

There have been outbreaks after white British people have returned for abroad too.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very slippery slope here.

I wonder if the more elderly demographic would feel the same if they were required to have a vaccine for a virus that adversely affected younger generations, or face being excluded from parts of society?

I very much doubt it.

The ethics of each situation varies, according to the personal risk, but also consequences for others. As a general rule, you should have greater liberty to do something stupid and harmful to yourself than to others.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's one of the things I have seen most 'well we are back to normal'

Reduced capacity pubs, restaurants, cafes etc.
Masking mandate
track and trace

Nightclubs still shut
Theatres still shut
Social distancing
No freedoms to travel abroad
Furlough and government handouts keeping people afloat. Just

We are far from 'normal' But those who are happy to sit WFH whilst still enjoying their deliveroo's and their amazon orders flooding in are the ones who think life is still normal.

I fear you are going to be sadly disappointed if you expect those things to be removed, even if the announcement is that we will take the next step on 21st June.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In St Ives earlier today it struck us that very few folks were wearing masks and social distancing seemed to be something we used to have to do. Point is that many are acting and behaving now as if all restrictions have already been lifted - and so all that will be achieved by keeping restrictions in place is that hospitality, theatre and events will be clobbered further. If so many are already behaving as they are and infections are spreading, is there any point in delaying. My instinct is to keep restrictions in place, but given how things are today I more inclined to think that I don’t see the point. Even with things kept as they are today, I just don’t see infection rate being any different in four weeks time - well I can’t see that it’ll be any lower.

As an aside there is some dismay in the St Ives area as covid infections are on the rise and restaurants are having to close - exacerbated by having G7 and the way that has been organised (media, delegates, police and security have been toing and froing from all over the place). Not good.

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Statistically your more likely to die by accident or injury than Covid. We need to start getting back to normal now.

That is incorrect, both statistically and grammatically.

The often quoted risk of accident/injury is a lifetime risk, the Covid risk we see is based on a much shorter exposure period. Risk needs to be based on time.

Less than 3000 people die on the roads each year, a lot, but a whole lot less than the Covid death toll.

The risk of Covid death has been estimated by Prof David Speigelhalter as roughly you other risks of death combined, disease, accident, injury, the lot. That is obviously age related, as is Covid death.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Who is gloating. If being obese is a significant contributory factor in hospitalisation or death from covid, it should be highlighted. If it hurts someone's feelings then so be it.
If they're for assisting to reduce death rates then they are useful to the appropriate authorities but I get a feeling that some here are suggesting that deaths in certain demographics are of little consequence.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Thread tidied up yet again and a couple of infractions handed out

lets get a few things straight

This thread is for how Covid has affected you
It is not to have a go at government policy
If you disagree with something a poster has said, then discuss it as adults, do not trade insults as this sets off the Fragger Alarm
and you dont want to do that.

Agree to disagree and move on

Nothing discussed here is going to change anything anywhere, so dont get het up about it

Lastly , we are a golf forum

We are a GOLF FORUM

Thread reopened

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the whole, my life has not been too badly affected by Coronavirus.
I appreciate I am one of the lucky ones and I genuinely sympathise with those who have not been so fortunate.