Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just watching the news I am confused as to how keeping things as they are might cause the current daily increase in infections to level off...otherwise 16,000 a day is possible by end of the month...the only thing that might have a levelling effect is the fact that as days pass ever more of us are vaccinated. Is that it?

Sounds like another 4 weeks of the current ‘steady as we go’...and hoping that the vaccination programme constrains growth in infection spread. I am not clear that that is the hope and expectation. And that concerns me - as it will have an impact on me.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Is the death of the old and obese a more acceptable death? How many other death demographics would be more acceptable?

It’s not about acceptable deaths. it’s more to calm the fear driven by watching the TV by people who’ll be majorly unaffected statistically.
It’s not good for mental health to be bombarding people with negativity and it won’t help recovery as a nation if everyone is soiling themselves as they’ve been psychologically abused.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Thread tidied up yet again and a couple of infractions handed out

lets get a few things straight

This thread is for how Covid has affected you
It is not to have a go at government policy
If you disagree with something a poster has said, then discuss it as adults, do not trade insults as this sets off the Fragger Alarm
and you dont want to do that.

Agree to disagree and move on

Nothing discussed here is going to change anything anywhere, so dont get het up about it

Lastly , we are a golf forum

We are a GOLF FORUM

Thread reopened

how comes I always miss the fun ?, I watched the football.That wasn’t fun either. Fragger should be handing out an infraction to Southgate.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Just watching the news I am confused as to how keeping things as they are might cause the current daily increase in infections to level off...otherwise 16,000 a day is possible by end of the month..

June 11...8,125 new cases ..... 17 deaths
June 12...7,738 new cases.......12 deaths
June 13...7,490 new cases.......8 deaths

Dam these daily increases.

RichA

Visit site

Reporting always drops off at the weekend. Tuesday is always a bad day. I think that's why the 7-day average is the most used stat.
Weekend data always light, Tuesday bounce might happen.
This. I've always been a bit of a stats bore and have watched the COVID numbers daily since it started. Wednesday, Thursday and the rolling 7-day average are the only realistic reflection of what's happening.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apologies for using the most current figures available.
SILH quoted the ''current daily increases''

How will what might happen on Tuesday affect what the PM will announce today?

It shouldn't. A few days data are not reliable enough to make a difference. He should base the decision on the last month's observations, some data, some genetics, some other considerations about forthcoming risks.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

reporting the figures for the weekend period always shows a drop as not all cases get reported due to lack of staff. It is why you should only look at the 7 day rolling average.

There's lies, damn lies and then there is statistics.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Reporting always drops off at the weekend. Tuesday is always a bad day. I think that's why the 7-day average is the most used stat.
Tuesday 4th of May 13 deaths
Tuesday 11th of May 13 deaths
Tuesday 18th of May 9 deaths
Tuesday 25th of May 7 deaths
Tuesday 1st of June 7 deaths
Tuesday 8th of June 11 deaths.

Please stop telling me figures drop off at the weekends, I know.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In St Ives earlier today it struck us that very few folks were wearing masks and social distancing seemed to be something we used to have to do. Point is that many are acting and behaving now as if all restrictions have already been lifted - and so all that will be achieved by keeping restrictions in place is that hospitality, theatre and events will be clobbered further. If so many are already behaving as they are and infections are spreading, is there any point in delaying. My instinct is to keep restrictions in place, but given how things are today I more inclined to think that I don’t see the point. Even with things kept as they are today, I just don’t see infection rate being any different in four weeks time - well I can’t see that it’ll be any lower.

As an aside there is some dismay in the St Ives area as covid infections are on the rise and restaurants are having to close - exacerbated by having G7 and the way that has been organised (media, delegates, police and security have been toing and froing from all over the place). Not good.

I wonder why infections are rising.

RichA

Visit site
Tuesday 4th of May 13 deaths
Tuesday 11th of May 13 deaths
Tuesday 18th of May 9 deaths
Tuesday 25th of May 7 deaths
Tuesday 1st of June 7 deaths
Tuesday 8th of June 11 deaths.

Please stop telling me figures drop off at the weekends, I know.
Your previous point inferred that rates were falling, based on data you quoted from Friday through Sunday. It made it look like you didn't know.
Awfully sorry. ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Your previous point inferred that rates were falling, based on data you quoted from Friday through Sunday. It made it look like you didn't know.
Awfully sorry. ?

I'm sorry, that wasn't meant to be just aimed at you.
Like many people, I have been watching the figures every day since they became available and I've tried to fact check everything I read and post. It's just annoying when the media spout misleading rubbish and Joe public swallow it hook line and sinker and repeat it willy nilly.
I understand that cases have increased recently but ''there are suggestions those admitted now are not as sick as those admitted last year. Patients appear to be younger and fitter and not needing as much treatment''.*
I guess it depends if the PM will take any notice of those suggestions.

* https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57417802

Tashyboy

Visit site
There’s a graph on the BBC news site showing what is predicted on June 21st, should we continue as per normal. It does not make good reading esp when you see where we were on May 16th

Tashyboy

Visit site
I'm sorry, that wasn't meant to be just aimed at you.
Like many people, I have been watching the figures every day since they became available and I've tried to fact check everything I read and post. It's just annoying when the media spout misleading rubbish and Joe public swallow it hook line and sinker and repeat it willy nilly.
I understand that cases have increased recently but ''there are suggestions those admitted now are not as sick as those admitted last year. Patients appear to be younger and fitter and not needing as much treatment''.*
I guess it depends if the PM will take any notice of those suggestions.

* https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57417802

Me and Missis T went out for a socially distanced meal in Mansfield for the first time in 18 months week last Saturday. It is not surprising re younger people getting Covid from what we saw ☹️