Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Saw on the news last night that the gap between doses is to be reduced from 12 weeks to 8 for over-50s. Is there any detail on how this is to be achieved? The wife and I are due our second dose next month - are they going to bring existing appointments forward? Sounds like a logistical nightmare.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Saw on the news last night that the gap between doses is to be reduced from 12 weeks to 8 for over-50s. Is there any detail on how this is to be achieved? The wife and I are due our second dose next month - are they going to bring existing appointments forward? Sounds like a logistical nightmare.
I had my second yesterday. Was supposed to be in a couple of weeks.
Our local centre was just taking anyone who'd had a jab before late March. There may have been an official communication, but the main conduit seems to have been the local WhatsApp groups...(gossip, basically).

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Walked past our local vaccination centre this morning. Stopped to speak to one of the stewards, told him I had an appointment next month for my second jab and mentioned the news about the change from 12 weeks to 8. He said I could have it there and then if I wanted. Job done ?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Managed to bring my second jab forward 2 weeks so getting stabbed this Wed. Had a text to advise I could do it but bit of a faff in the end and have to cancel rather than change original appointment and then re-book. All sorted though and hope I don't react like I did to the first one.

yandabrown

Visit site
Managed to bring my second jab forward 2 weeks so getting stabbed this Wed. Had a text to advise I could do it but bit of a faff in the end and have to cancel rather than change original appointment and then re-book. All sorted though and hope I don't react like I did to the first one.
Ditto to all of this. ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

For the hassle I can't be bothered; only two and a half weeks away, I'm not risking giving up the appointments & not being able to book new ones. Just wish I'd seen this post before wasting half an hour on the phone to confirm that you had to cancel to rebook. That could be made clearer on the website.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
For the hassle I can't be bothered; only two and a half weeks away, I'm not risking giving up the appointments & not being able to book new ones. Just wish I'd seen this post before wasting half an hour on the phone to confirm that you had to cancel to rebook. That could be made clearer on the website.

Trust me I was very frustrated by the whole episode - "we can use either of your appointment numbers" - it didn't! Then phoned and got the runaround from voice message to voice message. In the end I risked losing the one I had booked to see what the outcome was and plenty free from tomorrow onwards.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Trust me I was very frustrated by the whole episode - "we can use either of your appointment numbers" - it didn't! Then phoned and got the runaround from voice message to voice message. In the end I risked losing the one I had booked to see what the outcome was and plenty free from tomorrow onwards.

Is the correct answer; used the one from the initial jab, I didn't exist. Used the second & it found me. As we have to go to an adjacent shopping town with plenty of restaurants for our second, we'd decided we were going out for a meal afterwards so we'll stick with plan A.

Reluctant to be critical of the fantastic efforts the NHS have made, but the website isn't their finest hour on the rebooking of earlier jabs.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just given my MiL (91 tomorrow) a hug...saying that with all that’s happened in her life this last year (she lost both of her siblings and a few close friends) it’s been upsetting for my wife especially not being able to be with her and support her knowing how upset she has been, and not able to give her a comforting hug and stay over.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
So we are going to see what increase in cases ,if any ,this new easement of restrictions causes.
No doubt some is expected, but when the figures come out it would be useful , IMHO, for all of us to know the following ( over and above the present figures given)
How many new cases were people who had been vaccinated once
How many new cases were people who had been vaccinated twice.
(Those who had been so vaccinated over three weeks previously.I.e Were considered "protected")

Also, how many of those became hospitalised.

These figures would hopefully spur those anti vaxxers into a change of mind.?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The day we hit the peak of daily cases in the UK (67,928) was January the 8th.
Not a very special day until you realise that it is 2 weeks after Christmas day.
The peak of daily deaths was 4 days later.
Of course about 30 million have had at least one jab since then but I feel the next 3-4 weeks will be pivotal.
Here's hoping

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What I did notice this weekend was the influx of fans to sporting events in America. The NHL playoffs started and there were over 50% capacity in Florida and Vegas.
The rights and wrongs of this can be debated but it did make me realise the difference between the two countries separated by the Atlantic.
America - the responsibility is very much with the individual. Over here, nope the state will tell you what to do.
Whether you do it or not is another matter but the ass-covering by politicians and scientists alike is overwhelming at times. They are all petrified of being exposed at a future inquiry.