Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I meant what would you like the chancellor to do...
Not your son. Obviously we can all only prepare do much ourselves.

The majority of people I know will struggle if they lose 2 weeks wages.

Unfortunately low hour contracts are here to stay. Its either that or fire 75% of people in them and jeep the ones ehi can guarantee availability for 39 hours plus.
I honestly do not know what the chancellor can do as I don't know what tools are at his disposal to help.

I guess he could allocate £XXXmillions to be provided through the UC system to those who lose their income due to measures taken by the government to delay the spread of the virus.

The government could also require all lenders to provide all borrowers or those with Credit Cards to pay with a payment holiday of a couple of months - though the lenders and Credit card companies would have to immediately suspend collection of claims through direct debits and ignore missed standing order or other payments as missed payments go straight onto the borrowers Credit Record - and they can be very difficult to get removed.

Likewise Councils could be required to suspend collection of Council Tax - but the government would have to cover councils for their loss of income.

What this whole crisis does also do is highlight the nature of working and living on a zero hours contract, and of life as self-employed. It's all fine for the individual whilst the work is there - but when it isn't the individual's life can become extremely difficult and precarious, and for many debts are very quickly racked up - debts that are very difficult to clear as once the income is lost, it is often lost for good - and does not come back later as additional income.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Home life, no difference, really starting to affect my work now...

2 planned works in Italy cancelled.
Event in Athens for April cancelled.
Israel imposing a 2 week isolation on arrival will delay 3 deployment projects
Next 2 days i am at the Excel for a large event
Next week flying to Belgrade for another large event.

flippin eck Root, it would be easier to write down what’s still normal in your life. ?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I honestly do not know what the chancellor can do as I don't know what tools are at his disposal to help.

I guess he could allocate £XXXmillions to be provided through the UC system to those who lose their income due to measures taken by the government to delay the spread of the virus.

The government could also require all lenders to provide all borrowers or those with Credit Cards to pay with a payment holiday of a couple of months - though the lenders and Credit card companies would have to immediately suspend collection of claims through direct debits and ignore missed standing order or other payments as missed payments go straight onto the borrowers Credit Record - and they can be very difficult to get removed.

Likewise Councils could be required to suspend collection of Council Tax - but the government would have to cover councils for their loss of income.

What this whole crisis does also do is highlight the nature of working and living on a zero hours contract, and of life as self-employed. It's all fine for the individual whilst the work is there - but when it isn't the individual's life can become extremely difficult and precarious, and for many debts are very quickly racked up - debts that are very difficult to clear as once the income is lost, it is often lost for good - and does not come back later as additional income.

I agree with the first part, but I really don’t see how it’s any different for self employed Or zero hour contracts. Everyone is responsible for accruing savings where possible for unforeseen problems. And everyone is going to lose out on money. As far as I’m aware, the is no legal obligation currently for companies to pay staff is there is a lockdown. You could argue that those on zero hours are people who generally don’t work huge hours and will miss out on less money. Statutory pay covers less than 1/4 of the average weekly salary of uk workers.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree with the first part, but I really don’t see how it’s any different for self employed Or zero hour contracts. Everyone is responsible for accruing savings where possible for unforeseen problems. And everyone is going to lose out on money. As far as I’m aware, the is no legal obligation currently for companies to pay staff is there is a lockdown. You could argue that those on zero hours are people who generally don’t work huge hours and will miss out on less money. Statutory pay covers less than 1/4 of the average weekly salary of uk workers.
Savings? You surely appreciate that many, many individuals and families have to eke out their income to make it stretch to the end of the month - indeed that's when many have to head to the food banks - so the idea of building a savings pot is for many simply fanciful.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-4234518/Savings-inequality-rise-gap-grows-25.html

I note that my son and his partner and now signed on for UC. He'll hear in a week how much they'll get and it'll be another four weeks before he gets his payment through. That's something the chancellor can fix tomorrow. Make the payment immediately it's approved.

He was also told at the interview that DWP are swamped by self-employed registering for UC as the PM told them to do - and so the normal timescales could be extended unless the chancellor does something - plus many wanting to register will have to be able to register without interview. You can register on-line but still might have to have an interview before your application is accepted and then approved (I'm not sure if all applicants have to have an interview but that may be the case)

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just been discussing this at work.....the conspiracy theorists are in full flow: so bearing in mind all thats going on in the world with carbon netural etc a suggested "solution" voiced by many is population control. So what better than a government started illness that could wipe out large portions of the old and infirm......

Going away from the old people death side but saw a tweet saying something like

environmentalists: We need to reduce our travel to get carbon neutral and save the planet.

Public : no way. Im not changing anything

Breaking news : we have a virus that is spreading

Public -: ban all travel now and give me tons of bog roll

Ofc once this is over we won't ease our way back to normal we will just start burning the jet oil full speed

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Savings? You surely appreciate that many, many individuals and families have to eke out their income to make it stretch to the end of the month - indeed that's when many have to head to the food banks - so the idea of building a savings pot is for many simply fanciful.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-4234518/Savings-inequality-rise-gap-grows-25.html

I note that my son and his partner and now signed on for UC. He'll hear in a week how much they'll get and it'll be another four weeks before he gets his payment through. That's something the chancellor can fix tomorrow. Make the payment immediately it's approved.

He was also told at the interview that DWP are swamped by self-employed registering for UC as the PM told them to do - and so the normal timescales could be extended unless the chancellor does something - plus many wanting to register will have to be able to register without interview. You can register on-line but still might have to have an interview before your application is accepted and then approved (I'm not sure if all applicants have to have an interview but that may be the case)

Yes lots do struggle. But your original point I asked about was simply about what the chancellor can do. That being said, those that struggle aren't all self employed or on zero contracts.

The rest our this discussion has moved on somewhat. Obviously lots struggle and will need help, but I stand by my option that lots is self inflicted. Brand new car, phone, sky TV etc etc. I'd love to know. How many people get and use their maximum mortgage and ignore the advise of rates rising.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Yes lots do struggle. But your original point I asked about was simply about what the chancellor can do. That being said, those that struggle aren't all self employed or on zero contracts.

The rest our this discussion has moved on somewhat. Obviously lots struggle and will need help, but I stand by my option that lots is self inflicted. Brand new car, phone, sky TV etc etc. I'd love to know. How many people get and use their maximum mortgage and ignore the advise of rates rising.

Perhaps that is because us old uns and successive governments have mostly treated the housing market as a way to make money and house prices are so out of whack with the average wage that people have to go to a maximum mortgage just to afford something vaguely decent.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I suggest that most of those who have this lot are not at the lower end of the income scale. Many, if not most, at the lower end will however have a car, a phone and a TV.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As someone with basically a maxed out mortgage £288,000 now after borrowing 60k for my loft recently .. now when you get a mortgage they stress test your wages to see if you can afford it if rates go up

I fixed my mortgage for 10 years to ride out brexit , if rates went up 5% or whatever it's affordable I would save less or cut out one of the car leases and use the savings to buy one

Many others in my age bracket don't have this luxury .

It's easy to say it's self inflicted if your not in that situation

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There's some nonsense on here about savings. There's a huge number of people in our country who live a pretty grim hand to mouth existence. About 8m have no savings, about 20m have <£1500. Are we suggesting that they're all feckless and have a big telly and an iphone?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
As someone with basically a maxed out mortgage £288,000 now after borrowing 60k for my loft recently .. now when you get a mortgage they stress test your wages to see if you can afford it if rates go up

I fixed my mortgage for 10 years to ride out brexit , if rates went up 5% or whatever it's affordable I would save less or cut out one of the car leases and use the savings to buy one

Many others in my age bracket don't have this luxury .

It's easy to say it's self inflicted if your not in that situation

i Quantified the self inflicted remark by saying it was those that took out luxury’s that would put them at Risk.
if you’re at 100% because you needed to do so to get on the ladder etc then obviously I sympathise. I just know lots who pay in the never never and then complain when the bubble bursts.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I suggest that most of those who have this lot are not at the lower end of the income scale. Many, if not most, at the lower end will however have a car, a phone and a TV.

And many will be paid for on monthly credit and renewed just to get the latest device - its a knife edge: then along comes a job problem (or virus) that then upsets the cash-flow and all hell breaks loose. Many could buy 2nd hand but don't !

Whose fault is it - the individual, banks for 'selling' easy payments, car makers for pushing opaque private cheap leasing, TV and advertisers for selling aspirational lifestyles - I've no idea. However do notice that often the feckless get support when the prudent end up paying their benefits/loses!

I had poor parents with no car etc who drummed into me that if you couldn't pay for it then either save up or do without and make sure you keep a 'rainy' day fund. They never had enough to lend us kids money, go on holidays eat out etc.

If people are asked to isolate there are those who will break ranks because they will be destitute so the Government need to make it a last resort. IMO because it will be unenforceable it will not be sustainable beyond a month or so. Its not a bright prospect.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And many will be paid for monthly and renewed just ti get the latest device: then along comes a job problem (or virus) that then upsets the cash-flow and all hell breaks loose. Many could buy 2nd hand but don't !

Whose fault is it - the individual, that banks for 'selling' easy payments TV and advertisers for selling aspirational lifestyles - I've no idea. However do notice that often the feckless get support when the prudent end up pay the benefits!

I had poor parents with no car etc who drummed into me that if you couldn't pay for it either save up or do without and make sure you keep a 'rainy' day fund.

If people are asked to isolate there are those who will break ranks because they will be destitute so the Government need to make it a last resort. IMO because it will be unenforceable it will not be sustainable beyond a month or so. Its not a bright prospect.

Life has drastically changed.

Jobs aren't as easy to come by so people have to do what they can to keep jobs. Lease a car can be only option to get to work cheapy as they can't save for the owning of an second hand one.

They don't always need the latest phone but in this day and age you need a phone of some kind to keep on top of life and jobs

Can't judge anyone until you been in their situation ..

I had a hire car pick me up few months ago and in convo he asked where I worked (hours drive) he said why don't you just work round here

I didn't reply what I wanted because it would be rude but round there the wages would be less than a 3rd than I'm being paid .. so I'd rather put the travel in for a better life

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Chelsea's second leg with Bayern now behind closed doors. Could be a blessing, we may be playing the Everton role in that one... :oops:
Good, feel our pain ?. You should have been gentler to us on Sunday.

It's a great shame. These evenings are about the atmosphere as much as the football.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Good, feel our pain ?. You should have been gentler to us on Sunday.

It's a great shame. These evenings are about the atmosphere as much as the football.

It is a great shame as what I saw in my one visit was a great city & superb hosts. Fancied making a break of it to see the place again and take in the game, glad I didn't talk Mrs. BiM into it now. Now that would be the definition of pain... :(