Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ref the first sentence, last paragraph, isn't it not quite accurate? At the time the vaccines were first available, some time ago, a person didn't have the choice of vaccine, nor did one seem to be on the horizon.
Could one afford to wait, given the figures for infection then.?
Now it is a little different, and , yes, if you were 40 you might be inclined to wait for the later alternative. Mind you, the really latest vaccines coming on stream may in the fullness of time present similar worries as the AZ?!!!
Who knows?

Well, the UK should have ordered much more Pfizer, but I agree that there isn't a patient-driven choice available, but the NHS had been choosing how to deploy the vaccine supply, and there is currently a decent supply available, enough to pause AZ pending sorting out these issues. So the comparisons with the pill or a long haul flight are not really all that relevant. And the numbers have changed quite a bit since they were first made.

There are reports emerging of another vascular adverse event associated with AZ, capillary leak syndrome, being discussed on medical sites. Not yet known whether truly related, or the scale, but a further illustration that an unbalanced order book makes you a hostage to fortune.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But if you got on a plane this summer and the pilot announced that all the aircraft safety features were down due, but the risk of he plane crashing was only 1 in 100,000, I think even the most relaxed passenger might take a pause and think about it. Especially if there was a different type of plane with fully functioning safety due to depart later.

My doc reckons I am at high risk off a blood clot just from flying so I would not get on either:ROFLMAO:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
E0r2SosXsAIxjMt.jpeg

Some of the Israeli data.

Short version - >90% reduction in symptomatic infection, asymptomatic infection, hospitalisation and death across almost every age group, nearly 100% for some.

Definitive evidence that the vaccine (Pfizer, in the case of Israel) is highly effective, and almost certainly massively reduces transmission, since you can't transmit if you don't get infection.

RichA

Visit site
View attachment 36485

Some of the Israeli data.

Short version - >90% reduction in symptomatic infection, asymptomatic infection, hospitalisation and death across almost every age group, nearly 100% for some.

Definitive evidence that the vaccine (Pfizer, in the case of Israel) is highly effective, and almost certainly massively reduces transmission, since you can't transmit if you don't get infection.
Is it possible that the same efforts we've seen in the last year or so could be mobilised to tackle diseases that have blighted the developing world for decades, or did we just get "lucky" with the nature of COVID?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it possible that the same efforts we've seen in the last year or so could be mobilised to tackle diseases that have blighted the developing world for decades, or did we just get "lucky" with the nature of COVID?

Well, I think some of the technology, mRNAs for example, had been used for some niche rare diseases, but have now gone mainstream with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, so we should expect to see that technology being used more, which could result in shorter development times. Previously vaccine development took a while to attenuate or weaken the virus, then find a way of packaging it, but mRNA is more like a firmware update, and can be updated and delivered much more quickly. Some of the alliances between scientists, regulators and funding bodies could also work more effectively now with their Covid experience. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation have spent a lot of money on malaria research. I bet their people are looking at applications on these new technologies.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had my 1st jab (AZ) mid-March and had the usual side effect of feeling tired / wiped out for a couple of days.

However, since then I have been feeling tired a lot of the time despite getting plenty of sleep.
On several occasions I have fallen asleep early evening and not woken until the next morning - as much as 15 hours sleep, yet felt that I could easily go back to sleep.
I was signed off work for a couple of weeks - back now, although called in sick today.

Had blood tests for a number of checks (kidney, liver, thyroid, cholesterol and vitamin D) - all cam e back fine except for very low Vit-D which I am now taking supplements for.

Question - Has any had similar or know of someone with similar after having the AZ Vaccine?
All that I've found online so far is the usual couple of days of tiredness.

Cheers

RichA

Visit site
Had my 1st jab (AZ) mid-March and had the usual side effect of feeling tired / wiped out for a couple of days.

However, since then I have been feeling tired a lot of the time despite getting plenty of sleep.
On several occasions I have fallen asleep early evening and not woken until the next morning - as much as 15 hours sleep, yet felt that I could easily go back to sleep.
I was signed off work for a couple of weeks - back now, although called in sick today.

Had blood tests for a number of checks (kidney, liver, thyroid, cholesterol and vitamin D) - all cam e back fine except for very low Vit-D which I am now taking supplements for.

Question - Has any had similar or know of someone with similar after having the AZ Vaccine?

Cheers
AZ1 was mid-March for me too. A bad night's interrupted sleep, but fine since.
Nobody I know has had any longer-term probs. I know people who know people who said they were bad for a week or 2, but haven't heard of anything worse.

Low Vit D can cause all sorts of fatigue and weakness issues - my wife suffered a few years ago.
I would trust in my doctors, but not be afraid to get a second opinion if supplements, diet and lifestyle changes don't improve things.
Don't underestimate the impact that lockdown has had on all of our mental and physical health. Hopefully, getting back to some kind of normality will sort out many of our niggles.

Good luck.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Cheers

The evidence on Vitamin D is mixed, but unless you are taking industrial quantities, taking it is unlikely to do any harm. I have taken it off and on myself.

You might find that your second vax helps. Some people who get one vax get a partial immune response which causes some of the symptoms you have, a bit like a mild version of long Covid, and the second vax, which brings almost everyone up to a strong immune response fixes it. It is a bit like your immune systems is partially activated but waiting for all its troops to assemble. The vax also helps a lot of people with long Covid, int3restingly, suggesting it is an immunological problem.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation have spent a lot of money on malaria research. I bet their people are looking at applications on these new technologies.
Hasn’t there been a malaria vaccine developed just recently? There was a mention in one of those comedy panel shows that they did a vaccine but because of Covid it didn’t even make it onto the cover of ‘vaccine monthly’.
While the details are usually made up for fun the premise usually is on topic and therefore I think there is a new vaccine against it, or at least a lot of progress.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The evidence on Vitamin D is mixed, but unless you are taking industrial quantities, taking it is unlikely to do any harm. I have taken it off and on myself.

You might find that your second vax helps. Some people who get one vax get a partial immune response which causes some of the symptoms you have, a bit like a mild version of long Covid, and the second vax, which brings almost everyone up to a strong immune response fixes it. It is a bit like your immune systems is partially activated but waiting for all its troops to assemble. The vax also helps a lot of people with long Covid, int3restingly, suggesting it is an immunological problem.

Ethan, somebody mentioned in passing that if you have muscle injuries then the vaccine can make them play up? I bushed off the comment as complete rubbish and Facebook talk for want of a better phrase

However when I had jab one the next day my feet ached like hell and I suffer from plantar fasciitis .. thought nothing of it

When golf returned my first round next day my feet were in agony

Now I feel it all time even with my insoles in rather than before never felt it unless I was bare foot

Is this just coincidence? Or could be a side effect?

I mean it doesn't effect me too much in sense I still play golf twice a week. Walk round it's just next day and when I get up after sitting now I feel it

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Thanks for your response Ethan....

I work in an office (WFH at the moment) so do not get that much exposure to sunlight, so I would imagine that low Vit D is not a new thing to my body.
The doctor prescribed 1 week supplements @ 40,000UI per day and now dropped to a regular 600UI.
We had some lovely weather during the 2 weeks that I was off sick, so plenty of time resting in the garden to help boost Vit D.

I turned 50 this year and have never felt the sudden and ongoing fatigue that I am experience at the moment.
Something has definitely happened in the past couple of months to cause this, and the only thing out of my normal routine was having the vaccine.
My eating & drinking has remained much the same (slight reduction in alcohol).
My fitness / weight has been impacted by the pandemic (gyms being shut), but not massively and why symptoms all of a sudden?

Very interesting that some people experience long covid symptoms after first jab and that they go away after the 2nd.
My 2nd jab in early June - I'll take a look to see if I can rebook / bring it forward.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ethan, somebody mentioned in passing that if you have muscle injuries then the vaccine can make them play up? I bushed off the comment as complete rubbish and Facebook talk for want of a better phrase

However when I had jab one the next day my feet ached like hell and I suffer from plantar fasciitis .. thought nothing of it

When golf returned my first round next day my feet were in agony

Now I feel it all time even with my insoles in rather than before never felt it unless I was bare foot

Is this just coincidence? Or could be a side effect?

I mean it doesn't effect me too much in sense I still play golf twice a week. Walk round it's just next day and when I get up after sitting now I feel it

I think it depends on the muscle injury. Myalgia (muscle pain) is a feature of various immunological and inflammatory processes, including post-infection and post-vaccination, but it should be fairly short. I guess that if you had plantar fasciitis, which is a chronic inflammatioory condition, then it could have a longer lasting effect. Again, the second one, if you haven't already had it, may help

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it depends on the muscle injury. Myalgia (muscle pain) is a feature of various immunological and inflammatory processes, including post-infection and post-vaccination, but it should be fairly short. I guess that if you had plantar fasciitis, which is a chronic inflammatioory condition, then it could have a longer lasting effect. Again, the second one, if you haven't already had it, may help
had my second one 21st april

the pain has been less yes but still there

thanks for the info, hopefully will more movement through golf will start to get used to the long walks again and just tail off.. hasnt affected my swing .. still rubbish

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for your response Ethan....

I work in an office (WFH at the moment) so do not get that much exposure to sunlight, so I would imagine that low Vit D is not a new thing to my body.
The doctor prescribed 1 week supplements @ 40,000UI per day and now dropped to a regular 600UI.
We had some lovely weather during the 2 weeks that I was off sick, so plenty of time resting in the garden to help boost Vit D.

I turned 50 this year and have never felt the sudden and ongoing fatigue that I am experience at the moment.
Something has definitely happened in the past couple of months to cause this, and the only thing out of my normal routine was having the vaccine.
My eating & drinking has remained much the same (slight reduction in alcohol).
My fitness / weight has been impacted by the pandemic (gyms being shut), but not massively and why symptoms all of a sudden?

Very interesting that some people experience long covid symptoms after first jab and that they go away after the 2nd.
My 2nd jab in early June - I'll take a look to see if I can rebook / bring it forward.

Low Vit D is extremely common in people who live in places without a lot of sunlight and in people with dark skin because melanin reduces natural Vat D production in response to sunlight. You have had a loading dose to get you back to normal and the 600IU dose is not a large dose but is just for maintenance, which is fine.

I hate to break it to you, but that tiredness, sore joints and general grumpiness might only get worse. Getting back to a decent fitness routine and eating better would probably help!