Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
For today's isolation I stupidly turned on the TV, I found out the following:

Piers Morgan condemns all those that are ignoring government advice whilst being less than 2m from co presenter.
Piers Morgan is a rude argumentative fool who was done over by the Health Secretary
Piers Morgan never lets anyone who disagrees with him finish their answer
@piersmorgan tweeter feed is a hoot
Piers Morgan is a prat.

I also learn that you should never shoot at a TV cop because you will always miss, even if your name is Charlie, and they never do.

I have learnt my lesson so now will go wash the car, finish cutting the grass and give the house its normal 1/2 hour clean.

Stay Safe, there are fools out their.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looks like the warnings are taking hold here at least. Melton High Street pretty much empty whereas on Friday you would not have known anything was happening. Part of that I suspect is that quite a number of shops are now closed.

Scarily, looked at the key worker list for my profession, obviously those involved in the administration of justice are key workers but pretty much the only other group that are also classed as that are those involved in the preparation and execution of wills. That brings the message home.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
It's clear we have differing opinions about how best to handle this crisis, and the truth is , none of us is in possession of all the facts.
But it is natural to contribute ones opinion about those making the decisions.
I am minded of a quote from some time ago that you may find relevant.
I leave it with you.

To quote Theodore Roosevelt:
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

I'm not suggesting we are cold and timid souls- but .... we are not in the arena.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It's clear we have differing opinions about how best to handle this crisis, and the truth is , none of us is in possession of all the facts.
I leave it with you.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

I'm not suggesting we are cold and timid souls- but .... we are not in the arena.

Good piece!

I'd add a rhetorical suggestion for people to consider. The Captain has been chosen, and he fights for our team. We can either fight with him or fight against him. What should we choose?

U

User62651

For today's isolation I stupidly turned on the TV, I found out the following:

Piers Morgan condemns all those that are ignoring government advice whilst being less than 2m from co presenter.
Piers Morgan is a rude argumentative fool who was done over by the Health Secretary
Piers Morgan never lets anyone who disagrees with him finish their answer
@piersmorgan tweeter feed is a hoot
Piers Morgan is a prat.

I also learn that you should never shoot at a TV cop because you will always miss, even if your name is Charlie, and they never do.

I have learnt my lesson so now will go wash the car, finish cutting the grass and give the house its normal 1/2 hour clean.

Stay Safe, there are fools out their.

Anyone know if ITVs breakfast show has gained viewers since Piers Morgan joined that team? I tend to watch BBC or Sky for news in the mornings but putting that man on beside the lovely Suzanne Reid ensures I can never watch it. Most annoying person on tv. The fake ratings-seeking devils advocate/pantomime villain persona he acts is utterly tedious.

D

Deleted member 25172

I leave it with you.

However true that is, there are certainly those that ignore what the people in the “arena” is asking. When reading here and in other places, it just baffles me that there seem to be quite a few that argue against the measurements taken, and proposed, upcoming measurements because it doesn’t fit their personal situation.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I feel for those that are truly vulnerable, lonely, suffering from extreme mental health issues etc, but to think that the decisions made now could be somehow personalised to fit the exact need of every single person is astounding.

D

Deleted member 16999

Just had our ASDA home delivery, knock on the door then the Lady stepped back while I unloaded it into the house.

She was telling me they had to call the Police to her home store this morning as families were taking their kids shopping with them and some of them were letting the kids run a round the store/wander off while the parents shopped, when the staff approached the parents asking them to control the kids they were threatened with violence!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry but that's pure deflection. In no way did I suggest our European neighbours were worth less and it is scurrilous to infer that I was demeaning their situation.

You were moaning about Hancock's statement. He was referring to the UK as was I.
...and all I am saying is that Hancock's statement that we in the UK somehow need to be out and about for exercise is just tosh...we no more need to be out than anyone in any other country - and they are all just having to get on with it - see @Hobbit.

For as long as a minister says that they government recognises the public need to be out and about for fitness reasons, many will just use that as an excuse to go out.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Good piece!

I'd add a rhetorical suggestion for people to consider. The Captain has been chosen, and he fights for our team. We can either fight with him or fight against him. What should we choose?
We fight with him...I'd just rather not be a member of the Light Brigade following Lord Cardigan.

Wolf

Visit site
We fight with him...I'd just rather not be a member of the Light Brigade following Lord Cardigan.
So you say fight with him, but can't help adding a little snipe at him in the very next sentence.

Considering what's going on and the fact he is in the circumstances doing a decent job and allowing the scientists and medical staff take centre stage and following their expert advise, instead of him merely doing what he or social media muppets think best, maybe you should take your own advice and fight with him and stop the snide remarks.

We aren't Italy, Spain or any other country with their laws, he has to abide by the laws and have things put in place before locking us all down. Maybe you or others think he isn't doing enough, but perhaps in this situation we can all put politic bias and personal opinion aside and simply follow the instructions given to make his job and the jobs those who actually know what they're doing a little easier.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not a fan of Boris at all but I think he's doing as well as can be expected. A situation like this is the last thing anyone was expecting, but I think he's handled it ok, he seems to be letting people who know what they're talking about do the talking. (Compare that to Trump in the same situation, who thinks he's a flipping expert on everything.) I think he's right not to order a lockdown too early as it would mean it has to be sustained for a longer period I believe which is difficult. I think he's doing fine anyway.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
So you say fight with him, but can't help adding a little snipe at him in he very next sentence.

Considering what's going on and the fact he is in the circumstances doing a decent job and allowing the scientists and medical staff take centre stage and following their expert advise, instead of him merely doing what he or social media muppets think best, maybe you should take your own advice and fight with him and stop the snide remarks.

We aren't Italy, Spain or any other country with their laws, he has to abide by the laws and have things put in place before locking us all down. Maybe you or others think he isn't doing enough, but perhaps in this situation we can all put politic bias and personal opinion aside and simply follow the instructions given to make his job and the jobs those who actually know what they're doing a little easier.

Trouble is current evidence would suggest not everyone is so understanding/sensible/compliant.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
We aren't Italy, Spain or any other country with their laws, he has to abide by the laws and have things put in place before locking us all down.

Just to also add, Lobardia only banned sports and outdoor activities last night, Not all of Italy. also it doesn't appear to be being enforced in smaller towns.

Fugee

Visit site
Just had our ASDA home delivery, knock on the door then the Lady stepped back while I unloaded it into the house.

She was telling me they had to call the Police to her home store this morning as families were taking their kids shopping with them and some of them were letting the kids run a round the store/wander off while the parents shopped, when the staff approached the parents asking them to control the kids they were threatened with violence!

And these are the sort of people that, if the measures work, will say it was all a fuss about nothing.

However, I cannot see how this is not going to affect everybody in some way sooner or later.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Course you are in more danger from your daughter's situation.
But, you going out puts you in additional danger, very small in comparison, but it is another risk
But an even bigger but, - By being outside, you are a risk to others. You may not intend to be in contact with others, but circumstances may arise that does bring you into contact( see silh post re his cyclist friend), and so you may spread the virus that you don't know you have. You probably haven't got it, but you don't know.
Sod's law is real?
She phones me when she’s in our road .
I go out while she puts her clothes in the washing machine and has a shower.
I make sure I stay away from everyone but if we have a lockdown I won’t be able to do this.
I will be in the shed soon so it might take a complete ban to sort it out.
But having said that a lockdown dosnt seem to be working in other countries if you look at the death rate.

User20204

Visit site
Just to also add, Lobardia only banned sports and outdoor activities last night, Not all of Italy. also it doesn't appear to be being enforced in smaller towns.

yet there are some on this very forum pointing their moral compass at us suggesting we are putting the whole countries health at risk.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Popped to Tesco last first thing (6am) as the local garage hadn’t had a night shift delivery. Got all the essentials including a 24 pack of loo roll (1 pack for 3 families). Had seen a fair amount of police fly last work in the early hours and the answer became apparmet when I got to Tesco. A digger had been used to take the 3 cash points from the wall. This resulted in half car park being cordoned off.

Drove past on way home at 8am and cars were queuing out of estate and onto main road......