Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I smiled at the end of last week when I saw two teams of girls playing football and they touched elbows when they walked on the pitch. As soon as the first goal was scored they were all over each other kissing and hugging!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
And we are very concerned about my son's work and his income.

If all the events and tours he's booked to work on are cancelled by the companies he works with, then he has no income - they might pay him a 'holding' percentage of what he would have invoiced them for - but there is absolutely no requirement for them to do so. He will have zero income and has no savings.

How the heck he will pay his rent, council tax, electricity and gas goodness only knows - and he does have to eat. Well actually I do know...will be us who pays...

But he is very fortunate that he has us. There are very many who could lose much, if not all, of their income - and will have no friendly Bank of MaD to ask for a bail out 'loan' - and even if they get a loan from somewhere many will struggle to pay it back unless it is spread out over a quite long period and with very low or zero interest rates.

I very much hope the chancellor considers all of these folks on Wednesday in the budget.

Genuine question.
what would you hope he does?

having read a few of your posts, your lad works in this industry through choice and so takes his chances. Events like this will always run with loose contracts as there is clearly no need for full time staff.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only way it has affected me is that I've got really wound up by the mass hysteria caused by the media!
Otherwise unaffected.
I'm a self-employed garden maintenance bod, therefore don't qualify for sick pay, therefore won't self-isolate should I inadvertently sneeze or cough.
I work outside and have just lost 5 months work due to the constant rain, I just can't afford to sit at home any more!!
Likewise but semi retired now so just lawns and hedges, did 3 hedges last week and hope to start mowing this week.
Being fairly rural not overly worried

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Experienced delays coming out of our Chinese factories in February but everyone seems to be getting back to work now. Shipping is still an issue as all the ships are in the wrong place. Airfreight costs have risen steeply and flights are less frequent.
Italy is an important market for us and much of our product goes to the cruise ship industry so it’s not great. However all that will recover eventually. People’s health is more important right now.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Certainly affected my daughter. She's supposed to be going to northern Italy, supervising a skiing trip with the school. The area is on lock down but the UK govt haven't advised not to travel... the insurance company won't pay up till the Foreign Office advises not to travel.
All ski resorts have shut down in Italy so the travel company should refund money. Crystal certainly are.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
We've delayed book a holiday as Mrs Imurg may have all leave cancelled if enough NHS staff get it or have to isolate for 2 weeks.
Whole units could be closed or have a skeleton staff if it gets bad enough...

Missis T has been out with some ex NHS pals for a curry tonight. Last conversation was this topic. They all said to a man, well woman “ you can shove it if the NHS comes calling”. Bottom line is they feel they have been shafted by governments for years re working conditions and wages. Have now retired, are the wrong side of 55 -60 have ailments and they want them to go back.
Be interesting.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My uncle died just after Christmas and lived in Hong Kong, my dad is still out there and I'm picking him up as we arranged that before the outbreak. If he's not symptomatic then it's business as usual (for now that is) however, if he gets ill then it's a 72 hour isolation whilst tests are done and if clear business as normal, if not we're all getting tested.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Experienced delays coming out of our Chinese factories in February but everyone seems to be getting back to work now. Shipping is still an issue as all the ships are in the wrong place. Airfreight costs have risen steeply and flights are less frequent.
Italy is an important market for us and much of our product goes to the cruise ship industry so it’s not great. However all that will recover eventually. People’s health is more important right now.
That's where my Smart Bidet toilet is coming from :eek:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My uncle died just after Christmas and lived in Hong Kong, my dad is still out there and I'm picking him up as we arranged that before the outbreak. If he's not symptomatic then it's business as usual (for now that is) however, if he gets ill then it's a 72 hour isolation whilst tests are done and if clear business as normal, if not we're all getting tested.
Cost a friend of mine £2.300 for 72 hour private testing and isolation after returning from China, luckily he got the all clear.

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m now stuck in Italy arrived Sunday had a brilliant days skiing yesterday never seen a resort or pistes so empty on a fine day with perfect conditions resort closed today awaiting news on travel and flight arrangements

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m now stuck in Italy arrived Sunday had a brilliant days skiing yesterday never seen a resort or pistes so empty on a fine day with perfect conditions resort closed today awaiting news on travel and flight arrangements

Stay safe...

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm currently skiing in sestriere. I got here Sunday night, had one day skiing and was told last night that all ski resorts are closed and we've got to wait for them to organise flights to get us home. gutted as snow is perfect atm too

Last edited: