Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You meet a lovely lady and take her home. However she won't let you perform any deeds without protection. You run to the shop and they only have the thickest supersafe rubbers left, no fancy thin ones. You're not exactly going to say oh well and not buy any at all are you?

That's an equivalent to the vaccines.
That reminds me of the time I went to buy some and the woman asked me what size I needed, I said 'Large Please!'. I came out with a box of 500.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
If anyone could clarify re Covid vaccinations. Both mine and Missis Ts parents have had there first vaccines. All Four of them were given appointment times and dates for there second vaccination. Is that not the norm ?

It seems there are different methods. My wife and I each got a letter to book online. When it's done like that , you get a date for the first jab, and at the same time, a date for the second jab.
If you go ahead and receive the first jab, then you will know the second jab date.
However, in our case, before the first jab date, the local surgery rang with an almost immediate appointment. This was taken.
At that appointment, upon receiving the jab,( Pfizer vaccine), we were told that we would be contacted at a later time to offer a date for the second jab.
(Upon being given the first jab, the online appointments are automatically cancelled)
No contact has yet been made re the second jab.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Glad I got holidays booked while they was cheap and future uncertain. Bookings surged and prices have risen.
Looking to get away for my birthday October but may have to wait for a late deal for that one.
May, sept and November in though last year. Two rearranged from cancelled ones last year.

Couldn’t understand people saying it was a risk when I booked a couple of weeks ago. It was a no brainer to get them in the diary as prices were only ever going to go one way. If the worst had happened (or still does) then you cancel or it gets cancelled for you.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
We've chatted in the past on the flaws/risks of comparing stats across countries. The Beeb currently reporting this from Africa:

Infection in Nigerian state 'may top Africa's official total'
A Covid-19 antibodies survey in Nigeria suggests four million people in Lagos state alone have had the virus - more than has been officially recorded for the whole of Africa.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Still not sure how but my wife is booked in for her first jab next Sunday. After the initial invite they changed the guidelines on asthma and, as here is very mild, we assumed she would be back down the queue with the rest of the under 50s. Still, not going to turn it down and over the moon that she will soon have some protection.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Still not sure how but my wife is booked in for her first jab next Sunday. After the initial invite they changed the guidelines on asthma and, as here is very mild, we assumed she would be back down the queue with the rest of the under 50s. Still, not going to turn it down and over the moon that she will soon have some protection.
I guess there are some medical conditions where the gradation between what is considered severe and what is considered moderate or mild is rather difficult to pinpoint - and in some circumstances (eg a pandemic perhaps :) ) I guess it's not worth wasting time making sure absolutely everyone is in the exact right place in a queue. One of those "that's close enough; it'll do" situations. Count it as a wee lucky break & get her down the centre as soon as ... (y)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess there are some medical conditions where the gradation between what is considered severe and what is considered moderate or mild is rather difficult to pinpoint - and in some circumstances (eg a pandemic perhaps :) ) I guess it's not worth wasting time making sure absolutely everyone is in the exact right place in a queue. One of those "that's close enough; it'll do" situations. Count it as a wee lucky break & get her down the centre as soon as ... (y)

Exactly. At this stage, just vaccinate who you can, and that is quicker for all than moving people around and rebooking. The prioritisation criteria are rather clunky in places, and if you are offered one, take it, better use of everybody's time than generously trying to let someone else go first.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't know if this has been asked elsewhere but ...

Mrs B keeps her eye on the daily vaccination numbers (she ain't got a lot else to do at the mo) and yesterday exclaimed, " blimey, that's not many!" The number was 155K (or thereabouts). So I looked up the numbers. And it seems that since the end of January there been a slight but gradual fall in the numbers being done each day (using the rolling average that is). Yesterday was the third lowest daily total, and the day before was the lowest. Only day 1 on the chart sits between the two. The peak number was 30th Jan at about 540K and its being tailling off since. The question is: Is the programme being deliberately eased, or have we hit a buffer of aome kind?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Mrs B keeps her eye on the daily vaccination numbers (she ain't got a lot else to do at the mo) and yesterday exclaimed, " blimey, that's not many!" The number was 155K (or thereabouts). So I looked up the numbers. And it seems that since the end of January there been a slight but gradual fall in the numbers being done each day (using the rolling average that is). Yesterday was the third lowest daily total, and the day before was the lowest. Only day 1 on the chart sits between the two. The peak number was 30th Jan at about 540K and its being tailling off since. The question is: Is the programme being deliberately eased, or have we hit a buffer of aome kind?

It may be supply. It shouldn't be staff, tins of doctors and nurses signed up to help, including yours truly, but not yet called up.

Supply was known to have some dips in the delivery schedule. Because of the way it is distributed that will be seen as a slowing down or speeding up over days rather than a sudden crash in numbers. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The percentage already done is pretty high and plenty of momentum in the system.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Could it be we're now getting into the 'working age' groups, so more people will be booking them around weekends, days off etc?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It may be supply. It shouldn't be staff, tins of doctors and nurses signed up to help, including yours truly, but not yet called up.

Supply was known to have some dips in the delivery schedule. Because of the way it is distributed that will be seen as a slowing down or speeding up over days rather than a sudden crash in numbers. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The percentage already done is pretty high and plenty of momentum in the system.
Wasnt actually worried as such, but simply saw that there seemed to be a noticeable trend. Just hoping to see an upturn in the rolling average which will help show that its just a long wobbly line (as it should be) rather than a single peak hill (which is what it looks like now )

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wasnt actually worried as such, but simply saw that there seemed to be a noticeable trend. Just hoping to see an upturn in the rolling average which will help show that its just a long wobbly line (as it should be) rather than a single peak hill (which is what it looks like now )

The starting effort was massive, and was probably going to be hard to sustain. When you go to a care home and vax a few dozen people in one go, it racks the numbers up fast. The vax centres where you are waiting for people to turn up can be more variable. I have heard reports of GPs seeing quite a few people not attending.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sounds like it’s not required of schools to have all students back in on 8th March...they can phase return over a week. I’m guessing that most schools will take that route given teachers are going to have to supervise all students as they do their own testing...and that’s going to take time. Though it seems that schools would have two weeks to have all students take three tests - I guess that 2 weeks may be to accommodate students returning at end of w/c 8th March - possibly some will be returning on 15th March.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The starting effort was massive, and was probably going to be hard to sustain. When you go to a care home and vax a few dozen people in one go, it racks the numbers up fast. The vax centres where you are waiting for people to turn up can be more variable. I have heard reports of GPs seeing quite a few people not attending.
Absolutely. The effort was amazing. Goes to show what you can do if you put the task in the hands of the right people. As opposed to the wrong people as we may have seen elsewhere during this pandemic.