Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What I did notice this weekend was the influx of fans to sporting events in America. The NHL playoffs started and there were over 50% capacity in Florida and Vegas.
The rights and wrongs of this can be debated but it did make me realise the difference between the two countries separated by the Atlantic.
America - the responsibility is very much with the individual. Over here, nope the state will tell you what to do.
Whether you do it or not is another matter but the ass-covering by politicians and scientists alike is overwhelming at times. They are all petrified of being exposed at a future inquiry.
I think the UK is somewhere in the middle of the US approach and say the Chinese approach. That applies to life in general in both countries I would say. The US is very much look after yourself because the state wont. The state definitely dips its toe into our affairs far more but on the whole is not oppressive, depending on your view of course. This situation is pretty unique and interference has been greater although not as all encompasing as in China for example. Whether you like that is a personal or political decision. I know I've talked to Americans about this type of thing before, not as many as you I'm sure, and the cultural differences between the UK and the US surrounding govt and how much impact govt should have are huge.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
What I did notice this weekend was the influx of fans to sporting events in America. The NHL playoffs started and there were over 50% capacity in Florida and Vegas.
The rights and wrongs of this can be debated but it did make me realise the difference between the two countries separated by the Atlantic.
America - the responsibility is very much with the individual. Over here, nope the state will tell you what to do.
Whether you do it or not is another matter but the ass-covering by politicians and scientists alike is overwhelming at times. They are all petrified of being exposed at a future inquiry.

It depends on the state in America. The conservative states are opening up or have been for awhile with no disastrous effects yet.
Once ofcom lift the rules on dissenting voices in the media I suspect they’ll be a lot of eye opening investigative journalism never mind the enquiry. Who took back handers where and from who and why.
Nothing will be done as it’ll be under the guise of - “it could of been worse, best to be over cautious” like swine flu.

But I’ll be a good tax paying citizen as me and the dogs have been allowed to the pub after work. C77A812A-86D9-49E6-8A3F-78804BF3E7A0.jpeg

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
It depends on the state in America. The conservative states are opening up or have been for awhile with no disastrous effects yet.
Once ofcom lift the rules on dissenting voices in the media I suspect they’ll be a lot of eye opening investigative journalism never mind the enquiry. Who took back handers where and from who and why.
Nothing will be done as it’ll be under the guise of - “it could of been worse, best to be over cautious” like swine flu.

But I’ll be a good tax paying citizen as me and the dogs have been allowed to the pub after work. View attachment 36656
Judging by the angle of the photo it’s time for you to go home.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Possible reason is that health care in America is paid for by the individual whereas here there's an NHS that needed protection from being overloaded.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Re the Indian variant, according to Matt Hancock most people in hospital in those areas had been eligible for a vaccine but had chosen not to have it - and urged anyone not sure whether to get jabbed to "look at what's happening in Bolton".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57150131

I suppose the good news is that the jab therefore seems to protect against it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re the Indian variant, according to Matt Hancock most people in hospital in those areas had been eligible for a vaccine but had chosen not to have it - and urged anyone not sure whether to get jabbed to "look at what's happening in Bolton".

Someone I know won't take it until next year when more have had it

His reasoning is they refusing to take liability for the vaccine

If he died for example but where as other jabs they will

I dunno how true but if it is just take liability if it's making people wary

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Someone I know won't take it until next year when more have had it

His reasoning is they refusing to take liability for the vaccine

If he died for example but where as other jabs they will

I dunno how true but if it is just take liability if it's making people wary

His choice

Possibly his funeral

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Yes, good news.But also indications for the real reasons for the surge. As it has always been. Not SD ing, ignoring restrictions and therefore susceptible to taking the virus on board, - of whatever variant.
Thus it was before vaccinations were available, and now , we know that we can lick this through sensible behaviour and vaccinations.
Take those away, and hey presto, surge time.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Yes, good news.But also indications for the real reasons for the surge. As it has always been. Not SD ing, ignoring restrictions and therefore susceptible to taking the virus on board, - of whatever variant.
Thus it was before vaccinations were available, and now , we know that we can lick this through sensible behaviour and vaccinations.
Take those away, and hey presto, surge time.

And yet there are plenty, some on here, who consider it unfair that those who have been vaccinated might get greater freedoms, like a vaccination passport for travel.

Here's the proof that it's necessary if certain things are to resume.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spoke to a neighbour in the pub last night, I asked if he'd been jabbed, he said he wasn't getting it as he doesn't believe in it ?
I couldn't be @rsed to push him on it but I know he and his mate are both huge conspiracy theory nutters.
Dosser!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Spoke to a neighbour in the pub last night, I asked if he'd been jabbed, he said he wasn't getting it as he doesn't believe in it ?
I couldn't be @rsed to push him on it but I know he and his mate are both huge conspiracy theory nutters.
Dosser!

I wonder if it's possible to make the vaccine in pill form that dissolves quickly in beer.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dosser!
I'd have pointed out to the clown that he wouldn't be in the pub now if people hadn't been vaccinated. Then walked away. He'd be dead to me.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it wrong that I think all those refusing the vaccine should be made to work in a Covid ward without PPE?! Might make them think twice about their decision??

:oops::oops::oops:

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Yep, good news and I am fairly confident that the data will go some way to supporting that. Also shows that it is very much a cultural thing (in the main) with regards vaccine refusal amongst BAME communities. Hopefully there will be renewed impetus within those communities from those who are in a position to do so to ensure that they do get themselves jabbed if eligible as they're going to be the ones dying in a couple of weeks time.