Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pfizer giving vaccines to everyone taking part in the Olympics and Paralympics. Not sure how I feel about that considering the need elsewhere.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pfizer giving vaccines to everyone taking part in the Olympics and Paralympics. Not sure how I feel about that considering the need elsewhere.
I did a quick Google and the 2016 Olympics had 10,500 athletes, the paralympics around 4,400. In effect, 15,000 vaccinces. Pfizer US, according to Google, can produce 10m vaccines a week so 15,000 is about 15 minutes worth of production (give or take). 30 minutes to cover all athletes with 2 jabs. That is just based on US production.

Huge promotional value for Pfizer, a massive advert going around the world.

I get your point but this allows a huge worldwide event to take place with minimal disruption to the supply chain.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did a quick Google and the 2016 Olympics had 10,500 athletes, the paralympics around 4,400. In effect, 15,000 vaccinces. Pfizer US, according to Google, can produce 10m vaccines a week so 15,000 is about 15 minutes worth of production (give or take). 30 minutes to cover all athletes with 2 jabs. That is just based on US production.

I get your point but this allows a huge worldwide event to take place with minimal disruption to the supply chain.

I see your point and that is why I am in 2 minds and, at the end of they day, Pfizer are free to do what they want but I also think, what if they wanted to move the Lions Tourists up the queue or vaccinate all the teams for the Euros etc, would I be happy if I was still waiting for my jab, not sure I would.

Now, if the athletes had to make themselves available for promotional material encouraging people to get vaccinated in exchange then I can see it as a possible win/win

D-S

Visit site
I assume they will also need to vaccinate everyone involved, not just the athletes. All the officials, stadium workers, Marshalls, transport workers, coaches, catering staff and cleaners at the village etc. etc. This, I guess, would be a very large number but still a relatively small amount of production time given the scale of vaccine production.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I assume they will also need to vaccinate everyone involved, not just the athletes. All the officials, stadium workers, Marshalls, transport workers, coaches, catering staff and cleaners at the village etc. etc. This, I guess, would be a very large number but still a relatively small amount of production time given the scale of vaccine production.
The numbers are starting to flow now regarding this. Apparently 60k in total, athletes, coaches, media, ancillary staff etc

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Also sends a good public health message - lots of fit, young people getting the vax.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also sends a good public health message - lots of fit, young people getting the vax.

This is the bit I agree with. Lots of fit young people from a huge spread of backgrounds could be wonderful for getting people to have their vaccination but would like to see some compulsory PR work in exchange for being vaccinated.

Counter to this though, what if some high profile athletes say no to being vaccinated, that would be front page news for the wrong reason. Are they allowed to compete? Has vaccination just become a pre-requisite for competing.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is the bit I agree with. Lots of fit young people from a huge spread of backgrounds could be wonderful for getting people to have their vaccination but would like to see some compulsory PR work in exchange for being vaccinated.

Counter to this though, what if some high profile athletes say no to being vaccinated, that would be front page news for the wrong reason. Are they allowed to compete? Has vaccination just become a pre-requisite for competing.

wait until one fails a drug test and blames it on the covid vaccine ;)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Apparently Chelsea & Leicester will be given 6,250 tickets each. If you want one you need to submit an ERP (Events Research Programme) consent form by May 10th and have a negative lateral flow test taken after 2.15pm on the 13th of May. You are also requested to take two PCR tests & mail them in. You will need to produce a ticket and a negative lateral flow test result at the gate to gain admission.

Presumably if you pay for a ticket & get a positive lateral flow test it comes under the heading tough :poop:...

What to do... :unsure:

D

Deleted member 16999

@Ethan Does the 2nd vaccination work straight away by simply boosting the 1st or is it like the 1st jab and takes a couple of weeks to reach effectiveness?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Ethan Does the 2nd vaccination work straight away by simply boosting the 1st or is it like the 1st jab and takes a couple of weeks to reach effectiveness?

You will get pretty good coverage from the first, 80-90% protection, with a good level of antibody protection, and the second kicks that up and helps extend immunity with a good effect on T-cells and immune memory. It probably takes a couple of weeks to get to peak effect but you are already pretty well protected.

D

Deleted member 16999

You will get pretty good coverage from the first, 80-90% protection, with a good level of antibody protection, and the second kicks that up and helps extend immunity with a good effect on T-cells and immune memory. It probably takes a couple of weeks to get to peak effect but you are already pretty well protected.
Thank you.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned but it seems to me that booking systems aren't talking to each other..
When I booked my 1st jab back in March I was able to book the 2nd jab too..booked it for 28th May.
Got a text from the GP this morning inviting me to book my 2nd jab....
Went through the process and got a date next Saturday, nearly 2 weeks earlier....
The 2 systems don't seem to sync as I then cancelled the jab on the 28th...
Still, a week tomorrow and I will be immortal and may start fancying Bill Gates:oops:(y):cool:

D

Deleted member 16999

Me, Wife and Son all had 2nd Jab yesterday (Pfizer) Wife’s arm is itchy around injection site, Son is knackered today, feels very lethargic, Me, nothing, arm fine, feeling fine, been out and played Golf.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned but it seems to me that booking systems aren't talking to each other..
When I booked my 1st jab back in March I was able to book the 2nd jab too..booked it for 28th May.
Got a text from the GP this morning inviting me to book my 2nd jab....
Went through the process and got a date next Saturday, nearly 2 weeks earlier....
The 2 systems don't seem to sync as I then cancelled the jab on the 28th...
Still, a week tomorrow and I will be immortal and may start fancying Bill Gates:oops:(y):cool:
I got an invite for my 1st from my hospital about a month after I got Pfizered via my GP. Told them no thanks, already in the queue elsewhere, pass it on.

They are really just making sure no one is falling through the gaps. No harm in inviting and cancelling invites.