Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it an "image problem" or is it political shenanigans?
Or, is there some science driving the reticence?

All the NHS folk I know have been Pfizer'd... Coincidence or good reason?
In my wife's case who is NHS and a vaccinator the hospitals have the facilities to store the Pfiizer but hubs don't so go with the Az?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Good news that the UK Covid alert level has been dropped from 5 to 4 so things continue to go in the right direction....

Level five (red), the highest level, is when there is a "material risk of healthcare services being overwhelmed" within 21 days, and extremely strict social distancing is enforced.

Level four indicates a high or rising level of transmission, with social distancing still enforced.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it an "image problem" or is it political shenanigans?
Or, is there some science driving the reticence?

All the NHS folk I know have been Pfizer'd... Coincidence or good reason?

Pfizer was the first one available and most of the early vax were Pfizer. Hospitals also had better storage. But care homes got it too. Now some NHS hospitals are using AZ too.

The headline data is stellar for Pfizer, almost unbelievable, but is still very good for AZ. The AZ clinical programmes were more clunky and quirky and had more variability between them than Pfizer, which had clean, slick programmes and no quirks. AZ had very few older subjects in for long enough, so the hard data for older people (over 55) is virtually non-existent. Now, if you are happy to extrapolate earlier antibody data, that suggests older people will respond just as well to it, but regulators tend to require hard data, as they should. The decision to withhold AZ from older patients is therefore rational, but arguably a bit strict. AZ will have known that their trial programme did not investigate older people very well, so the controversy should not have been a surprise to them.

When the clinical programmes were being designed, we didn't know if any of these vax would even work, and it was hoped they might have an effectiveness of 60%. FDA said they would require 50%+ to approve. All the vax, including Sputnik but with the exception of the Chinese Sinovac product, comfortably exceed that benchmark, with several in the 90%+ range, which is almost unprecedented, so there really isn't a bad option.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm already on it....just because of what I've read on this site. Because of that my wife and I are booked in for jabs on 12 March.....no way I would have known if I only watched the news. Which comes around to my original comments and how people don't know that they can do it.....without breaking the rules. I assumed I couldn't, but checked anyway because of this thread. You shouldn't have to depend on word of mouth to find things out.

The news have been publicising the booking link though.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What rules do you believe have been broken ?

You cannot book a vaccine unless you are eligible for one in the area you live - it’s been explained to you a number of times now

No one has “broken any rules”

You have been passed information on here which has helped you get a vaccine and it’s good thing yet you point fingers at the people who have helped ?‍♂️
Indeed, when making my booking I was required to enter my d.o.b so it would be easy to reject my request based upon age if that was required to prevent any age-related rule breaking. There may indeed be such a check, but it certainly allowed a late-1958 baby to book.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
They seem to be racing through now.
Based on my social media feed a friend (46) in East London has been done yesterday and couple of people I know around 50 in the West End area of London.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This could come under random irritation but I'll stick with covid thread as it's related

My daughter went back to nursery Monday. Yesterday she had a runny nose. Today they asked us to get her tested

Now she has no symtoms but respect their ask. Runny nose in kids apparently a sign as they get it mild .. they said go local walk in at the library it's fine so we did

Well I did with her. My heart's broken. Try explaining to a 3 year old why I need to shove something in her nose. Crying the whole time

3 kits wasted as she grabbed the end

I had to pin her down in end which was horrible.

Will have results by 10

Just not nice

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This could come under random irritation but I'll stick with covid thread as it's related

My daughter went back to nursery Monday. Yesterday she had a runny nose. Today they asked us to get her tested

Now she has no symtoms but respect their ask. Runny nose in kids apparently a sign as they get it mild .. they said go local walk in at the library it's fine so we did

Well I did with her. My heart's broken. Try explaining to a 3 year old why I need to shove something in her nose. Crying the whole time

3 kits wasted as she grabbed the end

I had to pin her down in end which was horrible.

Will have results by 10

Just not nice
Not nice and I feel for you and your daughter, but being married to someone who works in a pre school I can see both sides of this. They've had to stay open the whole way through lockdown, and this time not just for children of key workers as they were during lockdown 1. Some of the parents have been so selfish/stupid you wouldn't believe...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not nice and I feel for you and your daughter, but being married to someone who works in a pre school I can see both sides of this. They've had to stay open the whole way through lockdown, and this time not just for children of key workers as they were during lockdown 1. Some of the parents have been so selfish/stupid you wouldn't believe...

Fully respect the schools decision just the actual test that was heart breaking

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's several comments about Long Covid. I was wondering if a person with ĹC can be infectious?

I believe no

If you get covid you will test positive for up to 90 days

But long covid is more fatigue etc trouble to breath

More taking longer to recover from what it does rather than covid itself