Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Fugee

Visit site
But having said that a lockdown dosnt seem to be working in other countries if you look at the death rate.

What's working? Stopping it? I don't think so. Slowing down the death rate so that the emergency services can help save some lives. A few countries have started to see the daily death rate drop on some days. That's what working means IMO. Uncontrolled, it's been doubling every three days.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Views - Is cutting the grass in your own place irresponsible? Not near anybody else and a still day. The views of several on here would suggest to me they think that it is wrong. Fresh air and exercise away from others for a limited time.

Took a car load of household rubbish to recycling earlier because our 3 week council collection is hopelessly inadequate and I dont want rubbish festering around full wheelie bins with gulls ripping it apart, not essential I suppose but needed. With everyone being at home there is more rubbish than normal. That's a 2 mile round trip. Is that bad/wrong behaviour too? Maintaining social distance and hand washing is the guidance i have from Govt and I'm doing that. Trips out are few and 99% of the time they involve the mrs's business, food shops, dog walking. If I am doing what Government recommends then that should be ok until directive changes, no?

Also seems because some beaches/parks were crowded yesterday that those of us who walked our dogs on a deserted beach were somehow wrong, partly because we drove there and back (15 miles maybe) which some deem un-nescessary and non essential. Does circumstance not come into it at all?

Expert on tv earlier saying 2 metres is enough to avoid virus in others breath, of course if it's windy and you are downwind of an 'infected' then you could in theory be more likely to catch some of that breath and become infected. Still said risk was low but a risk nonetheless.

Should I go stand in corner and think about what I've done/may do?
everything you say is ok for me except do you need to drive anywhere to walk your dog.

D

Deleted member 21258

The golfing holiday down to south coast for June, has just been cancelled. No surprised and a nice early cancellation done by the bond.

Glad really, as we would not have gone.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone know if ITVs breakfast show has gained viewers since Piers Morgan joined that team? I tend to watch BBC or Sky for news in the mornings but putting that man on beside the lovely Suzanne Reid ensures I can never watch it. Most annoying person on tv. The fake ratings-seeking devils advocate/pantomime villain persona he acts is utterly tedious.
It's a dilema isn't it? I like a dose of Susanna :love: but that would mean listening to him. In the end I decided that for my own health I dropped GMB as he just became too infuriating.

I quite liked Sky breakfast but it morphed into the Kay Burley show and I can't bear her either. A shame as the other presenters were really good. I don't know if that is a temporary move, I hope so.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
everything you say is ok for me except do you need to drive anywhere to walk your dog.
Sometimes you need to to escape the numbers. I could, and will, walk our dog around our estate a lot right now. So are lots of others though. I could walk into town and around the park, errrmmmm. Yesterday we drove 10-15 mins to an empty beach, I posted a picture further back. It was the most isolated I could have been whilst walking our dog yesterday.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Police stopped our neighbour earlier today on her daily walk into the village for bread - they've seen her several times before. Advice from them today, "buy in bulk or get fined."

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sometimes you need to to escape the numbers. I could, and will, walk our dog around our estate a lot right now. So are lots of others though. I could walk into town and around the park, errrmmmm. Yesterday we drove 10-15 mins to an empty beach, I posted a picture further back. It was the most isolated I could have been whilst walking our dog yesterday.
Get it but an RTA on the way isn’t good.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

Ironic thing is that we live in the sticks and I've been walking the dog in the fields near me for years and hardly see anyone from day to day. But over the weekend it has suddenly got a lot busier. Every Saturday morning for years I've done a 12K dog walk in the woods and across fields which is usually mostly deserted, Saturday there were people wandering round lost looking for footpath signs or staring at their phones trying to work out where they were on google maps. Bloody nightmare, sod off townies.....;)

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ironic thing is that we live in the sticks and I've been walking the dog in the fields near me for years and hardly see anyone from day to day. But over the weekend it has suddenly got a lot busier. Every Saturday morning for years I do a 12K dog walk in the woods and across fields which is usually mostly deserted, Saturday there were people wandering round lost looking for footpath signs or staring at their phones trying to work out where they were on google maps. Bloody nightmare, sod off townies.....;)
They may be locals that drive their dogs somewhere else normally.
But decided to stay local now.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What's working? Stopping it? I don't think so. Slowing down the death rate so that the emergency services can help save some lives. A few countries have started to see the daily death rate drop on some days. That's what working means IMO. Uncontrolled, it's been doubling every three days.
I see what your saying but our “ experts “ are telling us conflicting things.
Matt Hancock think we should all go out for some fresh air.
While most of the scientists not all advocate staying indoors.
You pick your “expert” according to what you belive.
They all need to sing from the same sheet so we know where we stand.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get it but an RTA on the way isn’t good.
We are in 'what if' territory there though. What if I don't walk the dog, I become unhealthy, stressed and have a heart attack? In to the hospital I go. I have taken that to an extreme but once you start going down the 'what if' route it can all get silly.

I am taking the risk assesment of what are the chances of me being in a RTA right now, driving on the roads I go on? The roads are as empty as I have ever seen them right now. People working from home, not going to the shops etc means the roads are very quiet. It is as low a risk as it has ever been for me.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Police stopped our neighbour earlier today on her daily walk into the village for bread - they've seen her several times before. Advice from them today, "buy in bulk or get fined."
Hardly see the police patrolling now days with all the cut backs. Even if you call them re something like a accident or a break in, it'll take them hours to attend, if they come out at all.:cry:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hardly see the police patrolling now days with all the cut backs. Even if you call them re something like a accident or a break in, it'll take them hours to attend, if they come out at all.:cry:
We were discussing this today.
Can’t remember the last time I seen a beat bobby. Or a patrol car for that matter.
Plenty in the city centre but not here.

D

Deleted member 16999

Tell that to the paramedics and firemen cutting you out your car.
It’s not nessesary to drive anywhere to walk your dog.
It’s about reducing the possibility that’s all.
It’s not necessary to own a dog, unless it’s got a purpose, ie police/customs etc.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I see what your saying but our “ experts “ are telling us conflicting things.
Matt Hancock think we should all go out for some fresh air.
While most of the scientists not all advocate staying indoors.
You pick your “expert” according to what you belive.
They all need to sing from the same sheet so we know where we stand.

Amongst all the experts advice there is a few absolutes. The numbers that have caught it, how infectious it seems to be and the numbers that have died. We don't need an expert to assess the risk. "Oh, go out and risk getting something that will KILL me. Stay in and reduce the risk of being KILLED."

Doesn't look like a tough one for me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A supplier of ours, we have been buying from them for 15yrs, has just sent an email stating that orders for the forseeable future will need to be paid for before they are shipped. They are facing this from their supplier and so they are having to do the same. This is an interesting change to how most of business works when they are long term customers. Clearly companies are worried about being caught with bad debt and are starting to protect themselves.